The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Club foot or just high heels? picture included.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...2&id=505159033

I'm terrible at recognizing a club foot, but the right front in the above picture caught my eye. Club foot or just high heels? Keep in mind she is not standing square with it. I'm hoping to buy this horse, but a glance at this picture made me think twice.

Looks like a slightly clubbed foot. It also looks like the horse has a bowed tendon above the club foot.
    --o0o--

deville Guest

hey triniti

doesnt look normal to me, but photos can be verry misleading.

lets hear some more oppions.

High heels.

Tree

High heels from lack of wear/load due to sidedness - pick up the hooves and measure the collateral groove depth at the heels with a hoof pick. It should be no more or less than about 1 inches.

You would need to take better pictures Can you put the horse on a dry clean surface?

Also when you take pictures, put the Tulip option on for macro setting.

Sole, lateral and dorsal shots would be very helpful.

Regards,

Yes, I know, more and better pictures would help! I looked at the horse a couple days ago and noticed nothing, but now went back to emails and this picture I had been sent from the owner caught my eye. Unfortunately, this is all I have unless I drive several hours again.

Quote Originally Posted by irishcas View Post

Also when you take pictures, put the Tulip option on for macro setting.

Regards,
    Does that help with camera distortion? i got a new camera recently and I look at my hooves and then the photos and have no idea where MY hooves went.

Here's a photo markup showing the difference in the heel lengths.

Tree

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...ReneTiffin.jpg

Tree,

I see there is a significant difference and also that the angle is the same. Does this mean it's a high heel, or does the angle not have anything to do with it at all?

How are you telling the difference between a high heel and a club foot? I don't know why this is so hard for me to understand!

Quote Originally Posted by *Trinity* View Post
    Tree,

I see there is a significant difference and also that the angle is the same. Does this mean it's a high heel, or does the angle not have anything to do with it at all?

How are you telling the difference between a high heel and a club foot? I don't know why this is so hard for me to understand!
    What angle is the same? The LF angle is lower and the RF angle is steeper. Or are you talking about hooves matching the pastern angles?

The RF HPA (hoof pastern angle) is the same. The LF HPA is also the same but relatively speaking....each foot matches the pastern angle of the leg it is attached to.

Pastern angles can change according to the foot or independent of the foot. The way the RF was positioned in the photo, it matched up. However, position the RF leg differently and the HPA may no longer match up.

I'm going mainly by experience when I suggest that the RF isn't a club foot but simply a high heel situation instead.

Tree

[Edited to add]:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...neTiffin-1.jpg

I just made additional markings on your photo and found the RF hairline to be at 18 degrees while the LF was at 30 degrees. I did no do toe angles but the RF would be steeper and LF lower. If I were to estimate the toe angles I would put the LF at 45 and RF at between 50 and 55 degrees.
    Last edited by Tree; Dec. 6, 2008 at 12:02 PM. Reason: new markup photo added plus comments

You'd be better advised to post where you'll find a plethora of hoofcare professionals rather than the untrained profering opinion

http://www.horseshoes.com/forums/index.php?

Wow, that's great, Thomas! Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by *Trinity* View Post
    Tree,

Trinity:

While there are professionals on this list, Tree would not be one I'd recommend you listen to. Here is an example of how she works on Clubs http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m...nt=Cnv1751.jpg

Feel free to browse the whole album.

Thomas has given you a good site, but don't discount what everyone here has to say.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by irishcas View Post
    Trinity:

While there are professionals on this list, Tree would not be one I'd recommend you listen to. Here is an example of how she works on Clubs http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m...nt=Cnv1751.jpg

Feel free to browse the whole album.

Thomas has given you a good site, but don't discount what everyone here has to say.

Regards,
    Kim,

I'm sure you will continue to do this sort of thing so I will point out that Trinity's horse's foot isn't anything like the one in the photo link you so graciously posted from my photobucket gallery.

I sincerely hope that Trinity's horse never gets that bad!

Here's a composite comparing Trinity's horse to the real clubfoot photo from my album...before it was trimmed to show the condition it was in at that time.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m.../Cnv1698-1.jpg

Tree
    Last edited by Tree; Dec. 6, 2008 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tree View Post
    Kim,

I'm sure you will continue to do this sort of thing so I will point out that Trinity's horse's foot isn't anything like the one in the photo link you so graciously posted from my photobucket gallery. Tree
    I sincerely hope that Trinity's horse never gets that bad!

Here's a composite comparing Trinity's horse to the real clubfoot photo from my album...before it was trimmed to show the condition it was in at that time.

Hey it's a first. I'm in agreement with you.

I also hope that Trinity's horse never gets that bad.

I also hope she never takes advice from someone that makes such an appalling and amaturish mess of a horse's foot.

I also hope Trinity has the wit and wherewithall to protect her horse by distinguishing good advice from professionals from [that of others less qualified].
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Dec. 9, 2008 at 08:09 AM. Reason: inflammatory

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post
    Hey it's a first. I'm in agreement with you.

I also hope that Trinity's horse never gets that bad.
    On this we can agree then.

As far as the rest of what you had to say, it could apply to anyone and everyone who comes in here to either give or seek advice, do so with caution.

Tree

[quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tree View Post

That's a really good example of what a true clubfoot actually looks like

[QUOTE=BornToRide;3711935]

That's a really good example of what a true clubfoot actually looks like
    Thanks.

Tree