The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default An Attire Question, please....

I'm old school, I admit it, heck, I'm just old!

Anyway, yesterday I was looking at the portrait for a former MFH. I was surprized to see the stock pin painted vertically. I was always taught that the pin should be horizontal, if for no other reason than to prevent it from sticking you in the chin if it became unpinned. Is there a " new school" rule for stock pins? Am I really a dinosaur?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Reds-n-Greys; Dec. 3, 2008 at 11:03 AM.
    ** I LOVE PUIKA & SHELLA FAN CLUB*** member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Good job R&G!
    You may now add Horsesaver Extraordinaire to your resume

Vertical denotes professional staff. Ribbons down signifies professional (I noticed the new helmets come with ribbons down - I guess no one bothers to earn anything anymore. )

Not sure why a MFH would be a "professional" - maybe if the MFH was also a paid huntsman?

I purchased a Charles Owen helmet on eBay and when it arrived, I noticed that the ribbon points down. Any suggestion what to do about it? Leave it alone? By the way, I'm definitely Not professional... Gloria

I overheard some folks saying the same thing - is it all helmets or just the CO? I just have the skullcap with a nylon cover on it. (not for hunting - it's my regular helmet for daily riding)

I think they tacked them up with a glue of some sort. Like that craft glue that you use with a glue gun. But I'd experiment on a scrap of fabric before doing that to a new helmet!

I'm seeing a lot of weird stuff. Brown tops on boots, ribbons down, someone wanted to come hunting just so she could wear the "red coat like the Olympic team"... the world has gone mad.

Default Ribbons up

I took a needle and thread and just tacked a couple of stiches in my Chales Owen to put the ribbons up. I've heard of people using super glue or graft clue or just tucking them up. There are many ways you can do it.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Ah, thank you for the explanation. I doubt this person was professional, but now I at least know it was not yet artistic license!
    Good job R&G!

Actually, the vertical versus horizontal pin arguments have been going on for as long as I've been hunting, at least. I was taught- horizontal, period, whether amateur or professional.

If you have a helmet w/ribbons down, a bit of glue will do the trick I think.

If you wear a crash helmet, with a velvet silk, there aren't any ribbons to confuse the fashion police at all! May give them an attack of the vapours, though, so be wary.

For true sartorial perfection, however, nothing could possibly top these boots - patent tops, be d@mned!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RIDING-BOOTS-D...1%7C240%3A1318

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley View Post
    Actually, the vertical versus horizontal pin arguments have been going on for as long as I've been hunting, at least. I was taught- horizontal, period, whether amateur or professional.

If you have a helmet w/ribbons down, a bit of glue will do the trick I think.
    I place my stock pin at an angle - just to mess with people.

Quote Originally Posted by Romany View Post
    If you wear a crash helmet, with a velvet silk, there aren't any ribbons to confuse the fashion police at all! May give them an attack of the vapours, though, so be wary.

For true sartorial perfection, however, nothing could possibly top these boots - patent tops, be d@mned!

Oh good lord!

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post

Sooo, that makes you a semi-professional?
    Good job R&G!

They look like the Joker decided to have a pair of riding boots made. Ugh.

I can't quit looking at them, they are so bad. Way to ruin what could have been a very good pair of boots.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

[/url]
    Hey - a little warning would have been nice!! Those things are going to give me nightmares.

So what are these? I'm thinking a jumper/dressage/drag queen kind of theme.

My stock pin is usually on an angle because no matter how many times I try (and usually draw blood) I cannot get the damn thing straight. I generally spend about 10 minutes in front of the mirror trying to get it perfectly level (that will be my billion $ invention- a tiny little level to measure the perfect horizontalness of your stock pin)

Maybe instead of drag queen, those boots were meant for members of drag hunts with colors
    Last edited by Little Valkyrie; Dec. 4, 2008 at 03:51 PM. Reason: me no spell good
    It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.

Hey - a little warning would have been nice!! Those things are going to give me nightmares.

So what are these? I'm thinking a jumper/dressage/drag queen kind of theme.

I'm guessing they had some leftover scraps of patent, and a new apprentice who fancied himself a bit of an arteest with the sewing machine, and they all thought, well, why not - some sucker will buy them, for sure!

Along with the rules for professional v. amateur, there are also rules for those MFHs who hunt their own hounds versus having a Huntsman. That may have something to do with the relative verticality of the stock pin.

Thumbs down Whoa !!

Relative Verticality!!!???!!!!
    Apprentice Arteests?!!!!
    Perfect horizontalness!!!???
    Drag queens wearing boots??!!!

I think I'm going to faint!!

And I agree....we SHOULD have had some warning on this!!

So I gather you don't like them much, then, WG? (I do kinda like them myself, I have to admit!)

Thumbs up I'm still swooning....

You got it Romany! Mind you, WG would definitely wear hunt look-a-like boots out in the world with say...a nice wool skirt! But I'd probably avoid the patent leather because of the reflection issues....you remember reflection issues don't you?!!!
    Always the fashionista...I bear no grudges against hunt wannabe dressing! We've all been there....or are there....or will be there.....or want to be there more!! There's a lotta that here in the Wash. DC area ya know! Hunt Wannabe Dressing capitol of the world!!!

The best hunt wannabe I ever saw was a housing developer rep. I was with LHW and we were on a run across a farm we had hunted for years. All of a sudden this big SUV comes across the field with its horn blaring. The field stops and out steps a woman in tall black boots, white britches and a scarlet coat. She was the rep for the developer who had bought the farm. She told us we couldn't hunt across their land anymore. It would be disturbing to the people who might buy plots their.

Of course, they advertised the whole hunt country thing and used pictures of KHW on their web site.