The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wow - that's a nice SS!!

I left mine unattended and never had any problems with it as far as performance, safety or quality. The water also never got too hot - only tepid. Even if there was only a few gallons in it.

My problem was only with that one horse. If you don't own any of his relatives, I think the bucket will give you years of trouble free use. I would take basic safety precautions like ensuring the outlet you use is properly wired, accommodates the amperage, and if GFCI.

Your SS is super!

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    I left mine unattended and never had any problems with it as far as performance, safety or quality. The water also never got too hot - only tepid. Even if there was only a few gallons in it.

My problem was only with that one horse. If you don't own any of his relatives, I think the bucket will give you years of trouble free use. I would take basic safety precautions like ensuring the outlet you use is properly wired, accommodates the amperage, and if GFCI.

Your SS is super!
    She sure was super to send such a nice present. We have been very blessed this year!

We will be using it for beet pulp (we mix it by the muck bucket). It won't be near the horses, it will be in the barn isle.... the original fat Palomino will dump the water out of the muck bucket, stick his head in it, push the much bucket around and trot after it. Just his ears stick out of the bucket like radars, and you usually hear him kicking the bucket with his front feet or running into things. He has learned to do this if you don't give him enough attention. He has figured out that everyone comes over to watch when he performs

I was thinking about putting it on a pallet or on the dirt barn floor... not sure yet. Doesthe bottom get warm at all? We do need to upgrade to GFCI.... luckily the inlaws are coming next week and one is a home builder, so we were going to ask for his advice and assistance.

Thanks for the insight.

Quote Originally Posted by bf1 View Post
    I prefer them to the 5 gallon as I don't have to refill them but every other day - and I know they won't run out of water. I use the 5 gallon size inside in the stalls.

I second this. I also put a regular bucket next to it so my horse has choice.
    lindasp62
    Founder & Donor/Account Advisor
    Brennan Equine Welfare Fund
    http://www.brennanequinewelfarefund.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Has anyone used these things?

http://www.petvetsupply.com/equmali022.html

Do they work? Do they hold up? Do you have any issues? Where's the best place to purchase?
    Have one - love it and will never go without it . It's been around for years and the water temp is always fine. I do keep it inside out of the bad weather - my two TB's just come inside when they want a drink. Can't imagine a winter without one!!
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

I've got one, it works great. It sits outside a 24/7 run out stall. I have it bungee- corded to a fence post so "Fluffy" can't tip it over and stomp on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post

My problem was only with that one horse. If you don't own any of his relatives

OR.. of Dinky's relatives.

Given that all horses are more or less related at some point or another.. this makes me nervous
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.