The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rodney Powell: Elite vs Elite Pro. Need Major Help Here!

Merry Christmas Kristen, go blow 300 bucks on a vest! And when it comes to spending lots of money I'm really really bad at making decisions.

So what is the real difference in these? Anyone know?
    Elite vs Elite Pro

I'm having a terrible time picking out colors and design.
    I know I want shoulder pads, that pretty much all I'm sure of at this moment.

VTO has a nice set up of the style and colors. just scroll down.
    http://www.vtosaddlery.com/Merchant2...ategory_Code=E

My Tipp vest is royal blue with two purple chevrons.
    I've been toneing things down over the past year. Here is the color line. I like the white pad and boots. I think the horses look really classy in plain colors.

Too much color:
    http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...aboom/aecs.jpg

Changed to white pad and light breech: (please excuse the stupid photo shop)
    http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...orse-logo1.jpg

and then changed to white boots too: Usually I have the purple shirt on. SJ was in the way.
    http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/boomvets.jpg

Colors on a bay horse:
    http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...boom/vets1.jpg

I'm sooo drawn to that vest with the purple and light purple V. But I think that's just the little girl in me trying to break free.

Should I just stick with solid royal blue?
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I like the V pattern the best. But honestly it's an extra 30 bucks and you'll never see it under a pinny.

I like the purple on the grey horse. (Actually the horse is so great looking I'm not sure it even matters what color he's in!) One thing I would advise is pick one color then use the second only as an accent. Half blue half purple doesn't get it for me.

If it were me, I'd do a solid purple vest with a purple shirt, white pad, black boots with black tap then get a purple helmet cover. If you wanted to work in royal blue get a white pad with blue piping and purple trim and a little blue on a mostly purple helmet cover. I kinda think if would be more fun to lose the blue and to work a lighter purple in as your secondary color. A wee bit of light piping trim then dark trim then a light and (mostly) dark purple on a helmet cover would be great. Light shirt dark vest. If you tone down the boots and make them visually go away and keep the pad white it lets you play a little more without getting garish.

I can help you, but not with the colors. The main difference between the Elite and Elite Pro is that the Pro is made for women. I tried them both on at Rolex, and the Elite Pro is 10x more comfortable. The panels in the back are jointed, and it is made to accomodate a woman's bust (somewhat--still squashes you). It is super comfortable once you put it on. After a few minutes you forget you are wearing it. So go with the Pro--you won't regret it! I don't know if they do all those designs for the pro--you'll have to check with Rodney Powell. With shipping from the UK, mine came to $235, and that was when the pound was stronger.

I have a rodney powell pro vest, It gets some getting used to, but after it warms up to your body it conformes, I have a hot pink one, i mean it is bright, so make sure you want to have that color cause they come brighter than it looks on the computer. I wear a black shirt under it, decided that the pink vest was enough, didn't need to blind everyone.I can't wait till i ride a chesnut, clash, lol

I didnt know they had a Pro until I bought mine, halfway through this summer. I find mine gets more comfy every ride, but will never compare to a tipp, thats just life. I sometimes kick myself for not waiting a month and getting the Pro, but I ordered it straight from the company, sent them my measurements, they were aware of my femaleness, and I dont think I even specified which vest I wanted. Maybe I do have the Pro? I dont know.

I got plain black. Though part of me wanted the black with two white bands across the chest. Or the checkered one. But Im happy with the black. I have a chestnut and a bay, and I overdosed on red and blue as a kid (seriously, everything but my saddle and bridle was coordinated) and now prefer the sedate look. I have black boots and white pad, white bellboots, black helmet cover and beige breeches. I switch up my shirt in accordance with my mood. So, yeah, I like black/white with small accents of colour. I would love to use saratogas on my guy someday, just because the 4 white boots on the dark bay horse looks so awesome.

Thanks guys.

I should order an in stock vest and play with it before I buy mine.
    Though my mind is pretty well made up. Tipps are great but they don't compare to the Rodney's protection.

I had originally wanted and Airowear but I think the RPs are better then those as well, yes?
    Airowear is not certifided if I am correct.

As for colors.
    White saratogas with blue stripes stay.
    Black helmet cover with purple band stays.
    White pads are already embroidered so they stay.
    Breeches will always be light in color.

bascially my only color play is with shirt and vest.
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Ok then, I say blackvest with purple or royal V. I like that pattern. And Id personally go for the purple, but like I said, I ODed on royal/red so Im biased.

the airowear is BETA level III but it isn't ASTM certified...but Tipperry is ASTM certified but not BETA certifed...you are not allowed to ride in tipperaries in england...I would rather ride in a airowear vest...but of course I ended up with a rodney powell cause that is the one that i tried on....it works fine...I loved my tipp. but it was over 15 years old and a childrens vest lol...

You could spend a little more and get the EXO.

I was fitted at Rolex this year and the gentleman from RP said I did not want the Pro because I wasn't um...busty enough
    I am a B cup on a 5' 9" frame so unless you are built fairly curvy he felt the Pro wasn't the best fit.

I love mine and I agree with everyone who said the fit gets better with each wear.
    Can't help with the colour thing...my bay and I wear all black for xc.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Sisu, that must be why I like my Elite! Im 5'6'' and a B cup, though once Im strapped into my sportsbra Im more like a 10 year old boy cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthehorse View Post
    Sisu, that must be why I like my Elite! Im 5'6'' and a B cup, though once Im strapped into my sportsbra Im more like a 10 year old boy cup.
    Its not a bad thing as a horsewoman! My coach has giant boobs and she says it is a huge PITA!

How uncomfortable is it for you busty types to be crushed into a crash vest? The RP guy was firm about how bloody tight the thing had to be to be effective...must be murder!
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

I was actually wondering about that.

My Tipp has a nice busty curve...that remains empty. lol.

Where do you get the Exos?

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post

Where do you get the Exos?
    Bit of Britain

VTO Saddlery

Isnt the EXO like hella heavy?

HappyHacker99 Guest

Smile

I ride in the new Outlyne US vest; this is by Airowear and was worn by the US team at the Olympics!

Outlyne US is made for women with a bust and in my opinion is much softer than the RP Elite Pro......

Airowear is ASTM certified (this is the equivalent to BETA Level 2)

I just wanted to throw in my experience here. I'm a short, fat, busty little rider (when I saw little, I mean I'm not even 5'2"). I did a lot of research on what kind of vest to buy. I *really* wanted a purple one.

I looked at ordering a custom sized Tipperary was $300+. I also looked at the Airowear Reiver and Zippa style. But I was going to have to order those from somewhere in UK. I was afraid of the shipping costs, especially if I had to return it.

In the end, I ordered a Rodney Powell custom sized Elite Pro. Paul @ VTO was amazing. He recommended the Elite Pro because my bust measurement was 4 or more inches larger than my underbust measurement.

It came on Tuesday. It's beautiful. It's solid purple, but the Elite Pro has black on the sides, so it's really purple and black, though I did not order any special pattern.

It cost me $224.94 with shipping. I will say this, I was nervous, because I did my measurements 5 or 6 times and kept getting different measurements. Granted, I asked my friend and husband to help. Finally, my Mom (who has more tailoring experience than my BF and my hub) said "Let me do it!" So I sent in her measurements. Paul @ VTO said they would take it back and re-order if I didn't work out.

The vest (to me) is very comfortable. I've only ever worn my hugely tall friend's Airowear Heritage and that thing hurt! It's not as hot as I thought, but it wasn't 95 and baking on Tuesday. Tonight is my first lesson in it. I am so excited. It's rigid enough to feel safe, but flexible enough to be comfy. After one wear it's already my shape!

actually I ended up with the Airowear Outlyne.
    I ordered it from the UK and shipping and all it cost $180.00.

I feel that it is a little short in length for my torso but it is quite nice.
    Also, the Outlyne is made for women. I should have just gotten the original style (whatever that model may be).
    The girl room is flat but not flat enough.