The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Boyd Martin clinic--what to expect?

I'm riding in a clinic with him this weekend (doing both dressage *and* jumping with him, not dressage with Silva and jumping with Boyd), and wondered what types of exercises he likes to set up. (I watched part of the jumping portion of his clinic at Morven last month--the N/T group--and he had them doing some interesting things, including a low triple bounce, bending line to one-stride combo: square oxer to vertical with large x-rail, from both directions, etc. Looked fun and challenging!)

He's also charming and funny, which is kind of a bonus...

Any insights would be appreciated!
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Just be prepared to be challenged and don't freak out when things look bigger and more complex than you are used to doing. Unlike some clinicians, he's not trying to overwhelm you and your horse. Boyd will quite systematically build things up so that your horse will totally understand the question and be successful, and when you are finished, you will look at what you've jumped and THEN say "WOW!"
    \"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.\"--Pogo

As I've already said, expect to have a great time!

It's been awhile since I rode with him, but my memories are that first and foremost he has a "gentler" approach than a lot of men eventers I've ridden with. When picking up the right lead canter, my boy kept giving out a rip roaring kick. I asked him what I should do about this - his answer was go on about your business, as your relationship grows you will figure each other out - don't make it out to be a bid deal.

Jumping was a combination of bending lines, grids, and various gymnastics. More bending lines than I had ever done at that point - we basically went through 4 verticals on a serpentine.

And he is VERY positive. VERY fun to ride with.

You will like him.

I was riding in the clinic at Morven on a client's 4yr. This is a video of what we did out x-country- http://www.vimeo.com/2282185 We started by doing each piece individually and then built a course. I watched some of the other groups and they basically did the same sort of course but added in the bigger stuff that was out there. Boyd is very much about longer reins, stay back and sending the horse forward. He was very willing to get on horses who needed a bit of schooling for for riders who didn't feel they were up to the job.

All groups did the same stadium just different heights. The exercises gradually built the horses up so you had them confident before moving onto another exercise. It was funny to watch how our BN group had no trouble with those skinny rolltops set on the curve but the other groups really struggled.

Boyd is very easy to talk to and easy on the eyes. You have to make sure you don't get to distracted

(Yes, I was giggling like a silly schoolgirl when I checked his bits at Loch Moy this summer. )
    ACK! That sounds dirty, in a British sort of way! Where is flyingchange to point this out?!?

Thanks, everyone! I can't wait; it sounds like it will be a great time as well as a learning experience.

(After clinicing with Lucinda--in the Prelim/Intermediate group --I got a good snootfull of "uber big exercises"; but again, you work up to them, so they are very doable...)

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Yeah, I have to agree with the easy on the eyes - I have a joked that I have been whipped by him - he took my stick and hit me on the thigh with it to demonstrate the proper attention getting pressure

Yes - which bits are we referring to

(That Silva is a lucky woman...)

We thought about doing this clinic (various things kept us from getting signed up, and Vernon, who's been vacationing, didn't get enough prep in time), but when we first thought about it, I asked a friend who rides with him regularly if she thought it was worth pulling Vernon out of vacation for. She said definitely. And added that he's going to tell you what you need to change or improve, but he's not going to sugarcoat stuff and overcomplicate things (my kinda of teaching!). Sad I won't be doing it, but my guy still really deserves his whole vacation. I'll get a chance soon enough.

Yes, Yellowbritches - aren't you going to host a Boyd clinic???? Then you, too, can check out his bits.

Hey Dr D- what is the general schedule of the clinic? It is down the road from us and so I might try to come over and audit.
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Quote Originally Posted by regeventer View Post
    Yes, Yellowbritches - aren't you going to host a Boyd clinic???? Then you, too, can check out his bits.
    When I read this, I made a noise (a combo cackle/chortle/squeak/guffaw, apparently) that caused my DH (who was in the kitchen) to go "what the hell was THAT noise coming out of you?!?"

(And of course I couldn't reveal to him what it was that I found so funny...)

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Hey Dr D- what is the general schedule of the clinic? It is down the road from us and so I might try to come over and audit.

Hey bambam,

Dang, I wish I boarded where you do!

I sent you a PM...

The clinic will run from 8:00 AM to 6:30 PM, and starts with dressage at the BN level, then goes up (the levels) from there; I ride my dressage session (P combined with T) from 1:00-2:00. The jumping is the same way: the lower divisions first (starting with 2:30-3:30), and ending with my division--from 5:30-6:30. (I'll be driving home in the dark, hauling a borrowed trailer...let's hope the snow holds off until after I'm safely home! )

Dr. D-

Well, do you think I have revealed the whipped story to my DH? Heck noooooooo - so I am in on that conspiracy with you!

Dr. D-

Well, do you think I have revealed the whipped story to my DH? Heck noooooooo - so I am in on that conspiracy with you!
    STOP cracking me up--I haven't even had dinner yet, and it's already "wine spew!" time

I find a little wine spewing is good for the soul - just don't spew too much, that is a waste!

I am sampling a fine Pinot Noir at the moment.

I am toasting you - have fun this weekend, ogle a little, learn alot, and report on Monday!!!!!

I find a little wine spewing is good for the soul - just don't spew too much, that is a waste!

I am sampling a fine Pinot Noir at the moment.

I am toasting you - have fun this weekend, ogle a little, learn alot, and report on Monday!!!!!

Thanks, I agree--and will do!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
    When I read this, I made a noise (a combo cackle/chortle/squeak/guffaw, apparently) that caused my DH (who was in the kitchen) to go "what the hell was THAT noise coming out of you?!?"

(And of course I couldn't reveal to him what it was that I found so funny...)
    Oh yeah, I have a very very hard time not getting all embarrassed and giggling silly whenever I'm within 50 feet of him. Doesn't help that he pretended to try to run me over when I was on jump crew at Surefire this summer! (He had a wicked grin on his face when I yelped and jumped out of the way, so I'm pretty sure it was all in good fun. )
    -my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

Bwahahahahahahah!!!!!!

Dr D - if he comes over to check your bit, don't turn too red and try to stay on the horse while you are containing your laugh!!!

When I was videoing/photographing my friend at the morven clinic, I had a very hard time not just keeping the camera on Boyd ... lbut I don't think her husband or my husband would have enjoyed the shots very much.

Anyway, try not to check his bits too much this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by flyingchange View Post
    Bwahahahahahahah!!!!!!

Dr D - if he comes over to check your bit, don't turn too red and try to stay on the horse while you are containing your laugh!!!

When I was videoing/photographing my friend at the morven clinic, I had a very hard time not just keeping the camera on Boyd ... lbut I don't think her husband or my husband would have enjoyed the shots very much.

Anyway, try not to check his bits too much this weekend!
    Yes, must be sensitive to the husbands...

Mr. Dr. D is now going to come with (and has my profound gratitude; I'm going through some major pain issues, lately, plus have been overdoing it physically, and am pretty wiped out--so his help is SO appreciated...but as a result, he will miss all the major Championship college football games, so I will "owe him one", bigtime! Amy, the organizer, promised that there would be good food there. She also said that there were "more auditors than she expcted", so if anyone is able/willing to bring along some extra folding chairs, PLEASE do so!)

Anyway, I will have to tone down my physical reactions to "Mr. Eye Candy"

I have a feeling that the "extra auditors" might be as a result of this thread...

holy cow, this is too excellent. I will never again look at "bit checker" in quite the same way.
    It is right down the road from me too (and if I had the $$ I'd have signed the baby up for it in a heartbeat) but I am home working this morning and have to piaffe, I mean trot, the rehab horse later today.
    Have fun!!!
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother