The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Spinoff from What is a Barefoot trimmer/ for Dune

Here is an example of a '' high level '' competition horses sans iron.She is the top rider in our area in her weight division.She had intended to '' take it easy '' this year as her horse has been out of shoes only since last spring, but wound up with 5 BC's and 10 Top Tens.She is in the Rocky Mt. Region for those of you that might think she rides on forgiving terrain.She is our overall BC for 08 in the Mt. Region. Her peers told her she was crazy and it could not be done.
    Here ya go :

http://renegadehoofboots.com/renegad...-bcs-for-2008/

WEll, hey, I've never gotten my own thread before. THANKS! Not to take anything away from her, because the girl has obviously done a LOT with her horse....but I don't consider having to use boots as doing it truly barefoot. Oh, I know, you guys are not going to be happy with me about that, but sorry that's *my* opinion. I wonder, too, is she in the minority?? In other words, are barefoot horses the minority in Endurance? Now, you guys be truthful, because I have NO idea about what goes on at those events. Also, I guess that I should've specified Olympic disciplines: GP dressage/GP jumping/ADV eventing...heck, I'd even throw in racing to make some of you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dune View Post
    WEll, hey, I've never gotten my own thread before. THANKS! Not to take anything away from her, because the girl has obviously done a LOT with her horse....but I don't consider having to use boots as doing it truly barefoot. Oh, I know, you guys are not going to be happy with me about that, but sorry that's *my* opinion. I wonder, too, is she in the minority?? In other words, are barefoot horses the minority in Endurance? Now, you guys be truthful, because I have NO idea about what goes on at those events. Also, I guess that I should've specified Olympic disciplines: GP dressage/GP jumping/ADV eventing...heck, I'd even throw in racing to make some of you happy.
    I agree with ya. Hoof boots actually provide MORE covering and protection than standard keg shoes do, so really a barefoot & booted horse can be even MORE tenderfooted than a plain shod horse and still do fine as long as the boots are used. So I don't really consider that a super-complete-and-successful barefoot horse, either.

I do love hoof boots, though. I use them on my mare when she's barefoot and we're riding on really rocky terrain.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Quote Originally Posted by Ritazza View Post
    http://www.hoofcareunltd.com/Emma%20Hindle.htm
    and
    http://www.marthaolivo.com/articles/article21.shtml

For starters! Although I think they're both Strasserites so they're kind of weird. But they ARE barefoot!
    Ex's.

Tree

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Native View Post
    Here is an example of a '' high level '' competition horses sans iron.
    But not sans hoof protection, either in competition or training.

While I highly commend and applaud Dune for her and her horse's accomplishments, to attempt to use them to provide substantiation for your barefoot mantra denigrates and does a disservice to them and their accomplishments. You should be ashamed and embarassed and offer them an immediate public apology.

All you have done is provide further proof of why hoof protection, be it via shoes, boots, whatever, is key to allowing the horse to perform at its optimum/best.

Sadly though I have heard that Emma Hindle is riding shod horses again, even though Diamond Hit and Wie Weltmeyer did beautifully without . I have no doubt that this comes from pressure by the owners , vets, trainers she works, with, etc. since she, as many other upper level Dressage riders, tend to ride expensive horses they do not own themselves

Quote Originally Posted by hoofrx1 View Post

All you have done is provide further proof of why hoof protection, be it via shoes, boots, whatever, is key to allowing the horse to perform at its optimum/best.

I'm all for hoof protection and use boots most times myself but that horse did do 4 races completely bare.

Originally Posted by hoofrx1 But not sans hoof protection, either in competition or training.

Regardless, at least hoof boots can be taken off after the event. Shoes cannot! For that the poor horse has to wait 4 - 6 weeks, only to get another set to wear again 24/7

No human would tolerate this, even in more comfortable shoes!!

And I forgot to mention that in those barefoot rides she took a 1st and BC'd 3 times.

Totally believe it - very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by BornToRide View Post
    Sadly though I have heard that Emma Hindle is riding shod horses again, even though Diamond Hit and Wie Weltmeyer did beautifully without . I have no doubt that this comes from pressure by the owners , vets, trainers she works, with, etc. since she, as many other upper level Dressage riders, tend to ride expensive horses they do not own themselves

Well poo. I tried!

While I highly commend and applaud Dune for her and her horse's accomplishments, to attempt to use them to provide substantiation for your barefoot mantra denigrates and does a disservice to them and their accomplishments. You should be ashamed and embarassed and offer them an immediate public apology.

Why i bother ....
    Her name is not Dune, btw.
    Much of the training was done barefoot. She did 200 race miles barefoot in difficult trerrain. You cannot compare gule ons to steel shoes. The glue ons allow the hoof to function naturally as opposed to the ridgid steel.At 885 + miles the hoof does need protection. We have found that the 21 century technology works better than the technology born literally in the dark ages.No responsible person would ever say horses never need protection,obviously sometimes they do.

