The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

VOMIT

Also remember...it is an APPLICATION...you may be willing to pay $100,000 and still not get accepted

again, VOMIT

A friend who is very poor and can't really afford it spent $10K getting Parrelli certified. She was a good horsewoman before she started giving him money. Last summer, she was telling me that after the last session, she had an epiphany. She already knew all his stuff, only she used different terms and techniques to achieve the same things. I gave her a big hug and said 'thank God you figured that out!'.

If one wraps common sense up in a fancy package, some people will see it as revolutionary. I've had this discussion with other clinicians teaching various aspects of horsekeeping. We are amazed that teaching common sense is so popular these days. The smart/ rich ones encourage the 'revolutionary' aspect of their spiel, while us dumb/poor ones admit our campaigns just point out what is already known, but was overlooked in a quest to make things new, dramatic and complicated.
    Katy

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Quote Originally Posted by JLR1 View Post
    I thought I had seen it all....now for a mere $100,000 you can wipe Pat's ass for 2 years!
    Actually, its more like $121,500.00+ because first you have to get through all the other 'layers' and that doesn't include having to be a Level 2 to start with. LOL

I particularly liked this quote: "The higher the course, the closer you get to Linda and Pat Parelli and to top corporate management."

I wonder if, like on the Titanic, you hear the strains of "Nearer my God to Thee" as you founder on rocky financial shoals.
    Last edited by Rick Burten; Dec. 3, 2008 at 06:40 PM.

100g to advance in a career that you can't leave? It is not like you put it to get a law degree or medical degree and can move out once you put the years in. I don't know-just a little too much money -and in their application, it says in the higher levels you get to be closest to Pat and Linda Parelli- now that is scary !

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

It is my understanding that their 'top management' is the firm of Dewey,Cheatem, and Howe.

Just outrageous, really. I rode in a Ray Hunt clinic about 8-9 years ago and three full days was 400 bucks, I think? 20 riders. we started late every morning b/c the auditors and riders were crowded around his golf cart, where he just kept saying over and over again, guys, this stuff is free. It's out there in the air. There's nothing I can give you, it's just there.'

His 'carrot stick' was an old retractable a car antennae with some sorta handle half way duct-taped to it. strip of plastic bag on the end.

My friend and I that rode in the clinic, went and had lunch with him, his wife, the hostess, and just 1-2 other gals in the clinic. No extra charge, either.

A local girl whose horse wouldn't load Sunday AM to come to the clinic...approached Ray and said I'm sorry I can't ride today I can't get my horse here. Without a MOMENT's pause he said where's your truck let's go get him. Another girl sent her groom along to help LOL ( I don't live in the land of grooms but it was very sweet of her to do this)...he didn't ask the other participants if they minded- he just did what he thought needed done. They were back shortly with the horse...and later we used him as part of a trailer loading piece of instruction.

for 400 bucks. With Ray.

Go figure.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

Actual cost of the Apprenticeship Program is $71,500 for 45 months. With misc cost it's probably higher. Unmentioned in this that Parelli often offers scholarships that show real promise. This is more then just an Apprenticeship Program, it also appear to be a new path for those wishing to be a Parelli Certified Trainer.

It also says that after the 6 month program, the following:"Students who excel have strong international Parelli career opportunities such as Faculty, 3-Star Instructor, corporate position – ranch or corporate headquarters (admin,sales, marketing, IT, media, graphics, product development, etc.)"

While this is controversial, because of the costs, it does keep those out that really aren't dedicated to Parelli's program. Only a few will go through the whole program. Most will probably pick a level they wish to advance to.

Charging is nothing new.

http://www.johnlyons.com/certification_program.php#gi

After 12 weeks you become a "certified trainer" and can hang out your shingle.

The Certification Program consists of twelve weeks.

Three weeks per session. (Each week runs Monday through Friday)
    Josh Lyons (John's son) will be the instructor.
    Upon graduating, participants will become John & Josh Lyons Certified. Participants will bring the same two horses for the entire program.
    No one under 19 years of age accepted.
    Participants limited to 15 students per program.
    Each week is $1,500.
    Total cost of educational program is $18,000.
    Traveling expenses, lodging, food, etc. are your responsibility.
    Portable box stalls will be provided. Stall fees are $10 per day/per stall.
    The Certification Program will be held in Parachute, Colorado. Parachute is located off of I-70. The Ranch is located between Glenwood Springs, CO and Grand Junction, CO, about 45 miles east of Grand Junction.
    Lodging and Feed Store information will be provided

Parelli program at $71,500 over 45 months = approx $1600 a month. Plus it incudes you bringing one horse with you.
    Last edited by 7HL; Dec. 3, 2008 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Watts View Post
    If one wraps common sense up in a fancy package, some people will see it as revolutionary.
    Well said....and those who haven't got any are given the false hope that they can somehow purchase it.

