The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best Coffee Grinder (doesn't die fast) for meds, flax seed...

My last coffee grinder died so I bought a new one when we had a bug going around the farm and a lot of horses needed antibiotics ground up in their feed. It died already.

My first grinder was the Braun. It looked like this one but was only about $15. http://about.pricegrabber.com/search...bout_coffeetea

And the last one was the Hamilton Beach Custom Grind which died more quickly than the Braun. http://www.everyespressomachine.com/...=FR190-HMB1085

Has anyone found that some machines hold up better to regular use and sometimes frequent use? Perhaps the fine powder created by grinding pills get into the mechanism more than coffee does and that is why it stops working. Don't know. But before I go out and drop $20 or more I thought I'd check in for the COTHers experience. TIA!
    Altamont Sport Horses
    Trakehners * Knabstruppers * Appaloosa Sport Horses
    Home of stallions: Ambrosius af Asgard "Atlantis" & Hollywood Hot Spot
    Birmingham, AL

We use a mini food processor. We killed many coffee grinders, which I donated while cleaning out my cupboards. Then I found the mini food processor (also in my cupboard). It's lasted nearly 2 years grinding meds.

There are many different brands, the 3 cup size. Priced around $40 or so.

Brilliant! We have a little semi-useless plastic pill crusher at the barn, but last time I needed to crush some bute tablets I couldn't find it, so I put them on a piece of paper and gently tapped them with a hammer until they were all crushed.

Caveman style horse doctoring!

Does anyone use a mortar and pestle? I think that would work as well as anything.

My other "can't find the pill crusher" solution is to plop the pills into a small amount of warm water and let them sit for 10 minutes; they usually crumble and dissolve.

This is good timing for this post because I was wondering the same thing. I was thinking about picking up a grinder from work. There are mortar and pestle there but that would only be effective for small amounts. I am just looking to grind up some flax to put in the horse treats I am making.

I have had had two Braun grinders for years now, and they are still going strong. I think they are terrific.

I had a braun that lasted some 4+ years. When it finally broke, it was just the tips of the cutting blades that snapped off. The motor was fine. I think it died because I was leaving it in the barn, with no protection from humidity/ mold/ extreme temps.

I'd go with the Braun again.

I use Braun's too, both for my guys and commercially.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

I have a small mini-Cuisinart that has been around for about 10 years now...everything from coffee beans to bute and flax. I just have to remember to rinse out the bute before I grind my coffee. ha
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

Man, rinse it out WELL.

If you just stick with pills and dry stuff, I'd think a grinder would last forever. Oily seeds are hell on blades and "parts". Skip the flax grinding--it's a waste of time anyhow.
    Click here before you buy.

My Krups one dedicated to pill grinding just died after 9 years of use....so it held up fine!
    Some pills dissolve well and some don't........SMZs dissolve, Doxycycline pills do not....and when your horse is on 80 pills a day of Doxy x 12 weeks for Lymes it is grinder time! (That was until I discovered Doxy comes in an apple flavored powder!!)

I have a $15 Black and Decker one that's gone through two rounds of doxy and a few SMZs and is still going strong. (I get my bute in the powdered/flavoured form, so not exercise for the grinder there. )

You can't grind doxy with a mortar and pestle - nor with a pill crusher, at least if you want to have hands left. I did about a half a week's worth using a combination of pliers and a pill crusher (had to break them initially with the pliers first, or the crusher just wouldn't do anything), and got blisters. I kid you not.
    Proud member of the EDRF

I use a mortar and pestle for meds, but fortunately rarely have to do large quantities. I like the idea of using a mini food processor though. Would make it easy to mix in other items as needed too. Will have to search tag sales in the spring.

I used the grinder by Black & Decker for years to grind up tablets. Life expectancey was 2-3 years.

WalMart offers them for around $15.

I have a mortar and pestle, but it's hell on my arthritis.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

BTW, bute dissolves in warm water lickety split.
    Click here before you buy.

I use the hamelton beach grinder and haven't had a single problem with it yet (crossing fingers)

What I find is the best though for pills is just crushing it between the teeth of the wrench so much faster and super easy, just do it over your feed bucket

A friend of mine has this to grind flax and it's fantastic!!! Does quite a bit in one shot and is much faster to operate than the typical coffee grinder. http://www.mrcoffee.com/Product.aspx?pid=56