The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Has anyone used this 16 gal heated bucket? Thoughts?

Has anyone used these things?

http://www.petvetsupply.com/equmali022.html

Do they work? Do they hold up? Do you have any issues? Where's the best place to purchase?

I have had mine for five years. Can't really say anything bad about it.

Don't use it inside as bedding get's into it and you don't want to have to move it to dump it. I had one and initially tried using it in a run-in that was bedded. big mistake, big mess. I use hanging heated buckets inside now and set a seperate bucket inside of them. the heated bucket is the holder for the other bucket and keeps it from freezing but the non-wired bucket is easy to lift out for dumping and cleaning

I moved the heated tub to a location that was along the fence of a corral, where I had electric and a frost free spigot. I removed the lowest board on the corral and placed pavers down that were on both sides of the fence. Then the bucket and later a water trough, sat on pavers and I could pull the bucket backward under the fence and out of the corral for cleaning and dumping. I've got all my troughs set up this way now. No dumping inside of the corrals or paddocks. No mud holes this way.

Oh, you may find you have to fasten the heated tub to a fence so that it isn't moved by the horses.

chicamuxen

I just bought one this year-no problems with it but I suspect(anyone who really knows, please speak up!) that they may draw more electricity than the floating tank heaters b/c it has to warm the entire bucket, not just keep the top from freezing. The water also feels warmer than with the floating deicers, but that doesn't seem to be a problem. I use mine outside in the paddock along the fenceline FWIW.

I have one and have used one for several years. However, I don't like them as much as the 5 gal bucket. The water gets hotter. I sent at least 2 back as the temp. didn't seem to work. The one I have now still gets hot, well really just warm, so I don't leave it plugged in, just plug it in to thaw the water, then unplug. The buckets ones, on the other hand, never freeze, never get hot.

I have had no fewer than 5 of them - with no problems. Love them. I prefer them to the 5 gallon as I don't have to refill them but every other day - and I know they won't run out of water. I use the 5 gallon size inside in the stalls.

I had one and it worked great.

Until I bought a horse that likes to crawl inside water tubs and play - even if it's freezing outside.

I kept filling it up and finding it empty - and I thought - Oh good - the horses are drinking lots of water and I won't have to worry about impaction colics!

Then the area around the tub started getting soggy.

Then I caught the youngster trying to do jumping jacks inside it - he's huge so that wasn't working very well - but evidently he'd done it before and cracked the bottom just enough to start a slow leak.

If he ever grows up I'll buy another one. He also does this with a regular stock tank, and bends and destroys the heating element. He's a mess.

JSwan - when Dinky was about a year old, I found him inside the 100 gallon water tank. Yes, completely in it, standing there.

That time I freaked out.. tried everything to get him out. I realized at one point that I was working him up into a frenzy (he was cool as a cucumber when I found him, literally and figuratively) and that I needed to stop or he might get hurt.

So after a few hours of this, I decided to go mix evening feed.

When I got back he was out.. not a ding on him.

He did it many times again that year and I learned to just leave him be.

He's four now and quite large.. I hope it's over. Really something to find them doing things like that now, isn't it?!!!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

A large horse named Dinky?

Yeah - my guy is 4 too and he still likes to grab the bucket in his stall and fling it. Big fun. I think he gives the other animals a headache.

I still haven't put my heater in the tank - I just put hot water in it in the morning. Those elements are expensive. Actually, I think I've spent more on replacing elements and buckets than I did on his initial purchase. Oh wait - I also had to replace my gates with bull gates (he scratched his butt on my nice gates and bent them into pretzels.

Definitely spent more on replacing damaged stuff.

Have one, it works great!

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    A large horse named Dinky?

Haha... I know, well, when I got him he was quite runty and turned out w/Dan, who was a Big Guy. I underestimated genetics and a good feeding program. It's a reliable chuckle tho' when people meet him.

Yeah - my guy is 4 too and he still likes to grab the bucket in his stall and fling it. Big fun. I think he gives the other animals a headache.

Oh yeah ! I forgot.. he STILL does that. It is impossible to keep water in front of him in a stall. I put a 16 gal muck tub in once, thinking it was just because a hanging bucket was too cool, and he put both front feet in and tipped it over, too.

I still haven't put my heater in the tank - I just put hot water in it in the morning. Those elements are expensive. Actually, I think I've spent more on replacing elements and buckets than I did on his initial purchase. Oh wait - I also had to replace my gates with bull gates (he scratched his butt on my nice gates and bent them into pretzels.

Definitely spent more on replacing damaged stuff.
    I think the cost of replacing things Dinky has accidently destroyed has long ago topped what I paid for him. Luckily he is a love bug and I think he will eventually be LMEqT's first Big horse, which in the long run makes him priceless.. but Oh My. Oh my!!!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I have one and like it. However, I have never tested the water to see if it was too hot. Thanks for the tip. I just made sure it was keeping it from freezing. I keep mine in my indoor, where my two horses hang out. I don't remember where I purchased it, but I think it was Dover.

I've had one for several years and it's worked great. It's big enough but not so large that it's difficult to clean.

I bought it after I discovered that my floating heater had a short and was shocking the horses when they tried to drink .
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I use them outside but only for horses that don't like to play in the water. I use a big trough with a tank heat for those horses.
    https://www.facebook.com/HunterHillFarmIowa

Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

I prefer the blue ones, made by Allied over the green ones, made by Innovator.
    Both in the 5 gallon and the 16 gallon version.
    It is worth the effort and money to find the Allied/blue versions.
    they are made differently.

I just bought my recent ones at Tractor supply, and found them to be about 67, and no shipping, since I bought it at the store.

I have been using these buckets since they came out...a while now. I love them, and cannot imagine winter without them.

If the water getting too hot is a problem, would one of these help ??

(Im not promoting the catalog co, just happened to get one the other day )

http://www.jefferspet.com/product/th...outlet-791.cfm

Their bucket as posted earlier is 49.98

I have several of the big blue jobbies. I put them in my emptied 100 gal rubbermaid horse troughs to insulate them from the cold. it works great.

last year I didn't put them in anything and I'd get a thin film of ice on the water. this year we are below zero in Chicago already and no ice!

I have two of them, I use them in a small paddock when I don't want to move the 100 gallon one that has a tank deicer.

I noticed a significant jump in my electric bill the winter I used these more than the 100 gallon.

I went back to the 100 gallon w/ the tank deicer and returned to the "normal" electric consumption.

I also have the blue 5 gallon ones from TSC for the stalls. Those I like, but I unplug them every morning.

We just got one from our COTH SS!!!! We will be using it for beet pulp, since our barn is unheated and there is no hot water in there. It will be a lifesaver.

Do most people leave them unattended? Have there been any problems?