The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default If you could breed a mule... for those who want a laugh.. prob at my expense!

I know you can't breed mules! DUH! But a thread in Breeding forum got me thinking...

We've seen some gosh darn ugly foals and horses come out of backyard breeding (disclaimer: there are some wonderful BYB's, I like to think I'm one! LOL) ... but ya know. Ol' Joe down the street has a spotted horse and Suzy wants a spotted horse, so she breeds her gaited Mustang to it and gets X-foal. Thanks to FHOTD we've seen people try to make a living doing this. But here is my odd ponderance of the day...

Has anyone heard of a mule born with one parent being an exceptional horse? OK... I got this CRRAAAZZZY idea, should I ever have the money, it would be REALLY cool, to say have a breeding to a really nice stallion via AI or frozen, and put the extra straws in a donkey jenny?!?!

No??? Have I fallen off my rocker and down the stairs? And into the bed of roses? But wouldn't just be a LITTLE cool to have someone walk up to your farm and say "whatcha got a mule for?" And you could say "He's no ordinary mule. That one is sired by Popeye K!"

I swear if I had the money I would sooo do this. My parents have actually wanted a mule for some time to do trail riding on. I think I would breed to some big Grand Prix dressage stallion though.

Putting alcoholic beverage down now.... I mean, a mule is a mule right??
    Fourth N' Goal Training LLC.
    ~Specializing in Mom and Kid Approved Equitation and Jumper Horses

*Horse Collector Status = Six Pack*

First problem with your plan is that breeding a stallion to a female ass (donkey) gives you a HINNY not a mule. A mule is specifically & always the product of breeding a male ass (donkey) to a female horse. Thus you could never have a mule sired by Popeye K or any other famous stallion, although you could have a mule out of a famous or well-bred mare if you owned her or her owner would allow her to be bred to an ass.

to do so would create a seperate animal a_hinny_ and contrary to published reports....they are not the quality of a mule...they are simply a big waste of skin...

best
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Also it is easier to breed for a mule than a hinny. For some reason the chromosones align better.

Tha being said there are some nicely breed mules and hinnys out there. Not all mules are created equal some are blessed with nice movement and conformation.

Very interesting...so what makes a hinny a big waste of skin? What is different about them from a mule?
    Happiness is the sweet smell of horses, leather, and hay.

Well go ahead and burst my Famous Mule bubble why don't you!!! LMAO... OK.. fine. I'm going to embryo transfer one! From.. Strapless.... IDK... I done lost my mind... I find humor in such little things....
    Fourth N' Goal Training LLC.
    ~Specializing in Mom and Kid Approved Equitation and Jumper Horses

*Horse Collector Status = Six Pack*

Sticking with the mule part, then, assume you had (or had access to) a really nice mare, and could use any type of donkey (jack), what kind of mare would you pick?

Belgian mules are often very attractive. I think something sturdy works better as a cross than something delicate (Arab mule? Akhal Teke mule? not sure)

It could be really interesting to try (with mammoth jack) something like Friesian, Welsh Cob, or Lusitano. Something kind of "baroque" and sturdy.

Or, for a chuckle, how about Gypsy Vanner!

I saw photos of Fjules...Mom was a Norwegian Fjord...they were very cute, dorsal strip and all.

Hinnys seem to often take on the worst of both animals...the flightyness of the horse and the attitude of the donkey. As noted above, the impregnation rate of the donkey is much lower than the horse mare.

My mules mom was a Tennessee Walker, he's gaited and I guess qualifies as a paint/pinto? I can never keep straight which is based on colour. He's got 4whites and a big white splash across his mule butt.

I think a Friesian or Shire would make a neat mule.

Fjule...LOL! That's fjunny!

Howzabout a mammoth jack to Brentina? Then you can do drassage.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Fjule...LOL! That's fjunny!

Howzabout a mammoth jack to Brentina? Then you can do drassage.
    drassage!!! ROFLMAO!

Quote Originally Posted by twofatponies View Post
    Sticking with the mule part, then, assume you had (or had access to) a really nice mare, and could use any type of donkey (jack), what kind of mare would you pick?

Belgian mules are often very attractive. I think something sturdy works better as a cross than something delicate (Arab mule? Akhal Teke mule? not sure)

It could be really interesting to try (with mammoth jack) something like Friesian, Welsh Cob, or Lusitano. Something kind of "baroque" and sturdy.

Or, for a chuckle, how about Gypsy Vanner!

Just a headsup-FYI. Freisian mules are, well... simply put. They're ugly. Something about those feathered legs just doesn't set right w/the inevitable mule head. sylvia
    Never explain yourself to someone who is committed to misunderstanding you.

As for the hinny. The folks on the mule board I frequent are most times hard-pressed to tell what's a hinny and what's a mule. PLUS... the big thing w/a hinny is they're not overly attached to horses like mules are ('cause they're mommas were jennys).

As w/any breeding, cross the BEST w/the BEST and you get GOOD. The baby is only as good as the weakest link in the genetic chain. sylvia
    Never explain yourself to someone who is committed to misunderstanding you.

My mule is most likely the product of an Appy mare. He's white-white with pink skin and pink sclera but he has a few small black spots underneath as well as one nickel-sized black spot on an eyelid.

If you want an attractive mule, don't go this route.

But people do breed for quality mules, either with TBs for racing mules or gaited horses for good mountain/hunting mules. Mules are rarely accidental.

Default neat X

Neatest pair of mules I have ever seen is a spectacular sleek and beautiful pair of mules from a gaited paso fino' mare and a black sicilian donkey jack. Both foals came out black and naturally gaited and she wins at every driving event she enters!
    Pao Lin

They race mules? Is there anything they don't race?!!

If anyone has links to photos of unusual mules (like the Friesian one) I'd love to see how they turn out.

Oooh, i second wanting pictures of mules! And Fjules. and Freules. Whatever.
    Join a new horse sim where you can train, show and breed dressage horses, jumpers and eventers! Fun and free with mature players.
    Join Horse Eden Eventing Today !

here is some mule racing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRL0yRWyhps

If I could figure out how to post pictures, I would LOVE to show you a picture of my miniature mare who is carrying a mule baby, from the cutest mminiature spotted ass you ever saw.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    My mule is most likely the product of an Appy mare. He's white-white with pink skin and pink sclera but he has a few small black spots underneath as well as one nickel-sized black spot on an eyelid.

If you want an attractive mule, don't go this route.

But people do breed for quality mules, either with TBs for racing mules or gaited horses for good mountain/hunting mules. Mules are rarely accidental.
    OMG. Casper!!! What a lucky guy this one was!!! Glad to hear he is still around and having a lovely life!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    Hinnys seem to often take on the worst of both animals...the flightyness of the horse and the attitude of the donkey.
    As w/any breeding, cross the BEST w/the BEST and you get GOOD. The baby is only as good as the weakest link in the genetic chain. sylvia
    Now why is it that people seem to understand this (FHOTD breeders aside) in horses, but NOT in dogs????? To wit: labradoodles, cockapoos, puggles, ETC. GAH!!!! (Not to say that there aren't some nice mutts out there, but the *designer* mutts and other common mixes are frequently NOT the most stable or even-tempered of animals.) Yet because they look *cute* and people will pay outrageous sums for them (and never consider that they are NOT paying for good pre- and post-natal care of the dam/litter, health tests/certificates, a knowledgeable breeder who can provide on-going info and resources, etc.), money-grubbers insist on continuing to churn out puppies without regard to health or temperament.

Okay, that's my late-night rant out of the way.