The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone have horse-themed Christmas tree decorations?

I'd love to do something different with the tree this year - tired of the same old decorations I've used for years (most of them "inherited" from our childhood tree). I want to find or make more horse-themed decorations, and am looking for inspiration.

Ideas? Photos? Links? Suggestions?

I've browsed here and there online, but keep thinking there must be a really cool source of decorations I'm overlooking.

I do have boxes of beads, fabric, and other craft items, so I can make some things, but I'm drawing a blank on ideas.

Last year I took pics of all the horses on the farm, boarders and ours as well. We cropped the pics in a circle and pasted them onto Christmas ornament graphics (through Printmaster or a similar program) We then put two pics back to back, glued them together and then took them to a local office supply store and had them laminated (very inexpensive) Punched a hole through them and added a plastic ornament hook. Everyone loved searching for pics of their horses on the tree and since they were double-sided, it didn't matter if they were shifted or moved around (our tree was outdoors). See pics at http://www.kodakgallery.com/ViewSlid....1228574771588

Breyer puts out new ornaments every year, porcelain ones, carousel horses, globes with horses scenes, blown ornaments, etc.

The Painted Pony ones are nice, too.

Check out e-bay... I've bought a few there and was also inspired to create some of my own from ornaments I saw there.

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

TONS of them, of all varieties. My favorites are little resin horses, very lifelike, and a resin horse trailer, too. They're heavy, though--need sturdy branches.
    Click here before you buy.

Yeah, quite a few actually. Started with the Rocking horses that Hallmark put out, set of 20? I don't have them all, but a goodly number. One a year, various colors. Then for a few years they did a miniature version of that, maybe 1 1/2" tall, one a year in various colors though they were different than the larger versions. Hallmark often puts out ornaments with horses as part of them. Made the sleigh that was on the Post Office stamp, probably close to 20 years ago. Anyway, I always check what Hallmark has in their collections for the season.

Same with other ornament makers. Horse things always sell well. Horse and sleigh is an icon for Christmas. Have found some ornaments in Western wear catalogs, cowboys, the Hunt folks on horses with snow. Other horse catalogs can have horse ornaments. I always check displays of ornaments at the stores, my local Tru-Value has been great for surprises in ornaments.

I might pick up a Breyer ornament or year marked horse after Christmas on sale, they are too pricy otherwise. $30 or more!

We do have other things to hang, some old family stuff, things the kids made when small. My favorite was a bob-tailed horse from my grandma, which belongs to my aunt from her childhood. Set up like a polo horse, just beautiful. Aunt lets me keep the horse. I am a sucker for sparkly things, glass, plastic, sequins, worse than a small kid! Lots of glittery things hanging. We do tie the top of tree up, heavy with ornaments and the cat gets enthralled. We learned after it fell once, shot ornaments everywhere! Amazing how far those styrofoam balls with satin will go!! Kept finding them for a long time. I think the cat stashed them and pulled them out later in the year.

Have to say though, tree has definately got a horse thing going, maybe 50-50 with other decorations. And horses are a big factor in the family, they pay the bills since husband is a Farrier.

OMG!!! I have to take pictures and post my ornaments today. One of the riders at the TR/Hippo center made them for the volunteer party...they are SO GORGEOUS! I'll post them later
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

I painted little wooden horse cutouts to look like all of my friends horses last year. It was not very hard and could very easily be turned into ornaments with some glue and a ribbon. (I made them into magnets.)

My husband is into fly fishing so I have to "share" our tree lol... it is a fishing/horse themed tree really. I've collected so many ornaments over the years! My parents would get me a new one every year... and it was always a horse-themed one. Here is a very festive horse ornament: http://www.cafepress.com/paintingpony.315522145

They've got a few other really cute ones there as well.

Yep! One year at one of those personalized ornament kiosks in the mall, I found a blonde lady riding a bay horse--she's dressed in a hunt coat and breeches, wearing a little hunt cap and everything! i bought it and the seller wrote "Kim and Tiki" with the year on it on the back.

I also have other ones, rocking horses, wooden horses, jumpers, bay horses of all sorts, and lots of meezers.

Kim
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Oh great ideas guys - keep them coming!

I like this one at painted pony:

http://www.cafepress.com/paintingpony.281482476

Making the ornaments by printing them out and laminating is also a great idea (and doesn't take too many brain cells, which is important!)

I have all the Breyer's racehorse ornaments (and all the Star Trek space ships. . .)
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

I have lots of horse themed decorations but...

My fantasy is to collect the old harness brass decorations, then fancy them up with christmas ribbons/bows and decorate a whole tree with them.
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

I have two xmas trees every year. One is regular ornaments and decs (mostly the ones I got as a kid) and one that is exclusively horsey. I have tons of ornaments that are horsey from various relatives over the years and I have horse xmas lights instead of regular lights on it. I even have a horse angel as the topper

I went to the Arabian Nationals in KY a few years ago... anyway there was a lady/artist there who had a bunch of little Arabian bust ornaments... you chose the one that most similar in type to your horse then she would custom paint it to have the same markings and color as your horse... wish I picked up a business card... she did not have a web site at the time though, and I have tried googling horse ornaments to see if I could recognize her work without any luck ... They were absolutly gorgeous, but also pretty expensive, and I just couldn't afford one back then.

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

Quote Originally Posted by hedmbl View Post
    I have two xmas trees every year. One is regular ornaments and decs (mostly the ones I got as a kid) and one that is exclusively horsey. I have tons of ornaments that are horsey from various relatives over the years and I have horse xmas lights instead of regular lights on it. I even have a horse angel as the topper
    Horse Christmas lights and a horse angel???? You must show me these!

I cannot do two trees, that's for sure! As it is tree number one is in front of the front door - the only space available!

I like the idea Cielo Azure said about harness brasses on ribbons, too. That would be neat. I suppose you could do sleigh bells, too.

Quote Originally Posted by twofatponies View Post
    Horse Christmas lights and a horse angel???? You must show me these!

I cannot do two trees, that's for sure! As it is tree number one is in front of the front door - the only space available!

I like the idea Cielo Azure said about harness brasses on ribbons, too. That would be neat. I suppose you could do sleigh bells, too.
    My trees are in my parents house since my condo here in CO is a tad too small plus it's a tradition for my sister and I to put up and decorate the trees every year. We always do them thanksgiving day while watching a Muppet's Christmas Carol and Home Alone. She now has to do 3 trees a year since she has her own house with her husband and new born now...they put their's up Oct 30, though My horsey tree is the upstairs tree and the downstairs one is the regular tree.

I'm not sure they make the lights I have anymore but they are similar to these:
    http://www.bronners.com/1121557.html
    only mine are of jumping horses.

My topper is one of a kind though since my grandma made it for me from scratch the year I was born (I think she could secretly see into the future! ).

I don't have a pic now since I'm at school. I'll grab a few when I go home for break though. I did go out and buy a mini xmas tree for my condo here though, I'm thinking it might be exclusively horsey too!

ETA: Just kidding! These are the ones I have:
    http://www.wildhorsefeathers.com/pro...sp?number=PL58

I have tons of horse ornaments that I have collected over the years! I have one that is a very authentic looking field boot in pewter that I got at the KHP. Saddles, the trailer-yes, very heavy!, dressage horses, jumpinging horses, western horses, Arabians, kids hobby horses, this years Hallmark "pony for Christmas" ornament is a dressage teddy bear! Until I pull them out, I can't remember all of them! (I also have deer and John Deere and dogs and cats, dolphins, whales, sail boats, sea turtles, shells, dinosuars, heirloom ones, and even a 6 pack of beer!) I always look for ornaments and have found some neat horse ones in odd places. Vacation is always a good place to look since there is often a Christmas store somewhere!

Well, yeah, now that you ask, I have my farrier's balls hanging from my Christmas tree.

Every year for several years, our farrier gave his clients tree ornaments stencilled with his logo and silhouettes of the various Western and English disciplines. He took quite a bit of kidding about it!
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

I picked up a few "horses" as tree decorations a while ago and now every year I look for a new one to add to the tree. Even found a tiny trailer last year. I've got about 30 horses and a couple of dozen, shiny red apple ornaments.
    Above the fireplace I do a string of red rocking horses along the mantle.

And of course, all the animals have their own stockings.

My favorite is the sign that goes above the puppies Christmas stockings:
    "Dear Santa, We can explain."