The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can we talk about myofascial release

I have just finished reading Release the Potential by Doris Kay Halstead (great suggestion in another thread by BTR) and am going through it again.

This is actually a great little book. At less than 100 pages it is fairly clear and seems to be something any owner with common sense can do (note the common sense part)-she even says if you don't get it right (as in the full release), the worst thing that happens is you spent quality time with your horse.

Has anyone else read this (or other) book on this topic? Have you tried the releases? With success?

If so, share your stories. Or give other good straightforward resources!

I know you know , but for others, and being a bodyworker, I have found that this technique is much more tolerated than other, more invasive ones, like deep tissue for example, yet I get the same and often even better results.

Animals generally tolerate it a lot better and so do humans, however many can't get over the "you must feel it in order for it to work", AKA "no pain no gain" and therefore don't believe it actually works and won't try it. Yet I have gotten specific feedback from humans that only this technique helped effectively release some problem areas that they had dealt with for years, despite chiro and deep tissue massage work. Some problems disappeared and have never come back.

Therefore I am sold on primarily using this technique. I do also include trigger and acupressure point work and light massage strokes as needed :-)

Please don't tell me that book actually costs $285 . I looked it up on Amazon and that's the only one that came up. No way... I'm gonna look elsewhere, but Mf R was used on my boy with some good results a few months back. I'd love to learn how to use it. Oh, and I've had it done on me with INCREDIBLE results. Seriously. Didn't know that it was something I could learn to do on my own.
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

Noooooo it is like $70. I have NO idea why it is $285 on Amazon-something is funky there.

http://www.reachintolifebooks.com/Re...Potential.html

Jack Meagher has a great book too. Even I understood it and was able to follow some of the directions.

I think that when a horse needs it and gets it done well by a pro it's a freakin' miracle cure but, like any treatment, it doesn't always address the issue.

btw, I've had it done on myself and it ~hurt~. In a good way but it definitely can hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by silver2 View Post
    Jack Meagher has a great book too.
    btw, I've had it done on myself and it ~hurt~. In a good way but it definitely can hurt.
    Yeah, humans tend to think this way, animals don't. If it is uncomfortable in any way, they let me know immediately. Either by smacking me with their tail or becoming agitated and moving away. And it does not take much to get such reactions. The polite horses usually smack with the tail or move away, the less polite ones will threaten to kick or bite

A horse I had, much like yours LMH, (I know we've spoken about our respective beasties before...) anyway, mine HATED it. With a passion.

I do think it *helped.* He was looser and more relaxed in the days after a session. But it became too dangerous to let the woman work on him, and in the end, he'd get so stressed just seeing her come down the aisle that it kind of negated any positive effect it may have had!

But each horse is different, worth a shot perhaps. Just wanted to throw it out there that not all will tolerate the weird sensations it can induce.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Very interesting Flash.

I think it is fascinating to feel the tight spots-then feel the balance undersaddle and notice what the feet are doing.

A horse I had, much like yours LMH, (I know we've spoken about our respective beasties before...) anyway, mine HATED it. With a passion
    Wow, interesting. I have yet to come across one that did not like it.

About 5 years ago I lived in PA and had the good fortune to be at a barn that Doris came to regularly. The difference in how a horse looked before and after being worked on was amazing and it had a wonderful influence on my mare under saddle. Though I live elsewhere now, I still use the book and some of the things I learned while watching and talking with her.

On a side note, one of the funniest things I saw while Doris was working on my horse was one session where she finished up with Lexi and said "Ok, she's done." We looked at her and she stood there ears pinned flat back and mouth pinched tight... this is the sweetest natured, in your lap, barbie doll horse! I looked at Doris and said, I don't think she agrees. Sure enough a bit of hunting found one last adjustment which produced a huge sigh and pricked ears.

We sure do miss Doris!
    www.hawkstracefarm.com
    Home of Peggy, Doodles, Maggie, and Lexi the wonder horse!

I had it done on my guy and like the above poster's horse, he HATED it. Would not stand still, got genuinely aggressive (v. out of character) and we had to stop. The massage therapist said he was the first horse she'd ever worked on that couldn't handle it. He's usually an incredibly stoic guy, too, and he had been getting regular massages every 4wks prior to that. Something about it just tweaked him.

I've seen it done on other horses with great success, though.

Can you guys come work on me? My shoulder is still messed up.
    "Uh, if you're going to try that, shouldn't you unplug it first?"

I promise not to kick!
    "Uh, if you're going to try that, shouldn't you unplug it first?"

Where are you located?

If anyone finds the book for a reasonable price, please PM me! I looked last year and it was out of print, hence the astronomical fees. I've since picked up several others and some are good, some just ok. I work it into my client horses too and find some respond really well to it. I'd love to get formally trained, but $ is an issue, so for now it's whatever I can figure out on my own.

You can buy the new and updated version from her directly: http://www.reachintolifebooks.com/Re...Potential.html

i went over my 4 horses today and I am having a BLAST with this information!

I am shocked at the response! Lots of licking and chewing and YAWNING and licking ME after.

Hugo kept nudging me and would put his head on my shoulder like STRETCH me again!

As soon as I finished each horse, he would pee then drop his head and sleep.

So I did something very right or very very wrong!

Good book and good stuff.

LMH, have you done this with Julian? Just curious if there was much reaction from him?

Yea, make sure they have access to lots of water, and be prepared to muck lots of wet stuff out of their stalls. It's important for them to wash all of the stuff that gets released out of the muscles and fascia out of thier tissues.

Anyone have experience with Bowen body work? I have a friend who really has a knack for doing this work. She worked on one of mine recently, who then slept for about 36 hours, staggerd out of the barn looking like he'd just slept off a week-long bender, drank about 15 gallons of water and a few days later was moving like he'd never moved before. It's also a very, very light touch but has amazing results.

Body work absolutely fascinates me!!
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Bowen is a great technique as well - most of those types of body work really share a lot of similarities. The main difference is their name