The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I AM a PNHr.... well sort of, I use what I like and throw out the rest. there is some good stuff there...... anyway, im L2 certified.... and even IM embarrassed

their "pavers program" made me mad....

NOW their "certified farrier" GAGH! what the heck!?!?!?!?!?!?

NOW THIS....

Im sorry y'all

the more they do this crap, the less value my L2 certification is.. and I worked VERY HARD taking the tests and such!!!!! grr

Perhaps if Pat had just stayed "PAT" he would have been more respected. PNH (the company) is becomming SUCH an embarrassment, weirdos...

Pat alone.. is/was a VERY good trainer....

trust me, its hard to take.. especially for those of us PNHrs who DONT drink the kool-aid.
    Last edited by Jumpin_Horses; Dec. 3, 2008 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkInTheWoods View Post
    You better recheck your math.

24 month module: $50,000 per year for two years.

So it does add up to $121,500 divided by 45 months = $2700 per month

Stand corrected.

$2700 per month aprox $675 per week less then half the cost that another charges, $1500 per week.

You don't have to take the two year part to obtain a position with Parelli or become a certified trainer.

For that amount I could go back to school and start a new BS in Equine Science. That's only $2700 a SEMESTER for me in NY at a state school.

I stand by philosophy...real horsemanship is learned one muck bucket at a time.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

When I was a kid in the UK (lived there a year), there was a cheap rental stable we frequented. It was staffed with dozens of young girls who mucked, fed, etc. I asked my friend how much you got paid to work there. No, she said. You have to pay HIM to work there!!!! There was no shortage of horseless girls who paid for the privilege of being around horses!

Quote Originally Posted by hoofrx1 View Post
    I particularly liked this quote: "The higher the course, the closer you get to Linda and Pat Parelli and to top corporate management."
    Rick,
    That quote just plain scared me. Gave me the willies.
    I am all for being flexible in my thinking with horses....but if that doesn't sound like a cult, nothing does. I would say that if I read that comment ANYWHERE about ANYTHING.
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

The statement about being closer to Pat and Linda is what really did me in. I am now fully convinced that they are full blown crazy with God complexes to boot. I just cannot fathom the egomania of the two of them.

And for what it is worth, I used to dabble in PNH. Never tested any of the levels as I thought that was pretty lame, but some of the ground exercises were useful for myself and my horse. It was MUCH less commercial and kind of useful back then.

Quote Originally Posted by ddashaq View Post
    You know, I bet those do fill up. Most of the Parellibots I have known have been wealthy older women who can drop a chunk of change like that without a second though. Completely insane.
    I need to start something like this then. WTF. Seriously and why would this older women want to know how to break unruly broncs. Take 75,000 and buy and nice amateur horse and spend the other 25,000 showing it for a while... $100,000 that's robbery!

Quote Originally Posted by tkhawk View Post
    100g to advance in a career that you can't leave? It is not like you put it to get a law degree or medical degree and can move out once you put the years in. I don't know-just a little too much money -and in their application, it says in the higher levels you get to be closest to Pat and Linda Parelli- now that is scary !
    I feel the same, I mean I have had horses all my life and have only "heard" of this training. Where are you going to go, and work and recoupe this money when there are folks leaving their horses to fend in the wild. Who is going to pay you to do this, especially if it isn't riding, I mean come on. At least a lawyer or doctor has potential to make $500,000 years out, I am not seeing that here or maybe I am missing the big picture.

I love how the application asks what Parelli equipment you own

I decided over lunch that it is plainly preposterous to pay for the privilege of peeling piles of potatos for Pat Parelli.

try saying THAT three times fast!

What I find annoying is that people equate the likes of Tom Dorrance and Ray Hunt, etc.
    who do their form of horse training - do I dare call it Natural Horsemanship - with the
    Parelli system.

I fully admit that I have learned a lot form these older guys. The round pen was a departure from how I was raised. They never claim it is new or they invented it, they are humble and willing to share and help. They don't trademark their expressions.

Puke.

Almost makes me feel sorry for the "Parelli Ambassadors"...almost...

Quote Originally Posted by Mach Two View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me that someone as dumb...yep...I said dumb...as Parelli can manage to get people to promote him. There is always some woman....currently Linda...who has some marketing wherewithall, who can seemingly sell anything. Yep I said that too.
    I knew Parelli back in 1975-76 when that idiot could not lope a circle without screwing it up, and we all thought he was lucky someone had not killed him yet then. Once when I was judging a show back in the early 80s I had to have the management take him out of the warmup because he was a danger to the kids and horses who were trying to get ready to show. He'd show up at cutting shows in the warmup...not showing...just causing a ruckous in the warmup by riding some ill broke horse and ponying another, going the opposite way everyone else who was showing was trying to lope at the moment.
    He has duped people his whole life, run out on debts and left people holding the considerably empty bag. When will people learn? The only people dumber than that dude are the folks who fall for his shiester ways.
    How appalling.
    "Riding a horse doesn't make you a Horseman. Many non-horsemen ride, many real horsemen do not ride. To be a Horseman, you must prove yourself of value to the horse."

Well, be careful. There are those that do not equate horse care with horsemanship. It's all (and only) about riding...

