The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Has anyone ever seen this or dealt with it before... Owners post 22...

I am posting this for my very busy trainer... Her horse back in June did something to her tendon, and per vet recommendations she poltice and cold hosed and wrapped. After about a month and a half and she was still not better she ended up getting it started out as a quarter size sore on the front of her cannon bone (You can see in the photo where it started the hair is now white above the black sore or whatever it is) The vet came out again and said that it looked like a irritation and to stop polticing but to continue to wrap because if she didn't get wrapped her leg would blow up... So still now today that sore is there just moved down as you can see in the pictures and if we leave a wrap off of her, her leg blows up. She is 100% sound on the leg and vet said on Monday might be a infection and may need to cut and drain. Let us know if you have ever seen this, also as you can see in the picture the tendon is still a little swollen. Thanks in advance for all your thoughts on this we have had a number of VERY good vets out to look at her and we are all stumped.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...g/100_0235.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...g/100_0236.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...g/100_0237.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...g/100_0238.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...g/100_0239.jpg
    Last edited by bhebert19; Dec. 5, 2008 at 07:45 PM.

It looks like it's the extensor tendon that's involved. What exactly did the vet diagnose? That tendon can rupture without the skin ever breaking. The sore and white hairs looks suspiciously like a bandaging problem.

If indeed the tendon did rupture (which does not have to make the horse lame), then the lymphatic system could have also become compromised, and that can lead to the swelling when leaving the wrap off. The way around that is to wean off the wrap as slowly as necessary. For my horse, that started at literally 30 minutes twice a day.

I am not sure what the vet actually said. He is coming back I believe again tomorrow and I am hoping my trainer will find time to jump on here and she can explain it better. I know from the mares past when she was still owned by her breeder did have a surgery done on the check ligament on that leg because she grew to fast and has a little bit of a club foot. She was originally lame when it first happened but since then she has been sound. Also the sore is not a scab as it looks kind of in the picture looks more like a blood blister almost.

I think we'd really need to know all the information to speculate on this one:

Does it ooze anything?

Have they had it biopsied? To see possibly if it's cancerous, or granular flesh.....

There's more white on the leg then just above the wound, is that all from the initial injury?

Have any cultures been done?

Ulrtasound?

X-rays?

What was the nature of the original injury... was there an open wound at that time? Of so how large was it?

Have antibiotics been given, if so then which one(s) and for how long, and what was the response?

What type of poltice was used on the leg.

What has the horses temperature been throughout this issue.
    Copyright ©2007-2012, Percheron X
    My creative work may be used on the COTH forum only.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    The sore and white hairs looks suspiciously like a bandaging problem.
    Thats interesting.... Could you explain more about this as I've never seen a bandage do that.

Do you think possibly a bandage somehow has cut off circulation and caused some flesh to nacrotize?

Quote Originally Posted by Percheron X View Post
    I think we'd really need to know all the information to speculate on this one:

Does it ooze anything?

Have they had it biopsied? To see possibly if it's cancerous, or granular flesh.....

There's more white on the leg then just above the wound, is that all from the initial injury?

Have any cultures been done?

Ulrtasound?

X-rays?

What was the nature of the original injury... was there an open wound at that time? Of so how large was it?

Have antibiotics been given, if so then which one(s) and for how long, and what was the response?

What type of poltice was used on the leg.

What has the horses temperature been throughout this issue.
    I am going to try to answer your questions to the best of my ability, as its not my mare and I don't know all the details.. I am hoping my trainer will jump on tomorrow provided she has time but like I said I think the vet will be coming out again...

The weird wound on the front of the leg has never oozed anything.

Her original injury was just the tendon blowing up this strange wound on the front of the leg came after being polticed and wrapped. (She has been polticed in the past before the injury to the tendon and never had a problem) I believe the white that connects with the wound or thing on her cannon bone is from the original wound that formed the other white on the sides i think is from the surgery she had but I am not 100%.

Has not been ultrasounded, biopsied, cultured or Xray... I think she is going to put more pressure on the vet tomorrow... The main vet that has been seeing the horse is a super vet is actually a retired vet from the track, so sometimes I think he tries to save you money but treating it without spending all your money.. But I think my trainer has had enough and just wants it to get better.

SMZ's were given when the wound first appeared and then also again about a month ago i believe for 10 days twice a day.

I am not sure of the poltice but same poltice has been used on other horses in the barn and nothing happened. But we don't know if the poltice just irritated the leg and made it abscess as it was used for many days in a row....

Mare has had no temp and has had very normal behavior...

Hope this help I am sure its not 100% what you were looking for but its not my horse and I don't care for her on a regular basis so I don't know all the details, Sorry.. Again I thank everyone for their thoughts on this.

The sore and white hairs looks suspiciously like a bandaging problem.

That's what I was thinking too. Looks like damage from a bandage that was too tight, or had uneven pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by bhebert19 View Post
    Her original injury was just the tendon blowing up this strange wound on the front of the leg came after being polticed and wrapped.
    This makes it sound like a bandage bow to the extensor tendon.

Could it be a sequestrum (?spelling) where a piece of bone chipped off and the chip is acting as an irritant? How hard would it be to take the horse to a big clinic for a good digital x-ray, an ultrasound and a second opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by bhebert19 View Post
    I am going to try to answer your questions to the best of my ability, as its not my mare and I don't know all the details.. I am hoping my trainer will jump on tomorrow provided she has time but like I said I think the vet will be coming out again...

