The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Favorite Winter Riding Gloves?

I somehow made it through a CT winter last year using just my crochet schooling gloves (I admit I was being stupid and cheap - college student) but I refuse to endure that pain again! Does anyone have suggestions for reasonably priced (say, under $30 or so) winter riding gloves that are warm and have good grip but are not bulky? I think I've heard Kerrits makes a nice pair - any experiences with those or any other suggestions?

These are a little over the price range that you gave, but the Roeckl Winter Chester Gloves are amazing! They keep you nice and toasty, even their regular gloves keep your hands warm in the winter! I would recommend them!

Quote Originally Posted by &WithStyle View Post
    These are a little over the price range that you gave, but the Roeckl Winter Chester Gloves are amazing! They keep you nice and toasty, even their regular gloves keep your hands warm in the winter! I would recommend them!
    Agreed. They are worth a little extra $$. Best on the market. They keep your hands warm and allow you to keep some dexterity. I can bridle my horse with my Roeckl's on easily (both summer and winter weight).

http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...eCategory=true

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

I loff my Roeckl gloves.. I only have the summer weight though I'll have to check out the winter gloves. You get such great contact with them and I usually hate wearing gloves.
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

Any feedback on the SSG winter gloves?

I had a pair of Ovation thinsulate gloves that my mom gave me two years ago. She found them on clearance in a tack store for $5, and I really hope it's not because they've been discontinued! Coming into their second winter they finally started to tear at the fingertips, but up til now they've been awesome! They're the warmest gloves I've ever owned and yet feel so thin. I really hope I can find another pair!

SSG "Rancher" gloves!!!! I work and ride in them and love them! Everyone at the farm had them so I went to get a pair and they are amazing so warm and comfy!

LOVE my winter SSGs. I liked the Kerrits too, but they have extra room at the ends of the fingers and that drives me crazy. Also, I would sweat in them and pull the lining inside out when taking them off. I passed them on to someone who could use them.

I borrowed a friend's Ovation gloves tonight and was very impressed with them. It is ridiculously cold out today and my hands were frozen in my gloves, but about 10 minutes after putting on the Ovations my hands were very comfy and stayed that way through all my barn chores. I'm getting some!!

I have Ariat winter gloves: http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctClassid=2130 which are great. I like that they come sizes rather than in s/m/l, so I can get gloves that fit rather than are too big which is often the case.
    I recently got a pair of the Bionic gloves, which while it isn't technically a winter glove, they are awesome and warm even when 30 degrees.

Kyra K fleece-lined winter gloves. Hands down, pun intended, the best winter gloves I've ever found--and I've tried DOZENS.

I bought 2 pairs last year (or maybe the year before) on Ebay for about $50/pair. The retail price used to be about $100--they're cheaper now. That gives me 3 pairs total--one pair in the trailer, one in my barn, one at my trainer's barn. Lovely, soft, comfy, and so warm my hands SWEAT during a lesson, even when it's 15 degrees outside.
    Click here before you buy.

Default Roeckl & SSG

I love my pair of Roeckl show gloves. They are so comfortable, and so good looking as well.

I just bought a pair of the SSG All Weather gloves, and they are surprisingly warm, but also fairly thin, so I don't feel like I'm riding in mittens.

I can ride in any generic fleece riding glove.

I use the big bulky waterproof ski gloves around the barn until it's time to go ride.