The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have now known TWO horses who appeared to have an extensor tendon injury on the front leg..

on the first one, the attachment was so frayed that she appeared to have ossellets. Nope. True extensor damage and arthritis in the fetlock to go along w/it, at 4 years old. Probably from being raced w/long feet/toes.. she came to me in shoes that appeared to be months old. Lucky LouLou is now a broodmare.

The second one, inflammed extensor tendons on both front legs. Very long toes, duck bill feet. I trimmed him and could feel the chips in his fetlocks. Sure enough, got them xrayed, there they were, got them removed, fixed his feet and the inflammation has disappeared. FWIW I do not believe the chips came *first* - I think the bad feet did, then the chips came, then he compensated in such a way that strained his extensor tendons.

So... I'd want FILM of those pasterns and fetlocks and ultrasound of the extensors. I think the wound is incidental and probably of no issue in the long run. Obviously I'd also take a long hard look at the feet.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Default My Mare

Ok... sorry Becky for taking so long to jump on and explain in more detail.

This mare had a check ligament surgery done about 4-5 yrs ago that left scar tissue. While jumping her one day, she pulled off her open front boot and tweeked it a bit. She was limited to put pressure on the leg for a day or two, then was 100% better bearing weight, but the scar tissue area looked like a golf ball. I had the vet out, he reommended along w/ aonther vets recommendation to cold hose, poltice and wrap constantly until the tendon swelling got under control.

This was on and off for a couple months, would get better, then a little worse. My vet injected the tendon area and w/in a couple days after injection, the wound appeared out of the front of her cannon bone. It started about quarter size then went to silver dollar size, it oozed a bit in the first week, then closed up and since has continued to look like a blood blister, not scabbing over, but it's black and soft like skin, but under the backside of this blister is where the swelling comes from. The white hairs actually are from the first week of the wound oozing. It literally killed all the hair around the wound and the hair that grew back was white. She has only every been wrapped w/ no bows or quilted wraps and standing bandage wraps.

I have started to wean her off the standing wraps and she was great w/ the polo wrap on it but as soon as a wrap was off for more than an hour her leg swells (entire cannon area) up very big and gets hot. My vet looked at it last week again (the tendon is fully healed now and she was being ridden regularly to get back into shape). He is concerned w/ the wound area that it's not oozing at all and it seems like there is bacteria or something behind the blister and unable to exit the skin. We tried sweating it to get it cleared out, but she became VERY sensitive on it and the wound looks better, but the tendon now is swollen and a bit ouchy again. I stopped sweating it, went back to polticing it last night and today her leg looks great again. However, I don't dare leave it unwrapped to get the cannon inflammed again. I'm at a loss and think my only option is to lacerate and drain her infected area. Very Frustrating!

Even what you describe sounds like it is a pressure sore. They are difficult to heal as circulatory damage has taken place.
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I too agree with ultrasound. The other day my friend showed up with an ultrasound of an extensor. She was so proud of the great job she had done. BUT that said I would almost wonder if there might be a little bone fragment or sliver in there causing the inflammation. Stranger things have happened. Antibiotics might have addressed it though SMZ's for stuff like that are iffy. But if the irritant remains there will continue to be a reaction.
    It is interesting.
    I have to admit to bandage bowing an extensor when I was learning how to bandage. A lesson I only had to learn once.

Believe me, I have seen a B Pony Clubber bandage bow her sister's horse with no-bow bandages. Doesn't matter what you use, if the pressure is inconsistent or the wrap is moved and twisted, then you can bow the leg.

We saved the leg by cold-hosing it every 2 hours for 36 hours straight and kept it well-bandaged in between. The Pony Clubber went to Florida on spring break and never even came out to check the horse. I'm still bitter.
    \"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.\"--Pogo

Yep, the one I did was with no bows. Ballistic Miss. I'll not forget her name ever.

I imagine it will have to be debrided and that should reveal any foreign object or sequestrum when it is right on the bone that way.
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by danichilders View Post
    Ok... sorry Becky for taking so long to jump on and explain in more detail.

This mare had a check ligament surgery done about 4-5 yrs ago that left scar tissue. While jumping her one day, she pulled off her open front boot and tweeked it a bit. She was limited to put pressure on the leg for a day or two, then was 100% better bearing weight, but the scar tissue area looked like a golf ball. I had the vet out, he reommended along w/ aonther vets recommendation to cold hose, poltice and wrap constantly until the tendon swelling got under control.

This was on and off for a couple months, would get better, then a little worse. My vet injected the tendon area and w/in a couple days after injection, the wound appeared out of the front of her cannon bone. It started about quarter size then went to silver dollar size, it oozed a bit in the first week, then closed up and since has continued to look like a blood blister, not scabbing over, but it's black and soft like skin, but under the backside of this blister is where the swelling comes from. The white hairs actually are from the first week of the wound oozing. It literally killed all the hair around the wound and the hair that grew back was white. She has only every been wrapped w/ no bows or quilted wraps and standing bandage wraps.

I have started to wean her off the standing wraps and she was great w/ the polo wrap on it but as soon as a wrap was off for more than an hour her leg swells (entire cannon area) up very big and gets hot. My vet looked at it last week again (the tendon is fully healed now and she was being ridden regularly to get back into shape). He is concerned w/ the wound area that it's not oozing at all and it seems like there is bacteria or something behind the blister and unable to exit the skin. We tried sweating it to get it cleared out, but she became VERY sensitive on it and the wound looks better, but the tendon now is swollen and a bit ouchy again. I stopped sweating it, went back to polticing it last night and today her leg looks great again. However, I don't dare leave it unwrapped to get the cannon inflammed again. I'm at a loss and think my only option is to lacerate and drain her infected area. Very Frustrating!

The vet injected her tendon with what? Could there have been a reaction to whatever s/he injected into the tendon? Was all the equipment clean? ie, could there be some sort of deep-seated inflammation, or infection, maybe an abscess or similar, that's festering away in there, and oozing out when you don't wrap her leg?

Purely speculation, as I'm not a vet...

Might be too little too late, but have you poulticed i with warm, wet animalintex? Last ditch effort to see if anything drains?

did you have the tendon ultrasounded? my horse got a mysterious swelling on his tendon a couple months ago-was 100% sound,and it did not bother him at all if you squeezed it,flexed it etc...got it ultrasounded and turns out he's got a tear in his check ligament. My advice would be to get the tendon ultrasounded if you havent yet....i did the same thing at first-cold hose,poulitce,wrapping,linaments,bute,then surpass etc-nothing made a difference in the thickening/swelling and he was and still is completely sound so everybody including the vets didn't make a big deal about it-but i insisted on get the ultrasound and i'm glad i did-luckily it just happened-but had i continued to ride and work him it would've gotten worse.

Now...he's got the winter off and should recover and heal up just fine-they suggested that if in a few months down the road there's no improvement then i could do a procedure similar to IRAP called ACP(autologous conditioned plasma) where they take his own blood, and inject it into the area of the injury to help speed up the repair. As for now we're taking the more conservative approach b/c he's sound and it doesn't bother him...its been about 2 months-i'd imagine if there's no improvent by the 6 month mark then we might consider the procedure.