The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

Default Spinoff- What is the last straw?

There were a couple of comments made on another thread that got me thinking- "what is the last straw?" You know, the one that breaks the camels back in your relationship with your Vet or Blacksmith, and precipitates a change. Incompetence? Pricing? Schedule issues? Or other issues?

I see and hear of so many people who stay with a practice for along while, then leave, for whatever reason, and look back and wonder what took them so long. I do think we become complacent, and trusting, and just think it is the way things are, perhaps...

I should mention that I am sure that there are times when it is just time for a change- not because either party isn't doing their level best- but because, well, things change...

Your thoughts and experiences?
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

For me the last straw with the vet was when he made the comment to me, "Well, I'm not saying that there's nothing wrong, but maybe it's all in your head." "You know, she's just limping to get out of working, she's just playing you."

After taking my horse to another vet in the next county, the xrays showed an absess in her foot. Boy that's faking it.

The last straw with the farrier was when after having my horse loose the same shoe on the same foot 4 (FR) times in a 6 week period, his comment was, "Well, I don't know what her problem is, she just has bad feet, maybe you need to get another horse." I paid the farrier every time to come back out and put the shoe back on even though he guaranteed his work. He also had a hard time answering questions that I had regarding hoof issues and hoof care.

After having a friend encourage me to try going barefoot and using a very knowledgeble local barefoot trimmer, things have been great and my horses 4 white feet have never looked better in the 5 years I have had her.

Some have few options to choose from and they may all be the same. Some don't want to tick anyone off. Some just want to be nice, until they realize the horse suffers too much.

I draw the line when things don't make any sense anymore. I questioned one vet once about dog vaccinations and why they supposedly need them every year. His comment was, because the manufacturer says so. That was the wrong answer an I never went back. Found a much better holistic vet instead.

I am allready very chosey to start with and would ask around to see who might be the best option and why. I would also look at their work first before possibly participating

Last straw for me was when my Vet had to put down my horse. I had him for 20 years and had never owed her a dime or done anything to make her think I would not pay her. He was a pet and not some sort of object that I would not feel grief over. I had been up with him for 2 days.

She asked for payment before the horse was put down, then again as I left because I could not watch and again called me within a hour to ask me to go by the bank and get cash and bring it to her.

It was not a planned event and I was not in any shape to drive all over town cashing checks. I sort of felt it showed such bad judgment that I had to question her judgment about the horse having to be put down. If she couldn't remember I had been a responsible client, employee, and acquaintance for 20 years I had to wonder if she remembered that there had been several other occasions when a Vet had aid the horse would die.

I lost confidence in her judgment and had to really come to grips with the fact my horse might have not needed to be put down. I also had to wait 3 hours for her to show up. I think she might have been too sleepy to understand that I was calling her to put the horse down, but you'd think "can you come out and put the horse down, I think he is dying" is pretty clear.

OMG...I am so, so very sorry that you had to endure that, EL. How incredibly cold and unkind on the Vet's part. You made a right decision, I am sure, in knowing your horse needed to be released- and if in doing that right thing, you also learned a lesson, your beloved horse was watching over you, even then...

I had a great farrier-- but totally unreliable about making/keeping appointments. Several times we said that every horse in the barn needed to be done and he agreed to do that AND showed up. Then after about 4 horses he would start packing up his things and say he had to go to another barn because he had put them off for 2 weeks. Which meant that we would have to chase him down and come out again (and hope he showed). So, I finally said ENOUGH. I appreciate farriers who 1) make appointments; 2) confirm appointments; 3) show up or at least give you a call and tell you if they are going to be delayed.

Last straw for my old vet: told me to put my TB down as there was nothing we could do for him... totally misdiagnosed the lameness problem (was a simple abscess) - he's NO longer allowed to touch my horses. Horse is fine and it's been over three years since that happened.

Last straw for farrier: when my old farrier would just show up and shoe my TB BEFORE he was due or needed to be done - just happened to be driving by so he'd stop, slap new shoes on all four and then slap a nice hefty bill to his stall door. He was young and did an okay job but laughed at me when I wanted to try having my guy go barefoot. Hey you can always put the shoes back on! He is no longer allowed to shoe my horse (who is now barefoot and happy just like my OTTB - all thanks to my new farrier who is a true professional).

I don't mess around w/ the health/welfare of my horses and my dog .
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Quote Originally Posted by equinelaw View Post
    Last straw for me was when my Vet had to put down my horse. I had him for 20 years and had never owed her a dime or done anything to make her think I would not pay her. He was a pet and not some sort of object that I would not feel grief over. I had been up with him for 2 days.

She asked for payment before the horse was put down, then again as I left because I could not watch and again called me within a hour to ask me to go by the bank and get cash and bring it to her.

It was not a planned event and I was not in any shape to drive all over town cashing checks. I sort of felt it showed such bad judgment that I had to question her judgment about the horse having to be put down. If she couldn't remember I had been a responsible client, employee, and acquaintance for 20 years I had to wonder if she remembered that there had been several other occasions when a Vet had aid the horse would die.

I lost confidence in her judgment and had to really come to grips with the fact my horse might have not needed to be put down. I also had to wait 3 hours for her to show up. I think she might have been too sleepy to understand that I was calling her to put the horse down, but you'd think "can you come out and put the horse down, I think he is dying" is pretty clear.
    I am so sorry - not only did she do you a total disservice, she did even a bigger one to the horse.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Last straw with a farrier? When he was over an hour late for an appointment and didn't call. So I called his house, and he answered the phone with a mouthful of food. When I said "where are you?" he said "Home. I was running late and didn't think you would wait that long, so I just went home to dinner". He had the barn phone number (this was before cell phones), and I always knew that the last appointment of the day would most likely be running late and I told him that I expected that he might be late and would have appreciated a phone call at the very least, so I could have gone home to dinner and rescheduled our appointment.

I was always there for him, with cash in hand for every appointment, and this was the second (and last) time that he stood me up. I started calling around for another farrier the next morning.

So far I have not worked with any vet that gave me any problems.

The farrier I used for 20 years was HORRIBLE keeping appointments. I put up with it for that many years until I desperately needed him and he just never showed. No call, no show, no job

Tried one particular farrier earlier this year that was recommended to me. He was a complete hack that had TWO assistants with him. A girl to hand him tools (I'm sure that wasn't her only job), he used the nippers and parred out soles and then another guy rasped the feet smooth. The worst dog and pony show I've ever seen. And my horses feet looked HORRIFIC. Every single one of them. And one wound up lame when he was done. I called the local farrier supply company and the guy laughed saying he wished I would have called first and he could have warned me. Oh well, you live and you learn. I like my farrier now because he's good, patient, and if he does something I'm not thrilled with, he listens to me and doesn't get defensive or take things personal (knock on wood with this since I have some issues I need to discuss with him in a couple of weeks!).

Vets - I have one that I will only use in dire emergency. The guy has a horrible attitude and thinks that if a horse doesn't want to be twitched then he's a 'dumb son-umma-bitch' and screams those exact words at the horse over and over and over. However, he's the closest vet or the only one available so sometimes I have no choice. I asked him to come out to do xrays on a horse and he screamed at me because I wouldn't go rent a trailor to bring the horse in and said he was going to charge me extra for having to do it. I was *this* close to telling him to f off. I used a different vet for that that I had never used before and he is now my official favorite vet. There are 5 vets that I use when it comes to the horses. Some are better than others for specific things. I love, love, love the fact that there are lot of close large animal vets in my area even though I'm in the middle of nowhere.

The last straw with the farrier was when after having my horse loose the same shoe on the same foot 4 (FR) times in a 6 week period, his comment was, "Well, I don't know what her problem is, she just has bad feet, maybe you need to get another horse." I paid the farrier every time to come back out and put the shoe back on even though he guaranteed his work. He also had a hard time answering questions that I had regarding hoof issues and hoof care.

After having a friend encourage me to try going barefoot and using a very knowledgeble local barefoot trimmer, things have been great and my horses 4 white feet have never looked better in the 5 years I have had her.
    same story for me. exactly.

what I didn't understand at the time: if he was so good of a farrier how my horse's feet kept degenerating?

I had my long term trusted farrier cripple one of my horses- it could have been a hot nail, it may have been many things, but when I called him that afternoon, and the next five days, he refused to answer, or return, my calls...then showed up a week later, and explained he had "Buck Fever".

Buh-bye!!!

With equine professionals, I've learned over the years that the proof is in the horse. How they respond, recover, etc. after a trim or vet treatment or training session is the real test.

Hell I really don't know all that much in the scheme of things, and I trust the pros taking care of my horse to do their jobs. But at the same time, I've learned to be proactive. When things go downhill with the horse or I feel the pro is taking an approach that does not make sense.... I question, and then if necessary, make a change...

I suppose its about educating yourself, and trusting your gut instinct, and what feels right...
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Last straw for me with a vet I had used since I was a kid was when he gave my horse a treatment I specifically told him not to on multiple occasions (including about 5 mins before he performed the procedure) I've never been so furious in my entire life, sadly it ruined what was a very good friendship. Looking back we were just too comfortable with one another and he felt OK overriding my decisions....so not ok and he never had the courage to actually talk to me about it, he just avoided me like a 5 year old .

For farriers it's simple: If their work is declining and they are unwilling to change it then they go. It seems like the farriers I've had get very complacent and their work declines the longer they work on your horses. I solved this problem by just spending alot more $$ for one of the top farriers in the county and flying him in when I can't meet him at a show. It's a PITA but gives me peace of mind and my horses feet are amazing.

Happily i've only had to drop one professional. A farrier who was very good but totally unreliable about keeping appointments. At a barn where I had to drive 30 minutes to hold my own horse for him. The third time he didn't show up or kept me waiting an hour, I cornered the next farrier I saw (boarders there used all different farriers) and asked him to do my horses.

I have very little patience for unreliable people... period.

I have very little patience for people who talk $hit about other people behind their backs... gossip is stupid... period.

Integrity is important to me, I want to associate with real and honest people... if you are fake take it somewhere else... period.

These things are all important whether they are found in professional or personal relationships.

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

My last straw was after the farrier quicked my mare for the third time. The first time I didn't see it happen, but she was lame for a week after the reset and needed bute. The second time I saw him do it and when she tried to pull her hoof away he slapped her across the flank with his rasp. It pissed me off but he's one of the best farriers in the area so I let it go - mistakes happen. But again, lame for a week and bute. Well, third time he did it, drawing blood and making my mare a complete wreck for farrier work, that was it.

I don't care how good the final result is, if the steps taken to get there involve hurting my horse, it ain't happening.

I now have a wonderful farrier who took a LOT of time and care to help me get that mare back to the steady girl she was, and he does a wonderful job on my current horse. He's always on time (although a little hard to get ahold of so I make sure to set my appointments up before he leaves), very patient and knows his schtuff.

Luckily I haven't had any bad vet experiences (knocking on my head).

Luckily I haven't had issues with vets, but shoers are a whole different story. The worst case was the vet had given specific instructions to the shoer how we wanted my horse shod. My vet had taken the time to speak to the shoer personally. I arrive the next day to find horse not shod properly, not even close. I ask trainer..."what the heck????" Trainer says shoer thought he knew more than the vet and shod horse the way he saw fit. I call shoer who refuses to come out and correct the shoeing job. I ended up missing a horseshow and lost about $500.

Quote Originally Posted by equinelaw View Post

WOW!

Our vet of 25+ years has had to euthanize only two horses for us in all these years and he has never charged for it at all.
    Neither has our small animal vet and he and his staff cry right along with us.

We would like to change our old horse vet, because he is so busy any more with the breeding end of it and the two other vets he employed have gone on their own, both very good vets also and one of them has a friend's son, a newly graduated vet with much hands on experience working for him, that would suit our horses better now.

BUT, we can't leave the older vet, because he has been a top vet and still is, although a decision will have to be made if he doesn't get some other vet in there soon to take care when he is gone.
    Right now, we have been using both, which is not such a bad idea.
    With the little vet work we have to do, it is hardly enough to use two clinics.
    We know how lucky we are to have so many good equine vets around here and several top ones at that.

As far as farriers, our old one of over 25 years, taht shod many of our race and other performance horses, passed on a few years ago with cancer and the new one just broke his wrist two months ago, so we have a new one coming for the second time next week, that seems to be doing a good job trimming our horses.

For me, it was my vet of 15 years, who foaled out the horse in question, had gelded him,etc. When the horse was a yearling he was on pasture board and had a catastrophic injury. I arrived at the stable to see him on 3 legs with a circle of dirt around him where he had obviously only been able to pivot that same circle for some time. (It was Thanksgiving weekend many years ago and I was out of town when the injury occurred, it so happens the bo was at a show out of town with students. Thankfully the guy who feeds saw him hobbling and brought him into a pen, but didn't know how to reach either me ot the bo-this was also last straw with bo) I called my vet who said, "It's Sunday, what do you want me to do that can't wait?" Now, I conceed that I had no knowlege of how long the horse had already been in this condition at this time, but waiting even a minute longer was unreasonable to me.
    I have tolerated so much lateness and missed apps by farriers, I'm actually embarassed.
    Don't toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!