The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Someone somewhere is always allergic to something. But surely not all the people on this thread that have had 'problems' with alfalfa have been because all those horses are allergic to alfalfa. The general problems noted here are usually because the horse is just getting too much feed with the switch to a higher quality feed and still getting all its grain. Of course there are exceptions. Did you know that air is toxic to your health? You breathe it all your life and eventually you die from it.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

Quote Originally Posted by BornToRide View Post
    Perhaps some are happy and healthy, but all I have seen so far did react to alfalfa in some way - most were hyper reactive on it, including even TBs. One of the biggest problems I face is to educate people so they can actually spot the problems, because most are so wrapped up in their traditional thinking that something they are doing can't possibly be causing the problem.
    Actually, I can't think of anything more "traditional" than the erroneous belief alfalfa makes horses hot and reactive. Ditto protein in general.

---"Originally Posted by BornToRide
    Perhaps some are happy and healthy, but all I have seen so far did react to alfalfa in some way - most were hyper reactive on it, including even TBs. One of the biggest problems I face is to educate people so they can actually spot the problems, because most are so wrapped up in their traditional thinking that something they are doing can't possibly be causing the problem."---

Nonsense, that is a theory looking for facts to fit it.

The facts are that in most of Europe we didn't have any other than alfalfa and here for over 50+ years is all that many horses have had, other than pasture and they have done fine on it.

Alfalfa, as everything else, needs good management.
    You feed as much as you need according to the kind of alfalfa you have and the kind of horses you are feeding, their ages and workload.

We have had horses on alfalfa all their long lives, over 75 of them at times, TB's and QH's, broodmares, foals and horses in training of all ages.
    Our 28 year old paint is one that has thrived on alfalfa all his life, so are all of a neighbor's ranch horses, that are on free choice big square bales of alfalfa, are working hard and have yet to keel over from eating alfafa.

Feeding alfalfa alone is the prefered refeeding protocol for starved horses. If starved horses can do best on it, it has to be very easy to digest and the less troublesome of all we can feed one.

If someone doesn't know what they are doing, yes, you can make a horse ill with improper nutrition, but it won't be because it is alfalfa.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebmik View Post
    I guess I don't understand how alfalfa always gets a bad rap.
    What in the alfalfa makes ya'lls horses hot? too much protein?
    Protein doesn't make horses hot. Too many calories, mineral imbalances, too much sugar, allergies, all those can make a horse "hot".

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
    Someone somewhere is always allergic to something. But surely not all the people on this thread that have had 'problems' with alfalfa have been because all those horses are allergic to alfalfa. The general problems noted here are usually because the horse is just getting too much feed with the switch to a higher quality feed and still getting all its grain.
    Yep - alfalfa is roughly 25% higher in calories than grasses. You can't just swap pound for pound unless you're doing to so get more weight.

Of course there are exceptions. Did you know that air is toxic to your health? You breathe it all your life and eventually you die from it.
    Sad isn't it?