The weird wound on the front of the leg has never oozed anything.

Her original injury was just the tendon blowing up this strange wound on the front of the leg came after being polticed and wrapped. (She has been polticed in the past before the injury to the tendon and never had a problem) I believe the white that connects with the wound or thing on her cannon bone is from the original wound that formed the other white on the sides i think is from the surgery she had but I am not 100%.

Has not been ultrasounded, biopsied, cultured or Xray... I think she is going to put more pressure on the vet tomorrow... The main vet that has been seeing the horse is a super vet is actually a retired vet from the track, so sometimes I think he tries to save you money but treating it without spending all your money.. But I think my trainer has had enough and just wants it to get better.

SMZ's were given when the wound first appeared and then also again about a month ago i believe for 10 days twice a day.

I am not sure of the poltice but same poltice has been used on other horses in the barn and nothing happened. But we don't know if the poltice just irritated the leg and made it abscess as it was used for many days in a row....

Mare has had no temp and has had very normal behavior...

Hope this help I am sure its not 100% what you were looking for but its not my horse and I don't care for her on a regular basis so I don't know all the details, Sorry.. Again I thank everyone for their thoughts on this.
    The surgery you are aware of, this was from another injury previous to the tendon blowing up? if so how long was the time between the two injuries?

Also, if this injury has been going on since June, It might be helpful to have some radiography to see what turns up. The horse may have a bone sequestrum and you won't know it without doing the proper diagnostic workups.

It looks *exactly* like a pressure sore to me.

Funny that if that is what it is, the vets don't recognize it

The wrap may have gotten twisted or pulled too tight and then left on for too long.. too long in those circumstances is not very long, unfortunately.

I had a horse who had splint surgery who ended up w/a pressure sore across his cannon bone, the hair grew in white. A little Sharpie marker on his otherwise black leg, no one knows...

Now, as to how to deal with it, if that is what it is...

obviously reviewing wrapping technique will be important but really it does happen under even the best of circumstances - like JB said, weaning her off the wrap is important. I might be worried about a fungal infection in something that has been kept wrapped and wet for so long. Hmmm. I'd definately want an ultrasound of the original injury and maybe a scrape of this to be sure of what I were dealing with.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

This makes it sound like a bandage bow to the extensor tendon.
    Her original injury was a day after she was jumping and her tendon blew up and the only way it stays down is if it is wrapped but never went back to normal completely. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by lstevenson View Post
    That's what I was thinking too. Looks like damage from a bandage that was too tight, or had uneven pressure.

Please explain to me about damage from a bandage causing white hairs?

Unfortunatly?.... I have only seen one bandage bow in my 15 year equine career, and never heard of this happening before. I think I do once remember seeing a horse with white hair on it's withers and being told it was caused by a saddle rub.

Are we taking about the same sort of thing? Does the bandage have to create rubs to make the patches of white hairs, or is the pressure alone enough to cause them?

The surgery you are aware of, this was from another injury previous to the tendon blowing up? if so how long was the time between the two injuries?

Also, if this injury has been going on since June, It might be helpful to have some radiography to see what turns up. The horse may have a bone sequestrum and you won't know it without doing the proper diagnostic workups.
    Her surgery I believe was to cut her check ligament because she grew to quickly and then also has the club foot... I am not too sure about it but it was not from a injury. Her surgery was from when she was a foal. So there were a couple years I would say between the time.

Also like I said tomorrow the vet is coming out again and my trainer is going to tell them they need figure out what is going on because she doesn't want to do this trail and error thing anymore. If they do not do what they need to do I think she will be putting her on a trailer to go to a clinic as this is her jumper mare but she doesn't feel right working the mare with her leg like this even tho she is sound.

Again thank you so much for giving us your suggestions... We cant figure it out either and she just wants her horse back.

Also I agree 100% with everyone on the ultrasound... Hopefully that is what they will be doing tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    It looks *exactly* like a pressure sore to me.

I absolutely agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I absolutely agree with this.
    This is something I could see because sometime she does try to pull her bandages off, so maybe she pulled it tight and over time it has continued to get worse. I will mention this to her tomorrow to ask the vet. Thank you again.

Please explain to me about damage from a bandage causing white hairs?
    Same way an ill-fitting saddle can cause white hairs - the excess pressure, over time, damages the pigment-producing ability of the hair follicle, so the hair hair grows in white.

Same way an ill-fitting saddle can cause white hairs - the excess pressure, over time, damages the pigment-producing ability of the hair follicle, so the hair hair grows in white.
    Thank you JB, I just learned something new.

bhebert19,
    I hope your friend's horse gets the ultrasound/x-rays/biopsy and you figure this out for sure.

Jingles that she heals up soon.

A friend of mine has a mare with the same issue.
    No white hair however, but a big swollen extensor tendon. The first vet told her her horse was done and should be reitired. Something about bucked shins

Her horses issue came from being wrapped and polticed. Instead of wrapping she now ices.

The white hair really looks like a pressure situation.
    "Half the failures in life result from pulling in one's horse when it is leaping."

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=eca0d15457