The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A Trainer's Christmas Gift Basket...Ideas Please!

I've decided for Christmas that I'd like to get my trainer/instructor and his gf, who is assistant trainer a gift basket of items that they would appreciate, both horse related and not. My budget is $50-75 total, but I need help with some ideas!

Can anyone suggest things that they have gotten their trainers/instructors, or received from their students or clients, or even "the little things" that would be appreciated?? Your ideas are appreciated!

Here is some background: They are in their late 20s/early 30s, Eventers, we are in Northern Va, they drink excessive amounts of coffee and coke , all the horses in their barn are TBs, they also fox hunt and train TB babies for racing, they havea small but loyal clientele, and they are very down to earth, fun couple...not snotty or stuck up in any way, they hangout with their clients and students ( all around the same age) outside the barn so they do get out a bit, they appreciate even the smallest gesture of kindness/help offered. They are awesome people, who dont really need anything, but I want to get them something fun, but practical too.

I'd like to put the following in the basket:

-A 12 month calendar...horsey of course!
    -those pocket hand warmer packs... we have an indoor for lessons, but its still cold!
    -maybe some mittens and scarves...?
    - gift card to the local smoothie/ coffee shack & travel mugs (they also train at 3 other barns besides the one they operate where I ride)
    - nice riding gloves and/or barn gloves for work
    - some chocolate ( because everyone needs some chocolate)
    - I want to get some custom Euro stickers ( the oval ones) that have the barn name on them
    -homemade cookies

I'm kinda at a loss for ideas tho! Please help! What else should I add?

p.s. The other girls in the barn have order custom trainers jackets for them so thats the expensive gift, but this basket is kind of a group thing, so we want to keep the cost down, but fill it up!
    Crayola Posse~Aquamarine
    Love vs Money...for the love of my horse, I have no money!

Well you already thought of alot of the stuff I would suggest such as the giftcards (do small denominations of them), the hand warmers, scarves, and such. Perhaps since they are BF/GF some movie tickets, or something local that would be fun to do as a couple (ice skating, bowling, or the like)

I hadnt thought of the movie tickets! Great Idea!
    Crayola Posse~Aquamarine

Spa stuff like bath crystals, candles, soaps, lotions, and maybe a bottle of wine and a horsey glass to go with it.
    If you cannot set a good example, at least serve as a terrible warning....

I gave gift certificates for manicures/pedicures one year and they loved it since they rarely get to pamper themselves. They were all female, though, so not sure if this would work for both of your folks but the GF might like it.

I agree with the mani/pedi for her and something specifically for him. Make the rest of the items for both.

And of course a little something for them to do together
    Ride it like you stole it....ohhh sh*t

Do they also do the barn chores? If so, then a gift certificate for an upcoming day - maybe the day after Xmas, or New Year's day - when they can have the day OFF- no feeding, grooming, etc.

You have to make it for a particular day, or they probably won't take you up on it.

1 members found this post helpful.

They may be too young to need it, but last winter I got my trainer one of those buckwheat neck/ back pillows that you can heat in the microwave and she raved about it!

gift certificates to a day spa..they can get massages or whatever they feel they need!

chocolate and gloves are great! Also some nice soap and a sponge!

A dozen seam rippers, a case of sharpies a case of pens.
    Clean dish towels in barn colors..there's never too many clean towels when you need them.
    Cans of fix-a-flat for the truck and trailer.

Zipper pulls for jackets and zip paddocks..no glove removal required.

And wine...lots of wine.
    Go, Baby, Go......
    Aefvue Farms Footing Inspector

Hoof picks, perhaps the FOLDING kind for foxhunting, lessons, etc. ALWAYS losing the darned things!!!

A bottle of Advil
    Gardener's Hand therapy moisturizer
    Ear muffs
    Burt's Bees lip balm
    Sunglasses
    Sunblock
    Some Hall's throat lozenges or slippery elm

(seems like an odd list in review... can you tell I"ve taught before?)

1 members found this post helpful.

Gas cards since they travel from barn to barn or gift cards to the local minimart (coffee soda snack stop) travel mugs or can coolers. A freshly stocked first aid kit add chocolate to it.!!!!!
    Proud Mama of a BOY rider

An eventing trainer?
    Advil, Tylenol, I like the throat lozenges idea, some packets of gourmet coffee, a few small mini-bar sized bottles of good stuff to pour in the coffee (liquor stores carry the small bottles), a mug that says "Because *I* am the Trainer!"
    I made my hubby a cute little gift for his office...I made him one of those miniature "Zen gardens" for his desk. Except his is a 5" square small low sided box filled with white sand, then I bought a small package of brown medium sized plastic beads and made little piles of them, and then at the toy store I bought the Breyer version of a small stall cleaning fork and a little wheelbarrow. So instead of just raking little lines in the sand...when he's stressed or bored he can clean a little stall. He *loves* it. So maybe try something like that? It was pretty cheap to make.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

2 members found this post helpful.

WOW guys! Thanks so much for all the ideas! They are great!

I am truly blessed to have this couple in my life. They are a huge encouragement in all aspects of my life, not just riding and have been a big inspiration in my goals and what I want to do in my future. I want to give them back something to show my appreciation for all the nights theyve stood out in the cold to coach me on the very basics of riding until I got it right, and corrected all my bad habits learned from previous trainers, and then they still offer me help with my horse, a shoulder to cry on, and a great sounding board.

I wish there were more people like that! Somehow though, what I'm doing doesnt feel like its enough!

Thanks again for all your wonderful suggestions! Im going to print this thread and take it shopping with me!
    Crayola Posse~Aquamarine

Good luck with yoour shopping and have fun!
    Your trainers sound great and I'm sure they're happy to be appreciated so much by their students.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

If the group would be willing to chip in over the year also, what about a paid-for membership to someplace like Netflix? A one or two DVD at a time package isn't that much per month, and with a busy schedule it would allow them to watch when they have time, without worrying about late fees. You could package it with some movie-at-home supplies like microwave popcorn, movie-theater candy, etc.

Another inexpensive basket filler would be to go to a local fabric store and get a big piece of fleece- in the barn colors or a horsey print. If you want, cut fringe into the ends, and you have one inexpensive throw. (If you have someone with a sewing machine, you can sew around the edges or add initials or something, but the fleece won't fray so you don't need to.)
    Last edited by kdow; Dec. 5, 2008 at 10:28 AM. Reason: blanket idea

Gift card to a nice local restaurant

Good bottle of wine
    "Horses give us the wings we lack"

Chapstick!

Hand moisturizer - I recommend Crabtree & Evelyn's Gardner's Therapy =]

How about reaching to the regular photographer at the shows to see about a gift certificate for a photo? (doesn't HAVE to be full value)

For a bottle of wine, something horsey related would be fun - there is obviously Wild Horse & 14 Hands which are popular but the one I love to give is called The Show and it has a nice graphic of an exploding bucking bronco on it =D
    TIMBERRIDGE SPORTHORSES:
    www.timberridgesporthorses.com
    --> Just Press Start // '99 Oldenburg
    --> Always The Optimist (reg. Simply Stylin) // '02 Thoroughbred