This horse could not walk without protection when her shoes were pulled. Weak digital cushion, underdeveloped lateral carilidges, thin, flaky walls, thin soles, and sensitve heels. These feet are getting better daily, rather than the downward trend that they were on.

And no, there will be no apologies for making the point that there is an option other than iron. The Best Condition awards say it all.

I accept the fact that you will continue to rip me up. That is fine.I've got my big girl panties on. We can agree on one thing..... I LOVE your signature line !!!!!!! Lets talk politics someday.
    Last edited by AZ Native; Dec. 6, 2008 at 12:17 PM.

While I highly commend and applaud Dune for her and her horse's accomplishments,
    I'm not the endurance gal, I agree with your other points, but wanted to correct you on this one.

My thinking is that the horses started showing some signs that they needed the shoes back on, interesting how we each have our own little take on what was going on behind the scenes. If they were doing fine, I'm sure they wouldn't have changed it.

Regardless, at least hoof boots can be taken off after the event. Shoes cannot! For that the poor horse has to wait 4 - 6 weeks, only to get another set to wear again 24/7

No human would tolerate this, even in more comfortable shoes!!
    If the shoes were SO intolerable, I doubt the horses would be doing so well at their shows/events.

I understand what you are saying. I guess my point would be if this gal can race 200 plus miles completely bare ( Not to mention the training miles )that it just might be very possible that Olympic events could be done just fine by barefoot horses, or horses that have something besides iron on their feet. But it will take owners and riders who are willing to go against the status quo. Tenny had the guts to try something different even when her peers told her it could not be done. And yes, at the moment she is in the minority.Many of the highly competive people ( of whom she is one )just won't take the risk of possibly losing. She was looking out for the long term health of her horse and decided to experiment.

I'm not the endurance gal, I agree with your other points, but wanted to correct you on this one.

If the shoes were SO intolerable, I doubt the horses would be doing so well at their shows/events.
    Hopefully you do not agree that I owe an apology.

Maybe, just maybe , they might do even better like this rider's horse has done. She was doing very well before, now she is doing better than she ever expected.We won't know untill more are willing to try , unfortunately.

My thinking is that the horses started showing some signs that they needed the shoes back on, interesting how we each have our own little take on what was going on behind the scenes. If they were doing fine, I'm sure they wouldn't have changed it.

Well? Well, that's all rather relative, don't you think, with hock injections being rampant, horses ridden upside down and being rewarded for it ( so many people hum and haw over Blue Hors Matinee for example, when this poor horse is so stuck in her hind end it is a pain for me to watch - the horse is a SAINT! ) Who's to say that most of this may not be rooted in misguided showing practices?!

What we see/know now is based on most horses being shod. We don't even have a reference of what it might look like if the horses truly are allowed to compete bare at those levels, with the right diet and trim, because in many cases the diet may actually make the hooves fall apart, so it is ASSUMED the horse needs shoes.

Hooves should be sound with or without shoes. If hooves are not once the shoes are pulled, it is not because the shoes are missing, it is because the hooves are unhealthy to start with. THAT should be explored, rather than just another pair of shoes slapped on.

Nutrition has a role in it-but I think so do genes. I just moved and in my old barn we had several horses. All were fed the same -but the hoof quality varied very widely. My riding buddy over there had two horses. The trails over there are not very forgiving-rocks, beaches, hills-pretty much everything you can think of. But her paint mare did fine without any shoes in the hind feet. My mare on the other hand I guarantee you will be footsore. With shoes -she is great, I have ridden her for multi day trips and rough terrain-she stays very good-but without shoes her feet aren't as tough. Same diet and about the same excerise regimen-I put ina few extra rides in the week -so the extra 10-40 mi in the week make a difference-but still she is really comfortable in shoes and extremely ouchy barefoot. It works for me and my mare will be 15 this march and just fine-so what is the harm??

Genes are blamed too often for something. Horses with crappy hooves have been bred and consistently produced off spring with excellent hooves, but those foals were also allowed to run as much as possible and they were not shod at 2 or 3 years old.

There are so many other factors involved, like how effective a horse's digestive system is for example - are they geeting all the nutrients their hooves need to be hard and strong? Are there living in an area where they are missing certain nutrients to forge strong hooves (often it is zinc and copper deficiencies)or are other minerals much higher so they compete with copper and zinc when it comes to their uptake in the body? How sensitive is the horse to sugars in the diet?

As already mentioned , were they shod at 2 years old? How much movement were they allowed to have since birth, and so on.

Well mine most definietly was shod at 2. She was born at a ractrack home(racing Arab)-didn't win anything-but good racing bloodlines..