His reasoning is that the guys he learned from and apprenticed with, Ray Hunt and the Dorrances, always had an attitude that horsemanship shouldn't be something you buy--everyone who wants to learn should have an opportunity to learn, and it's the responsibility of every horseman to help other horsemen
    So true, although I don't mind if someone makes some money with it, but $100,000 is way over the top.

7HL here is one of the problems. I have seen L4 students (working at L5-6 whatever THAT means) and the horses have NO topline. NONE. They are so poorly muscled.

So for $100,000 you STILL have to go somewhere to learn how to correctly muscle a horse.

I guess what throws me too is that this is called an apprenticeship. In Germany, when you enter an apprenticeship to learn a skill, the apprentice is actually paid by the business because they actually work for the business, while going to school about 2 times a week for the theoretical knowledge. The training lastst about 3 years, At the end they receive a Bachelor's degree after passing some final tests.

Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post
    7HL here is one of the problems. I have seen L4 students (working at L5-6 whatever THAT means) and the horses have NO topline. NONE. They are so poorly muscled.

So for $100,000 you STILL have to go somewhere to learn how to correctly muscle a horse.
    Agreed!

Parelli for the most part, as well as many other clinicians has stayed away from working on conformation, care etc. Maybe because they are speaking to the backyard owner with an older, rescued grade horse. Many clincians are speaking to the masses, the average everyday horse owner. The problems usually result when the base gets educated and wants more. There is a diversity in their audience and the message can't be the same for all parties.

I agree my first take on the price was, it was excessive. I do know the constant question at Tour stops by many is how can I get a job with Parelli. I do believe there will be scholarships for the truly tallented. There has to be some screening or filtering of the candidates. When you look at the costs (see my previous post) it's about $1600 per month. Far less then another trainer, JL, charges for his, based on a monthly/weekly cost. I happen to feel that you'ld get more out of Parelli's program then others. As I stated in prior post, it is possible to go to work for Parelli or become a certified trainer after the 6 month course.

You can't make everyone happy, but I am sure that there will be some that sign up for the program.

You can get a BS from the UMASS - Amherst for less than this program costs.

I just don't get it.

I do believe there will be scholarships for the truly tallented.

Why? I see nothing in the paperwork where one can apply for a scholarship.

If he was a true horseman- he'd be earning a living, not raping the willing.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

Quote Originally Posted by 7HL View Post
    Actual cost of the Apprenticeship Program is $71,500 for 45 months.......
    Parelli program at $71,500 over 45 months = approx $1600 a month. Plus it incudes you bringing one horse with you.
    You better recheck your math.

24 month module: $50,000 per year for two years.

So it does add up to $121,500 divided by 45 months = $2700 per month

Only the externs can bring their own horse (for the first 3 months). The rest of the program you get to "play" with their horses, but pay board on your own. Wonder what that cost is.

"In order to apply for the Parelli Apprentice Program you must at minimum:
    • Be a Savvy Club Member for one year or more.
    • Have completed two weeks or more of courses at a Parelli Center.
    • Be an Official Level 2 Graduate."

What does all the above cost ? That would have to be factored in to the overall cost to kiss some Parelli butt.

Can I play?? For 1/2 of that I'd be happy to teach someone to do MY job...and they can do my laundry and housework too. Who wants to be an apprentice software tester, for just a small fee (comparatively speaking)?

Maybe it was the wording, but they tout that once you get to the top level, then you are closest to Pat and Linda Parelli-like that would be some blessed event?
    I am in the wrong business-since I am of Indian origin, insteading of coming here to do my masters and then work and then build it up, I should have just come in as a Guru and charge people 100 bucks for the thrilling spiritual experience of touching my feet. if you don't feel any divine experience, then you are not ready and need to stay and work with me and pay me 1000 dollars a month until you feel enlightenment

Namaste, tkhawk

YUP Kool-Aid......