Quote Originally Posted by equineartworks View Post
    I'm sorry but I am insisting that my DD learn horsemanship the real way...one muck bucket at a time.
    "Riding a horse doesn't make you a Horseman. Many non-horsemen ride, many real horsemen do not ride. To be a Horseman, you must prove yourself of value to the horse."

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Horses View Post
    I AM a PNHr.... well sort of, I use what I like and throw out the rest. there is some good stuff there...... anyway, im L2 certified.... and even IM embarrassed

their "pavers program" made me mad....

NOW their "certified farrier" GAGH! what the heck!?!?!?!?!?!?

NOW THIS....

Im sorry y'all

the more they do this crap, the less value my L2 certification is.. and I worked VERY HARD taking the tests and such!!!!! grr

Perhaps if Pat had just stayed "PAT" he would have been more respected. PNH (the company) is becomming SUCH an embarrassment, weirdos...

Pat alone.. is/was a VERY good trainer....

trust me, its hard to take.. especially for those of us PNHrs who DONT drink the kool-aid.
    Don't be sorry - it is not your fault. I also agree that there's some good stuff there and I like using some of it too, but then, it seems to lose its real mission - to make a long lasting difference for as many horses and thier owners without taking them to the cleaners and passing on the legacy to the next generation in an affordable way.

What is the pavers program?

Some years back, our local horse publication decided to print articles having to do with Parelli and his methods. In one such article, he was photographed, sitting on the ground, cross-legged, lunging a horse.

Needless to say, I did not see any ounce of intelligence of any kind. So, figuring this was something I didn't want my kid (or anybody else's kid) to think was a good thing, I penned Mr. Parelli a strongly worded letter concerning such a dangerous "thought process". I was informed that they should have identified this as something you shouldn't try until you became more qualified.

I wrote back and replied, I was certain that the more you learned about horses the more obvious it would become that sitting on the ground, lunging a horse was not something anybody should do .... ever.

The next month, there were two horses being lunged, in the same round pen, at the same time, while the two handlers sat on 50 gallon drums.... needless to say, my next communication was to confirm that I now realized that their patrons must have some sort of disabilities, if he seems to need to make everything a sitting down occasion.

If this man is marketing for the backyard people, he is doing so hoping that they won't realize what he is ...

the "pavers program" was like a fundraising thingy, to build his new offices

he would sell you a brick that would be used in his new offices, for like $1000 dollars and you would have your name engraved on that brick.. of course, I would never fall for a idiot gimmick like that - DUH!!!... BUT SOME DID!

that darn thing made me cry....

that theme is usually reserved as a fund-raising for a cause, like starving children, or saving the whales or something.. and this guy is using it to BUILD HIS OFFICES! I was HORRIFIED..... why could he not see how demeaning this was to him?

Ive had horses most of my life, my grandfather was a big time trainer/farrier etc... I grew up with horses. I know about horses. I was a pretty good trainer before PNH, and Im still pretty good after PNH - If I do say so myself.. he he.

Im not an idiot when it comes to horses. I have my ways too, (my grandfather was my greatest teacher next to the horse) but, Im never above learning new things. Parelli was a great way to expand my knowledge... and it did....

but, now im just plain embarrassed. why couldnt he just keep his feet on the ground? he just keeps getting weirder, and weirder.

how am I supposed to be proud of my L2 certification? HOW? I worked very hard for it.

I get the feeling im not the only PNHr who is embarrassed... perhaps Im the only one who will admit it.....

so please dont call ALL PNHrs stupid... we are not.. and some of us are just as horrified with the direction PNH has gone in, as you non-PNHrs..

"80% is learned on the workforce involving facility maintenance, ranch work, food service, administration, check-in and check-out of students, course logistics assistant, etc."

"60% is an internship on the workforce involving natural horse care, stock management, and faculty assistant."

"Students who excel as a protégé have strong Parelli career opportunities such as Senior Faculty, Assistant Trainer to Pat Parelli, Parelli Center Foreman, 4 or 5-Star Parelli Professional, or a corporate position with management options or international placement."

Umm, let me see if I got this straight. They expect someone to pay them for the privledge of working for them? Yeah, right.

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Quote Originally Posted by midkniggit View Post
    I love how the application asks what Parelli equipment you own
    Like the Parelli's, Big Cojones

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    If he was a true horseman- he'd be earning a living, not raping the willing.
    Not that I disagree with the intent of the sentiment, but can one truly rape the willing?

Umm, let me see if I got this straight. They expect someone to pay them for the privledge of working for them? Yeah, right.
    So is it ok to pay a few hundred dollars to go to a clinic on the weekend or a couple days, with a noted "fill in the blank" rider, trainer, etc?

So it's ok to spent hundreds or thousands of dollars on a piece of equipment, saddle etc. Or how about those special boots or breeches?

How about the frozen semen that people will pay tens of thousands for to have a horse from a particular stallion?

Maybe spend more money then you should to get that "special" horse, that will jump higher or run faster.

How anyone wants to spend or waste their money, is their business. So what if someone wants to spent their money to pursue a career with a trainer they happen to believe in. I am not going to do it, but if I had the money why not? It's my money or it's their money.
    "Have a Coke and a Smile"