The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Riding Sport International 5-IN-1 Jacket?

Who has one of these? Thoughts?

I'm contemplating buying myself one as an early Christmas present, but wondering if it is really any better for RIDING than something from L.L.Bean, etc.

TIA!
    *Absolut Equestrian*

"The plural of anecdote is not fact...except in the horse industry"

Anybody?
    *Absolut Equestrian*

"The plural of anecdote is not fact...except in the horse industry"

I have one. It has many features and benefits. I like the zipper on the sleeves of the outer shell, and usually leave them unzipped.

It has two annoying characteristics, as far as I'm concerned: The wrists of the inside jacket are too tight, and they are not well-connected to the outside shell. This is OK as long as you leave the jacket on, but a problem if you want to pull it off, especially if you're wearing gloves.

Well, three. It's a little noisy.

We aren't into really warm coat weather yet, but I'll probably just ride in my Carhartt. It doesn't look as nice, but it's warm and and I can get it off quickly and easily with just a shrug if I want to.

I've been wondering about these too.

Do people really use all the different variations? I don't see myself using them... it's either coat or no coat. Maybe a vest.
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not what a ship is for."

Quote Originally Posted by Minuet View Post
    I've been wondering about these too.

Do people really use all the different variations? I don't see myself using them... it's either coat or no coat. Maybe a vest.
    I use coat lined and unlined, not the vest part. It zips into the coat and is a couple inches or so smaller than the coat. Hard to explain. I thought the vest would be the same circumference as the coat, but it isn't. I'm very short-waisted, so the bottom of the vest is around my hips, which are too ... ahem ... too. Well, you get the picture.

If I were more ... willowy ... the coat would probably be perfect. But I bought it and I've kept it. It's a riding coat that doesn't go riding very often.

I ordered one, and immediately sent it back as it was waaaaay too much coat for where I live. I also got this one and kept it, because it's just about perfect for our coldest days. http://www.doversaddlery.com/riding-...40183/cn/3000/ (I wish they had the brown one when I got mine, I love it!) It's lined and quilted and thicker than it looks.

The coat seemed a little strange to me. The outer layer seemed a little too big, but when I unzipped the vest and wore it alone, it was a little too small. I did like the vest, even though it was kind of snug, but I couldn't see keeping it just to use the vest and not the rest of it. It seemed kind of heavy too.

Thumbs up I've got one,

Had it for 2 years now and it has held up great. I usually wear mine with just the vest and the outside shell because I don't like bulk around my elbows but I haven't had any problems taking it apart and zipping it back together when needed. There's no shortage of pockets for my cell phone, treats, car keys and lesson money.

I love that the vest is cut long in the back so I don't get a draft at the waist of my breeches. You should be warned that the sizing does run a bit large. I'm a size 8 on top and had to return the medium I ordered for a small because it looked huge on me.

I will agree that the shell is a bit "swishy" sounding but compared to my other coats horse hair doesn't stick to it as easily.

The shell has kept me surprisingly dry in the rain and the hood is roomy enough to fit over my helmet. There's even "pit zips" so you can use the shell as a windbreaker and not over heat.

I've been really happy with it and you'd be surprised how nice it is to have the option of taking it apart and only wearing what you need. I would suggest looking at the Dover sale catalog because they do run them cheaper than $150 from time to time.

I use mine all the time. With lining zipped in it's pretty warm. I tend to just throw on the liner, then the shell so if I want to change configurations while riding, it's easier. The shell is fairly warm if you zip/snap it up and zip the fresh air vents up. It's got a drawstring band at the waist so it's good for lessons. (Instructor can make out the shape of the body.)

Right now my sleeves are off the liner, making it a vest which I prefer for riding indoors.

Only issue is that the liner itself cannot be closed up when worn along. The way it's made to zip in it will only zip to the shell. Also, it zips in at such a place that the liner jacket seems a bit too small when worn alone. I couldn't get it to close aorud me even if I did zip.
    (By comparison, I have a Land's End jacket with a similar design but the liner alone zips up as a jacket. )

I've washed my alot and it's held it's color (maroon) well.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

I have one that I got a couple of years ago. It has held up well. I have used the shell(outer portion) alone as well as the coat with liner. I have used the inner quilted liner coat as well. I agree with one of the other posters, the inside coat is smaller in circumference. I guess so you don't have it bunching up when it is zipped into liner. The only thing I haven't done is unzip liner sleeves to use as vest. May I make a suggestion. When I purchased mine I got it with money I received for Christmas. A few weeks into the new year, I got my Dover Sale catalog and the price was greatly reduced. So if you feel like you can hold out you should get a better price. I like mine so well, I am considering getting another in a different color. Here is a picture from a couple of weeks ago when I went to a club riding activity. It was cold and windy and I was sure enjoying my coat as well as my fleece breeches and and fleece ear warmer. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3006/...080b32915e.jpg
    Last edited by Simbalism; Dec. 5, 2008 at 01:06 AM. Reason: adding photo link

Default I have one

All I asked for a Xmas or two ago was a big waterproof outershell. My parents (always go overboard) got me this.

I like it very much.

I have so many vests and layers to wear under it, I only wear it 2 ways: Either wear just the outershell alone or the liner zipped into the shell (when standing giving a lesson). I also like that the hood zips into the collar. I hate flopping hoods when riding!

It is a WARM coat with the inner coat & sleeves zipped in.

I have the green, but I must have gotten it before they changed the colors- my green jacket isn't as bold.

Linny, Maybe there is something wrong with your liner? Mine zips up to use alone.

Problems with this jacket.

#1; It shrinks
    #2; the snaps are flimsy and you'll pull the grommets out before the snap releases
    #3; the zipper on the inner shell craps out (plastic)
    #4; as others mentioned, cuff elastic is too tight
    #5; shell is *not* waterproof, at least not after a short period of time (ie; one season)

Good thing is the vest is very handy. I, too thought I'd never dismantle it and wear the pieces, but I did and still do. Well, that's all I do now. I've lost the zip off sleeves.

But the good news is those were the part that shrank the worst!!