The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Downthecenterline,
    I watched some of his videos. It appears to me that he clearly prefers going to the right on a circle. He switched on you without your request at least once. This would be consistent with being left sided, especially if he does this rather frequently without your request when you free longe him.

But, he also seems to have a tendency to cross canter behind and that would be a clue for me that there might be something going on in the hind end that causes compensation contrary to his side dominance and you may already be aware of that. Does he also have a tendency to carry the tail slightly more to the right? It seems that way in the most current video. If so , that would be another possible clue.

Quote Originally Posted by BornToRide View Post
    Downthecenterline,
    I watched some of his videos. It appears to me that he clearly prefers going to the right on a circle. He switched on you without your request at least once. This would be consistent with being left sided, especially if he does this rather frequently without your request when you free longe him.

But, he also seems to have a tendency to cross canter behind and that would be a clue for me that there might be something going on in the hind end that causes compensation contrary to his side dominance and you may already be aware of that. Does he also have a tendency to carry the tail slightly more to the right? It seems that way in the most current video. If so , that would be another possible clue.
    The riding video? The free-lunging video? I'm confused. Those are 2 years old. I don't free lunge him too much, and I wasn't the one doing the lunging, or the riding.

He carries his tail more to one side... I can't remember if it's the left or right.

The free longing video. If he still has a tendency to do this when you free longe him, it means there some sort of weakness in the hind end. It will also show you which direction he prefers to go in on a circle when cantering, if you do not interfere with that. The most current video under the rider shows him carrying the tail more to the right. Like I said, that's potentially also a sign of some hind end imbalance.

Quote Originally Posted by BornToRide View Post
    The free longing video. If he still has a tendency to do this when you free longe him, it means there some sort of weakness in the hind end. It will also show you which direction he prefers to go in on a circle when cantering, if you do not interfere with that. The most current video under the rider shows him carrying the tail more to the right. Like I said, that's potentially also a sign of some hind end imbalance.

The riding vid. is 2 years old. But thanks, this is interesting. I will watch today to see if he does this when I lunge and ride. Could this be something a good chiro could fix, or is it something for an experienced vet, do you think? Sorry to be so demanding, I know you can't tell too much from videos and pictures. The vet will be out today to do booster shots, so I'll talk to her as well.

So, the big question... Should we bring the heels down further? LOL. It's killing me, I want to knnnooooowwwwwww.

Quote Originally Posted by downthecenterlinetheycome View Post
    Yes, he scissors his legs when he grazes extremely, to the point that that RF is almost back under his stifle.

What kind of thing could he be compensating for? An injury?
    Well he would because of how that RF foot is shaped. The LF is low and better out in front and RF is steep and better placed back under himself. It may have been an injury at the start or something else entirely but unless he is still injured, it is now a foot issue.

I've heard a lot of different opinions; take the hoof down vs. leave it like it is, or you'll wreck his soundness, it's his way to compensate. But what is he compensating for? Shouldn't we fix THAT? Could it be the extreme back - at - the - knee conformation? (It's severe.)
    There are atleast 2 different opinions in this thread. There will always be more than one opinion. I've trimmed horses with mild cases of this and ones with severe and the mild cases were easy to correct. Your x-ray is a year old. If the coffin bone hasn't changed a great deal, I see no reason why his heels couldn't be lowered and him be able to readjust. The bone at that time still looked healthy and normal in shape. How long it would remain that way is unknown so all the better for having a new x-ray made. Then you can compare how it IS to how it WAS. Would you post a photo showing his knee? It's hard to know what you mean by "severe" when I may have seen worse or nothing like it before.

His Right Lead canter is past weak; it's just alien. Different trainers have described it as 'scary' 'unnerving' 'weird'. He finds it easier to canter with me (85 lbs) versus my trainer (110 soaking wet), even though she's a better rider. Could it just be fatigue from extending that upright foot? He can only go a couple strides right lead before diving on the forehand and breaking gait.
    It's possible that you and your trainer don't ride him exactly the same. Again, try wearing two different balanced shoes and TELL ME WHAT IT FEELS LIKE. If you want to relate to what he's going through, try it.

Tree
    Last edited by Tree; Dec. 4, 2008 at 01:45 PM.

The X-rays are just 3 months old, actually. I have full body pics on page 1. I've got to go now, but I will try your shoe suggestion!

The riding vid. is 2 years old. But thanks, this is interesting. I will watch today to see if he does this when I lunge and ride. Could this be something a good chiro could fix, or is it something for an experienced vet, do you think? Sorry to be so demanding, I know you can't tell too much from videos and pictures. The vet will be out today to do booster shots, so I'll talk to her as well.

So, the big question... Should we bring the heels down further? LOL. It's killing me, I want to knnnooooowwwwwww.
    Hopefully it is just muscle compensation, but you could also potentially dealing with other joint issues. I would definitely start with a chiro or massage therapist to see what you get. If he gets better than hopefully it is just a muscle realted issue and yes, I would keep the heels on the RF no longer than about 1 - 1.25 " at the back of the collateral grooves (depth of the collateral grooves close to the heels - the depth of the CG at the apex of the frogs shold be about 3/4 " on average

He looks like a really sweet horse btw and seems to like you a lot !

The X-rays are just 3 months old, actually. I have full body pics on page 1. I've got to go now, but I will try your shoe suggestion!
    Oh! Well, so much the better then. While bones can change some in as little as one month, it is still better than thinking that x-ray was a year old.

Tree

I agree with BTR - the horse did carry his tail to the right in the old video which may be a clue to why he is finding it hard to canter on the right lead. And he also plaited slightly in that older video - is that what you call 'paddling'. I lost track of what was happening when I'm sorry but the the feet look pretty good overall. I see so many 'bad' feet it's refreshing to see some that look pretty healthy.

Many hind end issues start off because of compensating for issues in the front end - but then become full-fledged problems in themselves. If he consistently favours one canter lead when moving free - as BTR says he'll have stronger muscles on one side of his body and long term, these imbalances mean he can't move straight let alone bend 'correctly'.

Sometimes muscle development in the shoulders can be a bit misleading - if the horse lifts the shoulder to unload a sore heel it can change the look of the musculature and muscle which is under chronic strain because of holding a limb at an unnaturally steep angle may be inflamed.

Soft tissue damage can be very slow to heal and you cannot expect a trim to correct it overnight. It may take months of patiently re-tuning hoof and body until they are singing from the same song sheet again.