The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May. 15, 2008
    Posts
    1,534

    Default Selling question....

    So we've had someone interested in our horse for about 3 weeks now....they've come out 3 times to see/ride the horse and even had it vetted in which their vet passed it.
    My question to you guys is: should I email them and ask if they've made a decision?
    We are going to be out of town a lot this weekend and if they want to come pick it up it's going to be difficult if they let us know on a whim. Plus we have others interested in the horse that we've had to put on the back burner...
    What do you guys think?



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug. 11, 2003
    Posts
    3,589

    Default

    I would send them a polite note saying something along the lines of "I hope that the results from your vetting of xxxxx were satisfactory. I am continuing to receive a lot of interest in him/her. I will be out of town this weekend but would love to hear your decision early next week so that if he/she isn't going to work out for you, I can start to invite some of the other interested parties to come out and see him/her" - that covers 1) you are going away this weekend and 2) you need a decision.

    Personally I would keep letting other people come out until someone handed me a check.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan. 12, 2007
    Posts
    4,227

    Default

    Call them it is more professional and brings you an instant answer. email is for chickens. Here is what I would say:

    Good morning Sally how are you today? I am calling about Dobin. I wanted to know if you plan to buy him? And if so can we set up a time for you to pick him up? This is the point where you shut up and let her/him talk. She has to give you a direct answer to a polite but direct question.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep. 2, 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    13,964

    Default

    Yes, but email gives you a written paper trail so when the buyer to be says you sold the horse out from under them and they want their PPE money from you for doing that you can turn around and remind them of the email you sent.

    If you do call please follow it up with an email with the 'just confirming what we talked about on the phone today' information in it if the conversation covers anything that says they are still interested and you gave them a time limit.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan. 31, 2003
    Posts
    18,472

    Default

    Prior to the vetting, you should have written a short contract that stated what was going to happen if the horse passed the vet check. Actually there are other things that should have been documented but it is too late now.

    Call them and tell them that since the horse passed the PPE, you are giving them until close of business on Monday to pay for the horse in CASH and make arrangements to pick said horse up either the same day or within 24 hours. If they are not planning to buy horse in said time frame, then you will begin showing him to other people and they will have no right of first refusal and no claim to him at all. They could still purchase him but would have to beat someone else to it Type up a statement saying the same thing and mail it to them registered mail.

    In the horse world, money talks and.. you get the idea. I would also NOT let them ride him again... that is probably what they will want to do next If they spent the money to do a PPE, then they knew he was the horse they wanted. Buyers remorse is very common in horses and because there was no contract drawn up stating what happened next, they may be waffling now. Thats not your problem, you have a horse to sell.

    FWIW, having passed the PPE is a feather in your cap as far as selling the horse to someone else at this point. Move on if they don't buy the horse immediately.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.



  6. #6
    jse is offline Advanced Premium Member
    Original Poster
    Join Date
    May. 15, 2008
    Posts
    1,534

    Default

    Thanks for all the input so far guys! I think I will send a polite note, seems like the best thing to do!



  7. #7
    Join Date
    May. 23, 2006
    Posts
    1,362

    Default

    You can be polite but still set clear boundaries.

    I.e., "So glad you are interested in Dobbin and that your vet was able to examine him. I'm writing to ask whether you have come to a decision about purchasing Dobbin, or whether you need more time. Just to make sure there are no misunderstandings between us, please be aware that until we have a contract signed for the sale of Dobbin I will continue to show him to other interested parties, and will sell him to the first qualified buyer who enters into a written sales contract for him."



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep. 26, 2007
    Posts
    116

    Default This is a boat I was in that sank....

    ahhh I have been in this boat before.....and it did not sail but rather sank.

    People came out 3x to try my horse (he was a beginner horse, very nice gentleman). They brought their trainer. Price was understood. They asked if they could take him to their home barn to "lease" for a while to see if he was what they wanted. I said "No, he is for sale" they then brought out coach and tried again. Indicated they would like to vet, so they did. He passed vetting and I waited to hear from them. Then they asked for a coggins test before he could be shipped to their barn..so I got a coggins test. Then they needed a photo of him for insurance before they shipped him..took a pic and sent it. Then I heard...nothing...(this was over a 3-4 week period)

    had someone else call who was interested, I said that the other people had vetted and thought the sale might be pending but that I had not heard from them. Person asked if they had left a down payment.."no" says I.

    So I call teh people and point out ask them if they were interested in purchasing as I had someone else also expresing interest. I had the horse for sale for $7000. They said if I trailered him down (and paid this), paid his vetting, and knocked a thousand off his price they would decide when he got there......Let's just say I called those other folks back who were interested.

    Those other folks bought my horse for their daughter. A nice safe BIG boy (she was very tall) and they were very happy. Now they took the horse home the 2nd time they came with teh trailer. They left me a post dated check while they had their vet look him over (I know took a chance) but a week later check cleared and all folks were happy.

    Except the first folks who gave me the run around who contacted me six months later wondering if he was still for available for sale.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug. 17, 2004
    Location
    Rixeyville, VA
    Posts
    6,958

    Default

    My gut reaction to the OP is that her buyers are still shopping. I would definitely put the horse back on the market and start talking to the "back burner" people. I would do this immediately.

    I would never, never, never take a horse off the market until the buyer's check has cleared my account. I also will not let a horse be vetted without a deposit and contract. That's standard for horse sales. COTH is a great source for sample contracts. Just ask.

    Sending a note to the "shoppers" is fine, but I also would follow it up with a phone call. Woodland's advice is on target. IMO, you'll find the shoppers have moved on.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan. 12, 2007
    Posts
    4,227

    Default

    Agreed the horse should continue to be marketed and shown to potential buyers until paid for. I would call and follow up with a note or email - but direct = direct response. The market it a tough one I would not allow grass to grow under my feet.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug. 28, 2003
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    1,561

    Default

    I get a contract before the prepurchase. There is a time limit for the vetting and decision. I refund the deposit if the exam is not what they hoped for or they just change their minds. I figure they are seriously interested if they sign, make a deposit and get the vet exam. Otherwise they are still shopping. They risk the vet expense and me. the time off market. The deposit just brings the decision process to the forefront in a reasonable time.
    http://TouchstoneAcres.com
    Touchstone Acres Lipizzans, Standing N. Samira VI (Gray), N. XXIX-18(Black), more in 2014



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov. 22, 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jse View Post
    So we've had someone interested in our horse for about 3 weeks now....

    Plus we have others interested in the horse that we've had to put on the back burner...
    What do you guys think?
    You never "have" to put buyers on the back burner. Until someone's check clers th bank, the horse is for sale. Period.



  13. #13
    jse is offline Advanced Premium Member
    Original Poster
    Join Date
    May. 15, 2008
    Posts
    1,534

    Default

    Well turns out we learned a valuable lesson:
    Get a deposit and contract before PPE!
    Person offered $5k less than we have it priced after we had already stated two weeks ago that we weren't budging on the price.
    We counter offered to go down $1k from the asking price and they didn't take it...
    So now we are looking to the other interested people and anyone else who may come along!
    Would like an example of said contract if anyone has it for future reference though!!!



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun. 28, 2003
    Location
    KY, USA
    Posts
    1,966

    Default

    Agree with earlier posts, no PPE without contract and deposit, and for us the PPE MUST occur on our property. Horse that passes vet (but this can be VERY difficult to establish, there is NO clear Yes/No in any vet exam in my opinion) is owned by the offeror. If they walk, they forfeit the deposit. Must be time limit in contract for final payment for that to occur. Horse is for sale until full purchase price is received. New owners owe board past a specified grace date for the horse to leave.

    We specify these in the contract. It's our experience that most people (e.g., serious buyers) appreciate the candor and the specificity. We continue to show horses to potential buyers until the check is received, but we tell the new people the status of the pending sale. Full disclosure is both a legal requirement and good manners.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec. 21, 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jse View Post
    Well turns out we learned a valuable lesson:
    Get a deposit and contract before PPE!
    Person offered $5k less than we have it priced after we had already stated two weeks ago that we weren't budging on the price.
    We counter offered to go down $1k from the asking price and they didn't take it...
    So now we are looking to the other interested people and anyone else who may come along!
    Would like an example of said contract if anyone has it for future reference though!!!
    Their loss. Who pays for a PPE on a horse they don't intend to buy?

    Good luck finding another buyer.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun. 27, 2002
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    5,252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jse View Post
    we have others interested in the horse that we've had to put on the back burner...
    Horse doesn't come off the market until I have money in my hand....a non-refundable deposit with a sales agreement, or full purchase price. Money talks, bull$hit walks.

    I had a buyer string me along a bit once. I really tried to work with her, but when she left for a two-week vacation without sending me a deposit as promised, I showed him to other prospective buyers, one of which took him home. The original buyer was upset, but I couldn't sit on that horse while she was unreachable for weeks, when I had three other people seriously interested in the horse.



  17. #17
    jse is offline Advanced Premium Member
    Original Poster
    Join Date
    May. 15, 2008
    Posts
    1,534

    Default

    Does anyone have an example of the contract that they use?



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov. 30, 2008
    Location
    Zone 5, Great Lakes Region
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Sounds like the prospective buyer(s) were hoping that something would show up in the PPE and then they felt they could negotiate your price down due to the PPE results. You will look back on the situation and be pleased that you didn't sell your horse to these people. They sound somewhat dishonest, but I could be wrong.



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug. 23, 2006
    Posts
    1,410

    Default

    Generally most people don't just randomly do a PPE unless they are serious. Seems to me it's pretty silly to pay for a PPE if you are not serious - if you have a $15,000 budget - some of that gets depleted every time you do a PPE. I also have a friend who scheduled a PPE for a horse;call the vet to find out how it went, vet said seller canceled because another person came along = more $. Needless to say when it was all said and done she ended up w/another horse + guest/companion horse, truck & trailer (don't mess w/ some lawyers) because of the seller's breach of contract - I would venture to say the buyers in this case may be in some type of breach. It is certainly okay to get a PPE and then negotiate on the price based on the PPE; At this point I would contact these folks - and agree to it by phone and follow-up w/ an confirmation email ( if your email can do this would also check for a received receipt/read for the email)

    I would get the confirmation just in case you end up selling horse to some great family and these guys come back and demand you pay for the PPE or some other thing



Similar Threads

  1. Saddle selling question
    By Hunter/JumperMom in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Jul. 13, 2012, 01:25 PM
  2. Selling a horse question...
    By Mr.GMan in forum Off Course
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Mar. 10, 2010, 01:13 PM
  3. question about selling a GPA Hat
    By monalisa in forum Off Course
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Sep. 18, 2009, 11:46 AM
  4. Question on Selling...
    By RxCate in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Jun. 29, 2009, 12:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness