The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Amerigo Saddles on TOTD

not sure if this is a good deal...but 1600 for brand new Amerigo Cervia models sounds it.

I was wondering this too.

I paid over $3000 for a new one a few years ago. That is an amazing deal.

However, a few words of caution: the twist is wide. I had no idea that this would be a problem for me and suffered from terrible hip pain for about a year. I got the new saddle at the same time I was in a car accident, so I naturally attributed the hip pain to the accident and not the saddle. I ended up switching trainers, and rode in the new trainer's saddle for a few weeks and coincidently noticed that my hip pain was gone! I sold the Amerigo on eBay the next week!

I do know people that love that saddle, and that is why I bought it in the first place. I had it on trial, and loved it the first few times I rode in it. But, definitely make sure that a wide twist is right for you!

Not a deal. Here's what I learned during my Amerigo saddle search. Before I say much, let me say that I now ride in an Amerigo CC that will be pried out of my cold dead hands, so in general, I adore Amerigo and recommend it. But NOT the Cervia.

The Cervia's have been sitting around in Amerigo's inventory for a long, long, looooong time. Here's some comments I've heard about them from saddle fitters, former Amerigo distributors who now work elsewhere, my state's current Amerigo rep, etc.:

"I made the mistake of ordering three Cervias a few years back for the store. They hardly fit ANY horses, especially not the warmbloods and Thoroughbreds that most of our clients have. A few clients bought them thinking that they did fit, but then a few months later they'd realize that it didn't. I will order you any saddle you want from the Amerigo warehouse except the Cervia, because if you don't buy it, it will sit in my inventory for years."

"The Cervia was originally designed for petite riders or smaller horses. That means it's got a slightly narrow seat base--if you have even a remotely big butt, your butt might hang off its edges and it won't be comfortable for you."

"The Cervia was such a bad seller for Amerigo that they eventually discontinued it, slashing its price to $1800 in their inventory direct sale. Even then, they couldn't get rid of all of them. The Cervia was replaced by the Amerigo Farouche, which had a panel shape that fit more horses than the Cervia's but was basically still the Cervia above the panels. The Farouche was a fine saddle and is still sold abroad, but here in the U.S. it was eclipsed by the DJ and CC--usually if a horse fits into the Farouche, he'll fit into either a DJ or CC since it's about halfway between the two, so you don't see the Farouche much in the US anymore."

If you want an Amerigo on a budget, they are cheap these days with the recession on the used market. Get yourself a DJ or a CC, whichever will fit your horse better, for a few hundred bucks more and live happily ever after.
    Last edited by jn4jenny; Jan. 28, 2011 at 09:26 AM.

Good info jn4jenny - thanks!

Thanks jn4jenny! I was considering having one of the reps send one out to me to try (P.S. the $1600 price isn't just on TOTD, all of the reps have them at that price), but I need a narrow twist and a wide seat.

Good information jn4jenny. Thanks for sharing!

I tried a Cervia a couple of years ago. Hated it!

Default I love mine

I got the jumping cervia last year on this $1600 closeout deal. I am 5'2". I find this twist extremely comfy for me. I did have to swap the medium tree saddle for a medium wide because it ran narrower than my medium Albion AP saddle. I take it between all of my horses since it is so extremely comfy for me. I use a Len Brown corrector pad under it to make it fit them all. I use it on 2 tbs and my daughter's paint. I would kill to be able to get this deal in the dressage saddle. I love this saddle. There is a dealer in Mass whom I asked to get me a 17" dressage one but all they had left was 16.5", which my butt would not fit. Does anyone have a line on the 17" dressage ones available anywhere for $1600? If your dealers don't want to get the Cervia at $1600 for you, perhaps it is that they want to make more money selling the pricier ones. I was told that these closeouts have a wooden tree and the new Amerigos have a synthetic one and that is the difference.

Default TOTD

What is TOTD? I would like to check this myself for what they may have available.

Quote Originally Posted by Renascence View Post
    I use it on 2 tbs and my daughter's paint. I would kill to be able to get this deal in the dressage saddle.
    My understanding is that the Cervia dressage does not suffer from the same design problems as the Cervia jumping, but I'm sure that somewhere in the world, there is one on sale.

If your dealers don't want to get the Cervia at $1600 for you, perhaps it is that they want to make more money selling the pricier ones.
    The decision at that point was between a $1600 Cervia and an $1800 Amerigo CC, and they actually advised me to try a $1500 used Amerigo CC from another saddlery entirely. Maybe YOUR local Amerigo merchants are hucksters, but mine are not.

I have the Cervia CC, and I love it. Fits me and my horse just fine, I've never had any problems with it.

Hi All.

I am looking at a new Amerigo Cervia dressage saddle. I stumbled across this post and it totally scared me.

Anyone have the Amerigo Cervia dressage saddle and have a good story with it? I am not sure if these cervia issues were fixed since 2007?

Thanks,
    Andrea

Tom's Thunder Guest

Default Amerigo Cervio Jumpin Saddle

I am looking at a used Amerigo jumping saddle on eBay and the flap says 17 N 2342123 C 1-1/2. I am wondering if this is a Cervia. The seller says it's a Close Contact. But my guess is that if that was the case, it would say CC rather than simply one C. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Renascence View Post
    What is TOTD? I would like to check this myself for what they may have available.
    http://tackoftheday.com

You sign up for their daily emails, and every day you get their special bargains for that day--usually two. Closeouts and overstocks from all over, sometimes fantastic, sometimes...eh. Always fun to look at!

Kim
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Soo a question... I know this is an old thread but people here seem to know their stuff!
    if the Farouche was lifting a hair in the back (even cwd fitter said it was "not bad" would the DJ be flatter and therefore what I would need ?