The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

yes i did-just today.

Now realize I am just learning this-but I am fairly 'body aware' (thanks to Julian and from trimming)...so

I started by checking his body. By feel and by watching him stand and move, he looked felt tight in his poll and front legs. He did not have any leaning posture that goes with a C7 tightness.

He had tightness between his shoulder blades and his girth area. He was not REACHING at the walk.

He had one vertebrae that felt like a different 'speed bump' than the rest. He also had a rib that came off that vertebrae that made a speed bump.

He had tightness around his sacrum that made him posteriorly (?) tilted? (The direction that gives the flat croup look).

NOW I am able to cheat a little with him because he is pretty constant with these areas when the chiro sees him. BUT this time I felt and looked for all the pieces

I checked his atlanto-occipital junction and he barely had 2 fingers width on each side.

So I did my best with my limited information (goodness people are shaing their heads at me)....he was NOT happy with the release for his A-O junction at first and I almost quit but just got slower-softer and let me adjust to the idea.

He gave SO much effort on that release-he was wide eyed then rolling his eyes then HUGE yawns...dropped his wanker.

He had almost 3 finger widths on each side when that finished.

I worked my way down and with each tight spot I got the same reaction-at first a big no thank you, then he got into it.

I got a little lost on his hind end (need to read over those chapters again)

Immediately after he was very interested in me-kept smelling my hands and stayed with me in his stall-normally he just wants me out.

He then peed and slept.

I can ONLY imagine what someone trained in this could do!

Polo was NOT interested in anything I had to offer.

Hugo was the most interesting...I did the A-O release on him (or whatever I thought was interesting! He had his head on my shoulder and was very tight-he would roll his eyes and chatter his teeth...I could here him clanking his jaw-very stressed feeling).

After like FOREVER he started STRETCHING his neck and jaw-he would go one way but not the other-so we gradually worked the bad way-he would chatter his teeth on the bad way.

Then he would pull away, lick and chew and THEN come back and put his head back on me. I stretched him again and rinse and repeat.

At the end he did not clank his teeth and had more mobility...he licked me hands for several minutes after.

Then HE peed and dropped his head to sleep.

Honestly I am just messing with this-clueless as i am...BUT it was VERY interesting!

I want to find some place to REALLY learn how to do this-this is just the most interesting thing I have found since hoof trimming!

OH I forgot! Hugo did drink a full bucket of water just before he slept!

AND when I walked the boys out each one was walking very drunk and loosey goosey.

OK way cool stuff.

I want more.

All my human clients run to the bathroom too when I am done - it is just another release

OH this is so dangerous in my hands. My hooves are all trimmed so all I have to do is release all of my horses!

Several years ago Milo had an accident when tied-pulled back and it was a long fight with the rope before it broke.

He has been very head shy since, won't tie and I must be very careful around his poll.

Today I went to the mat and decided to hang in there for the full release of his A-O junction.

The first several minutes involved him rearing and head slamming me while I tried to get my hands over his poll.

Once THAT was achieved i started stretching him.

MAN.

He was just STUCK and could NOT stretch out. The brace in him was powerful.

When he finally started trying I could feel crunching under his poll and in his jaw...

After 40 minutes he could stretch forward and left but not right and his poll and jaw still crunched.

Finally he reached out, flung me a bit and I heard two loud pops-you guess where.

After another 10 minutes I got about 90% range of motion left and right with a high head (like he was reaching up for leaves on trees).

My body is exhausted and he looks like he needs a cigarette.

Has this horse had a headache for the last 4 years?

WAY too much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by BornToRide View Post
    All my human clients run to the bathroom too when I am done - it is just another release
    Whenever I have time to do a good long work session on Rio's hind end, he gets very gassy Yep, another release!

Think about that if you deal with a horse who is a bit colicky - if it's a gas colic...

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Whenever I have time to do a good long work session on Rio's hind end, he gets very gassy Yep, another release!

Think about that if you deal with a horse who is a bit colicky - if it's a gas colic...
    Yes, that and simply lifting up a hind leg for trimming does that too. Horses really don't care about the human being close to the gas

It sounds very cool. I am very interested. Got the book on my Xmas list.

Great play back on your time spent with the horses, LMH!