The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Choosing BOSS or Flax? Which is better?

Hi,
    With the cost of flax about $1/lb. and BOSS about $.70/lb. here, I'm thinking of reducing and feeding only one of them vs. both. Which seed provides my horse the most benefit? He is 7 yrs. old and in good health and works 4-5 days/week. I feed mainly for healthy coat and hooves, there is no real "need" for either one, though it makes ME feel good. He is on a forage diet with a good vit/min. supplement and 3/4 cup each of BOSS and Flax. No grain. If you had to cut 1, which would it be?
    Thanks.

I would choose flax. Flax is high in omega 3s, while BOSS is high in omega 6s.

Absolutely flax, never BOSS. Flax is also a great source of protein and notable anti-inflammatory properties. BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) will exasorbate any inflammatory processes occuring in a horse.

If you wanted to get Omega 3&6's you could feed Omega Horseshine - that is $1.50 a pound though - same idea as feeding flax and boss (flax provides omega 3, boss provides omega 6) but .20 cents cheaper per pound that what you're doing right now.

If you want to pick just one though, def the flax over boss.
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

My math may be poor, but if flax is $1 a pound, and Boss is .70, the average is .85, meaning that feeding, say half and half, you're still only paying .85 per pound, as opposed to the Horseshine, at $1.50 per pound, as I understand it. In essence, for your computation to be correct, the OP would have to give one pound of each, meaning two pounds, as opposed to one pound of the Horseshine.

OK, having said all of that, I love fresh ground flax. I grind it in a blender every feeding, and serve it up. It gives me omething to do while the beet pulp is draining out in my homemade sieve in the wash stall....
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

I feed my TB BOSS. I like the results I have gotten from it.

Flax is more expensive around here. And since I am at a boarding barn I have to grind it ahead of time and add it to his feed and I can only keep Flax for so long before it spoils.

So to avoid all of that I bake horse cookies with Flax in them and just give that to him when I am there.

Default Thank you all

Well, it is unanimous that flax provides the most bang for my buck. Thanks for all the input!

Quote Originally Posted by Lusoluv View Post
    Well, it is unanimous that flax provides the most bang for my buck. Thanks for all the input!
    except for the post that made the case for feed both and it works out to about .85 a pound Why not mix it? I dont see how feeding the more expensive product is more bang for the buck, especially if you end up feeding more to compensate for taking away the other.
    BTW- dont take offence to my post. Im just killing time by bumming around the message boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Cayusepapoose View Post
    BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) will exasorbate any inflammatory processes occuring in a horse.
    I have never heard this before, is there anything to back this up? It might explain some things I have been experiencing.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

No PonyPile, I'm not offended by your post, but thanks for asking. I was actually half-thinking someone might say I was 'cheap' for even posing the question. I lost my full time job so I need to make some cuts here and there, as long as they don't jeopardize my horse's well-being. Again, he is young and in good health and probably wouldn't show any ill-effects of cutting both BOSS and flax, but it makes ME feel go to give him an extra goodie/Omegas. But since he doesn't need these, I'm opting to just feed 1 (flax) and am not going to double the portion just because I'm eliminating BOSS. He's an easy keeper and doesn't get grain, just a good vit/min. suppl. and lots of hay. Thanks!

I have been trying to figure out what the huge deal is with BOSS. It seems to me that there is a ton of waste involved in feeding it. When you feed it, I assume you are feeding the whole seed, as opposed to just the hearts (which would be even more expensive). So, the whole shell is waste. So, a pound of seeds maybe yields 50% heart (this is a guess), which is where the good stuff is, correct?

You feed flax, and you are feeding no waste, the whole seed is good stuff.

More than one nutritionist has told me feeding BOSS not only a waste of time, but also of $$. To get any real benefit you have to feed a lot of it, and around here they are near $20 a bag.

JMO, but had to add it.

Default I thought this was helpful !

http://www.understanding-horse-nutri...wer-seeds.html

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=57

http://www.wellbalancedhorse.com/
    This is my favorite article--
    I feed both and have excellent results-- I like them in combination .

Quote Originally Posted by Lusoluv View Post
    I lost my full time job so I need to make some cuts here and there, as long as they don't jeopardize my horse's well-being. Again, he is young and in good health and probably wouldn't show any ill-effects of cutting both BOSS and flax, but it makes ME feel go to give him an extra goodie/Omegas. But since he doesn't need these, I'm opting to just feed 1 (flax) and am not going to double the portion just because I'm eliminating BOSS. He's an easy keeper and doesn't get grain, just a good vit/min. suppl. and lots of hay. Thanks!
    Lusoluv, If he does not *need* it and you are just doing it to make yourself feel better, then cut both out. Give him extra carrots and he will be just as happy
    It will be easier on your finances as well,

Quote Originally Posted by spacehorse View Post
    I have been trying to figure out what the huge deal is with BOSS. It seems to me that there is a ton of waste involved in feeding it. When you feed it, I assume you are feeding the whole seed, as opposed to just the hearts (which would be even more expensive). So, the whole shell is waste. So, a pound of seeds maybe yields 50% heart (this is a guess), which is where the good stuff is, correct?
    B-O-S-S = Black Oil Sunflower Seeds.
    The oils are in the shell, so the shell is not a waste at all.

I'm not feeding BOSS or flax right now because I am broke, broke, broke but when I was feeding them my bay had the softest coat in the barn.
    Founding Member of "I Kept 'Off Topic Day!' Open"

I am quite aware what BOSS is. I was always under the impression that there was a SEED in the SHELL. I have never heard of birds eating the shell. I thought they usually wasted that and ate the HEART of the sunflower, the SEED. Why would they sell just sunflower hearts if the nutrients were in the shell?

SEED=HEART
    Last edited by spacehorse; Dec. 8, 2008 at 01:40 PM. Reason: clairfy