The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default ? for cosequin users....

where's the cheapest place to buy it?

Ebay.

I get the 3lb container for around $150.

That is, of course, the regular. I don't know prices for any of the newer types (ie ASU,etc)

I get the 1400 gram size w/msm version on ebay for 125.00 with free shipping. Reputable seller, expiration date posted in ad. I find it via microsofts' livesearch (live.com) where I have a cashback account (signup is free). That gives me 30% cash back to my paypal account, so in all it cost around 90.00. As you can get up to 2500. in cash back in the course of the year, I will be buying as much of my supplements as possible this way.
    www.hawkstracefarm.com
    Home of Peggy, Doodles, Maggie, and Lexi the wonder horse!

Sandy, which version are you getting? I've never seen the regular version for that cheap. I see the Optmized w/ MSM out there now for $129.95, but the 3lb container lasts MUCH less time than the regular, because the serving size is bigger.

The loading dose for the Optimized w/ MSM is 33gm, then half that for maintenance.

The loading dose for the original formula is 13.2gm for a large horse (over 1300lb), then 6.6gm maintenance - big difference.

I get the Cosequin with ASU for $143 a container but that is because I buy the 3 pack. Shipping is free. Entirely Pets is where I get mine from
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Sandy, which version are you getting? I've never seen the regular version for that cheap. I see the Optmized w/ MSM out there now for $129.95, but the 3lb container lasts MUCH less time than the regular, because the serving size is bigger.

The loading dose for the Optimized w/ MSM is 33gm, then half that for maintenance.

The loading dose for the original formula is 13.2gm for a large horse (over 1300lb), then 6.6gm maintenance - big difference.
    I am getting the MSM version... I figured there was a catch in there somewhere, but I have just started using it so I will probably adjust for next time and still use the discount system. Thanks for the clarification!
    www.hawkstracefarm.com

Yep, I thought that might be the case People see Cosequin + whatever for a cheaper price and think wow, great deal! They don't think to check the serving size in order to calculate the cost per serving. It's MUCH cheaper to get regular Cosequin and add your own MSM because MSM is pretty cheap.

I checked this morning, and "my" Cosequin guy on Ebay has it for $156 now, plus shipping, for the original version, 3lb/1400gm container. I have never seen it cheaper.

American Livestock Supply has 1400 grams of Cosequin (the original version, without extras) for $149.95 with free shipping.

http://www.americanlivestock.com/p-1...ed-powder.aspx

I get the Regular Cosequin 1400 gram powder (424 scoops) for $161.80 - no cost for shipping - at horsewarehouse.com.

That is the everyday price - not a sale price.

Yep, I thought that might be the case People see Cosequin + whatever for a cheaper price and think wow, great deal! They don't think to check the serving size in order to calculate the cost per serving. It's MUCH cheaper to get regular Cosequin and add your own MSM because MSM is pretty cheap.

I checked this morning, and "my" Cosequin guy on Ebay has it for $156 now, plus shipping, for the original version, 3lb/1400gm container. I have never seen it cheaper.
    I got the package yesterday, opened it up, dug around and found the tea cup size scoop. Grrr.

Is this as effective as the other? I'm giving it to my 23 year old mare in hopes that it will relieve some of her creakiness and I don't want to lose the start we got with the regular cosequin.
    www.hawkstracefarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Foxyrab View Post
    American Livestock Supply has 1400 grams of Cosequin (the original version, without extras) for $149.95 with free shipping.

http://www.americanlivestock.com/p-1...ed-powder.aspx
    Sale, sweet! I may just have to get one to save $7 + shipping, even though I won't need it for another 4 months or so. Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by SandyHTF View Post
    I got the package yesterday, opened it up, dug around and found the tea cup size scoop. Grrr.
    LOL! You gotta figure that 10gm of MSM ain't no tiny scoop

Is this as effective as the other? I'm giving it to my 23 year old mare in hopes that it will relieve some of her creakiness and I don't want to lose the start we got with the regular cosequin.
    I have not used anything but the regular, as I prefer to add MSM separately - cheaper, and I can modify the amount at will (although I'd not go below 10gm, I might not want to feed it at all for a bit). If anything, it's more effective than the regular, given the added MSM.

The Live.com site sounded intriguing, but how do you find a specific item like Cosequin on it?

Sale, sweet! I may just have to get one to save $7 + shipping, even though I won't need it for another 4 months or so. Thanks for the tip!
    For some reason, American Livestock Supply has been having a "sale" on Cosequin for $149.95 for the last year or so. In their catalog, they tend to list a lot of their products that way -- what you would pay elsewhere, and their price.

Having said that, I'm sure the price will immediately jump to the non-sale price of $179.45...

You can usually find a $10 off coupon for entirelypets through google. Although I'm not sure that will beat the ALS price.

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    The Live.com site sounded intriguing, but how do you find a specific item like Cosequin on it?
    The live.com thing seems to come and go. I learned about it through a tech newsletter I get and they mentioned the same thing.

Here's the deal:

Sign up for the live.com cashback program (it's microsoft's search engine and they're buying your love ).

Search for the item you want at live.com.

Click the result that has the little $ sign and cashback notice next to it (usually at the top or right side, generally into the live search shop has been a waste of time over ebay or retailers).

It seems to shift discounting. I bought an ipod touch and the cosequin at 30% off via ebay using paypal checkout. I went back for another item and no ebay discount at all, but 20% off at Target.com. Now I am showing 8% off ebay (blogs mention the ebay 15% off credit card offer is part of why their discount is lowered).

In any case, that currently puts cosequin classic at $143.00 with free shipping through the same dealer I bought from:

http://cgi.ebay.com/EQUINE-COSEQUIN-1400-GRAMS-3-LBS-HORSE-EXP-07-2011_W0QQitemZ200282827873QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item200282827873&_trksid=p3286. c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1199|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|2 40%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Hopefully the discount will go back up again... not sure what the MS strategy is.
    www.hawkstracefarm.com