The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rara Equus Artwork?

Just sitting here bawling my eyes out over Avery and the other losses & hardships on the board tonight, and I keep looking over at the banner ads to the right-- the Rara Equus banner, with the Dick and Jane artwork is really catching my eye! Particularly the girl in the yellow shirt hugging the bay baby.

I'm kind of hung up on my bay baby boy, and thinking that'd be cool art to have outside his stall or over my desk. Anybody know who did it? Where I can get it?

Funny...horses seem to be like that...one minute you're weeping, the next you're coveting... hmmmm...
    Foxwin Farm
    Home of The Bay Boy Wonder
    and other fine Morgan Sporthorses

Don't know who did it but it looks like 50s style similar to Norman Rockwell's works.

I know EXACTLY where that artwork is from, and I've emailed Rara Equus about it to compliment their use of it, but I do hope they got proper permission to use it!

It's from a children's book I had as a child, probably a Little Golden book, called Clip Clop.

Clip Clop is about to get his first pair of shoes -- and he imagines himself in all kinds of (human) shoes, ultimately thinking he's probably going to get saddle shoes (cute notion) ... then, of course, the farrier comes and he finds out about -- horse shoes.

CurlyLindsay (I'm not sure if that is the exact spelling) a member on here is the owner of RaraEquus.

You should ask her, she's very nice

I like the artwork as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rallycairn View Post
    I know EXACTLY where that artwork is from, and I've emailed Rara Equus about it to compliment their use of it, but I do hope they got proper permission to use it!

It's from a children's book I had as a child, probably a Little Golden book, called Clip Clop.

Clip Clop is about to get his first pair of shoes -- and he imagines himself in all kinds of (human) shoes, ultimately thinking he's probably going to get saddle shoes (cute notion) ... then, of course, the farrier comes and he finds out about -- horse shoes.

Oh my goodness your right that is from Clip Clop. I love that book. I still have it and I just read it to my 2 year old son (he likes it too)

There are several books named Clip Clop out there, I just found. The one with this artwork is the adorable Whitman Tell-A-Tale book by Nancy Hoag, illustrations by Florence Sarah Winship.

I'm gonna have to ask my mom if she still has my copy -- she kept virtually all my children's books for my nieces and nephew to use when they were at her house, and the youngest in the family is still young enough to have storybooks read to her -- so I hope we still have Clip Clop and that it's not worn completely out!

I know I made a few crayon marks in my copy, but if I could see it again I bet I'll have a whole new appreciation for the artwork.

That book was published in 1958. So as with all works prior to 1964, unless the copyright has been renewed it would be in the public domain now.

Oh, that's hysterical! My bay baby boy is quite fleet of foot, an elegant dancer, and, god bless him, he fancies himself quite the dandy. He'd be a shoe whore if he knew what they were all about! That's perfect for him! Now, I am on a Clip Clop Quest!

Thanks, guys, you brightened a tough day!
    Foxwin Farm

Glad we were able to help!

Hey, are those your Morgan babies at Foxwin farm? BEAUTIFUL!

Hope you enjoy _Clip Clop_. There were a couple of copies available on abebooks.com. I may have to get one myself if my original is no longer available! When I first looked at the wonderful Rara Equus ad, I actually thought for a moment they might be advertising Clip Clop and other "vintage" books, lol.

Glad we were able to help!

Hey, are those your Morgan babies at Foxwin farm? BEAUTIFUL!

Hope you enjoy Clip Clop.
    Thanks for the compliment on the Foxwin beauties; they're all loves, but this one is the dandy in question, my bay baby boy:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/foxwinf...7604883480423/ (Good gravy, those pictures are now 8 months old-- he's huge now compared to then, I need to update!)

I did order myself a copy of Clip Clop! Can't wait until it comes-- if I like how it looks in book form, I might order a second one to keep intact while I (horrors!) dismantle one and mount the pictures!
    Foxwin Farm

I'm so glad you all like the artwork! I have just been in love with Florence Sarah Winship's illustrations since my designer pitched this artwork and introduced me. (Yes, as far as we can tell it is public domain)

It's perfect art for our store because we're all about the hard-to-find and randomly delightful tack items.

And on that note, too... know that it worked! I'm shopping...

Neat site; there goes my Christmas bonus...
    Foxwin Farm

Default OMG, It's Sherman!!!

My copy of Clip Clop arrived today, and I am so glad I ordered it-- this is my bay baby boy, in drag, just as we always think of him!

I told you he was a dandy, but more than that, he's fancy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ClipClop1small.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	165.2 KB 
ID:	23315  
    Foxwin Farm