The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rescue Remedy

anyone ever used it on their horse(s)? I used it one time before for mine but I can't remember how much I gave her. She needs to be in her stall for a couple of days and she is going to HATE it so I've decided to give her some Rescue Remedy. It has been so muddy around here and she is lame from being sucked into the mud every time she moves. She's not used to be stalled for any length of time but we've decided to keep her in for at least two days. She'll have her fill of hay but she's still going to be a wreck. Anyway, do any of you know how much to give? It says to give 4 drops for a person but I don't know how to figure it out for a 1,000 pound horse.

Thanks!

Well, if it's 4 drops for an adult, figuring 150 pounds, you'd multiply that times 6.6 to get close to 1000. Which would be 26.4 drops. If it were me I'd round up to 27.

A dropper full.

But there are a ton of threads about it already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley View Post
    Well, if it's 4 drops for an adult, figuring 150 pounds, you'd multiply that times 6.6 to get close to 1000. Which would be 26.4 drops. If it were me I'd round up to 27.
    PLEASE!!!!! Do not dispense medical advice on matters of which you are uncertain!!
    (thank god this little gem of advice won't cause harm... but still!!)

To the OP, four drops.

Quote Originally Posted by OnyxThePony View Post
    PLEASE!!!!! Do not dispense medical advice on matters of which you are uncertain!!

To the OP, four drops.
    OK you beat me to it.
    Start with four drops or do a search in Horse Care forums.
    Go, Baby, Go......
    Aefvue Farms Footing Inspector

No offense to Beverly but I wouldn't have given my horse 27 drops. I think that's too much. It might be correct but I just think it's too much. I gave her about a dropper full.

Since a 5x dilution contains only one hundredth of a milligram of active ingredient per liter, the distinction between four drops and a dropper full is insignificant. A full liter would not harm your horse, from the perspective of the "active" ingredients. For instance, 1/100 mg of arsenic or strychnine would do your horse no harm whatsoever.

However, since Bach Rescue Remedy is 27% brandy, I would not advise that course of action.

Edited To clarify - I was referring to the full liter, not the dropperful, as an inadvisable action (since it would be like serving your horse a cup of brandy). Any amount between 0-1L does about the same thing.
    Last edited by HelloAgain; Dec. 7, 2008 at 07:56 PM.
    Proud Member: Bull-snap Haters Clique, Michigan Clique, and Appaloosa Clique!

Quote Originally Posted by OnyxThePony View Post

To the OP, four drops.
    There is no wizardry involved with calculating the dosage of a human medicine upward.

If you think the dosage for an adult human is what will work on a horse, you may have another think coming.

It would take more than a dropper full of brandy to inebriate a horse.

I have calculated the dosages for horses for a variety of homeopathic remedies over the years. Make that decades. With veterinary guidance. So far, so good.

Likewise, a good friend has, for decades, dosed DOWN on rescue remedy to add it to the cats' water whenever a new cat is added to the mix. Seems to work for her, and the cats.

You will find believers, and cynics here. I think perhaps the issue of mud has to be addressed because two days in does not sound like enough if she is lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    You will find believers, and cynics here. I think perhaps the issue of mud has to be addressed because two days in does not sound like enough if she is lame.
    Well, you might be right, but the poster merely queried about dosage of rescue remedy. I think it polite to just answer the question posed. Of course the OP still has to determine which among the answers s/he wants to go with, or research on previous threads.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloAgain View Post
    Since a 5x dilution contains only one hundredth of a milligram of active ingredient per liter, the distinction between four drops and a dropper full is insignificant. A full liter would not harm your horse, from the perspective of the "active" ingredients. For instance, 1/100 mg of arsenic or strychnine would do your horse no harm whatsoever.

However, since Bach Rescue Remedy is 27% brandy, I would not advise that course of action.

Edited To clarify - I was referring to the full liter, not the dropperful, as an inadvisable action (since it would be like serving your horse a cup of brandy). Any amount between 0-1L does about the same thing.

I knew it tasted familiar !!!!! I thought Scotch, tho
    Go, Baby, Go......

I have calculated the dosages for horses for a variety of homeopathic remedies over the years. Make that decades. With veterinary guidance. So far, so good.
    I hope your veterinary guidance has informed you that all medications are not created equal, and that human dosages cannot be uniformly extrapolated to other species. Different species have different sensitivities and abilities to metabolize the same substance.

If you gave the typical equine dose of ace to a bull, you'd kill it.

If you extrapolated the human dose of thyroxine to a dog, it would have no effect at all.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sing Mia Song View Post
    I hope your veterinary guidance has informed you that all medications are not created equal, and that human dosages cannot be uniformly extrapolated to other species. Different species have different sensitivities and abilities to metabolize the same substance.

If you extrapolated the human dose of thyroxine to a dog, it would have no effect at all.
    Agreed.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Quote Originally Posted by Sing Mia Song View Post

Yes, rather. I've had some pretty good guidance on polite, personal discussions versus haughty lectures, too. But this thread is focused on Rescue Remedy.

So I'm guessing that Bach's Rescue Remedy is available at health food stores???

If anyone can agree on the dosage, for sure please tell me. I've had a freind use a spray when some Amish Belgians were getting stuck on the road and she was trying to keep him from becoming stessed. Or he was stressed. She just pumped the spray inside his mouth, then she soon repeated it. I forget now what had happened to him, but he was uninjured but kind of stuck probably in his harness somehow.

Also a friend of mine used it on my horse when he had an injury and we were going to work on his boo boo. He wasn't panicked or anything but we wanted him calm. It was the Rescue Remedy and she only used a few drops and he's a large, heavy horse. She definitely didn't use a whole dropper. I've never dosed it but I think it's always safest to start with less then add as needed until you've reached the maximum dosage allowed. I thought the homeopathic meds are pretty harmless even if you give them a little too much. I do understand the concept of it, the
    infinitesimal element diluted until you have less than a whole molecule with the intended desire to stimulate ones immune system to fight off the offending bacteria or illness. I used to use homeopathic medicines and had a book or two for reference. I even had a homeopathic doctor but he wasn't very helpful.

I prefer a dropper..much better dosing control as I also use it myself.
    Go, Baby, Go......

well, the little bottle comes with the dropper and it really only holds 4 drops.

Yep, healthfood stores, though you might get way better deals on the net.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Be careful! It makes my Arabs hyper.

Yes, rather. I've had some pretty good guidance on polite, personal discussions versus haughty lectures, too. But this thread is focused on Rescue Remedy.
    Sorry to have offended you. After working in clinical practice for the last 13 years, I've seen a lot of people make the ASSumption that they can extrapolate human doses to animals--frequently with tragic consequences. Knowing that many people take this board as gospel, I'd hate someone to read your initial post and decide that they could accurately calculate the human to equine dosage.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

I guess maybe what I should've done from the beginning ( and will do from now on) is just call the manufacturer and ask them. Thanks everyone for all of your input but I"m sorry that this post caused some arguments.