The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you haul with a Toyota Tundra?

Since my F150 died an untimely death (totalled), I need to replace it.

I test drove a Toyota Tundra 4 door (not the crew-max) last night. It's a nice truck.
    The 4.7L with 4x4 hauls a maximum of 7500.00 lbs. I'm thinking that would be fine for an aluminum trailer with only one horse in it.

I prefer the 4.7 over the 5.7 because I'll be driving it daily and I figure it's a little better on gas.

How do you guys like your Tundras?
    "Friend of Bar.ka"

Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

We were considering a Tundra...until we went to Ford's website. There are videos there of the major trucks performing on a test track. The back end/bed of the Tundra was frighteningly unstable.

I have the Toyota Hilux which is the Tundra's little sister.

It tows very well, gets good milage (for a truck) and I really like it. It's one of the bigger trucks over here and I wouldn't change it.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

We have a Tundra and haul two horses in a slant trailer. it tows like a dream and I love it! It is the 4 door but now the big cab. It is good on gas and it rides like a car rather than a truck...

It depends on what year Tundra you're talking about. My DF worked as a Mechanic for Toyota for several years (until laid off recently). The newer Tundras can pull a two horse with no issues. The older ones...they COULD do it, but I wouldn't.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

I had a 2007 4-door 5.7 with a long bed and it pulled JUST FINE!! I was hauling a 17 hand mare and a 17.2 hand mare in an extra tall bumper-pull 2-horse Hawk with a dressing room. No problems at all. I got about 17-18 miles per gallon. I had a brake controller installed as well. Did not use the distribution hitch, just a regular hitch.

I loooooooved that truck!!
    Last edited by Nix; Dec. 2, 2008 at 05:55 PM. Reason: forgot to add something

Thanks for the info guys. I'm looking at a 2008 model.
    "Friend of Bar.ka"

Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

We have a 2002 Tundra and have hauled our 2 horses in the 2 horse trailer from Texas to Michigan and back (and all over MI to horse shows). It hauled really well, stopped well, and did well. We really love this truck.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

I have a 2001 Tundra. I LOVE it. Drives great and is very comfortable. Feels more like a car than a truck. The most striking difference I notice when in American trucks? They are so noisy and feel like they vibrate and rattle a lot. The tundra is very cushy, very smooth and very quiet. I pull a 4 star 2 horse slant with dressing room. I have plenty of power, plenty of stop and it's very stable in bad weather/wet roads. I would love a 2008 but the best thing about my 2001 is it's paid for
    Margaret/Maple Shade Farm
    www.mapleshadefarm.net

Sparky Boy - do a search here on COTH, I seem to remember a lengthy thread about the newly designed 2007 Tundras when they came out. It pushed me into buying mine.

Default I use an '05

best truck I've ever owned.

If I had to get a new truck tomorrow, I'ld run out and get another one in a heartbeat. It hauls like a dream, and I've used mine commercially. Lots of miles, lots of different sized, weights of horses. Its NEVER given me a bit of trouble.

I'ld LOVE to get an '08, though. I can't justify it, the one I have is perfect so far.
    LESS HARD WORK, MORE FINE DINING!™
    complicate, obfuscate, prevaricate.

I got a 2008 Double Cab 5.7L Tundra at the end of May to replace my dying GMC2500. LOVE THIS TRUCK! I haven't got around to putting the hitch in the bed for the pop up ball yet, but have towed bumper pull loads with it and the truck didn't even flinch. Mileage wasn't great that day (towing a heavy load on a trailer that didn't have brakes) but was still almost 13mpg. I thought that was pretty good since the truck was doing all of the work to stop the trailer and its load as well.

I have finally gotten over the guilt of owning such a nice truck and enjoy driving it immensely. I haul pallets for work frequently and the truck does just fine. It does not like having over 1500lbs in the bed, but will handle 2000 ok. 2700 was too much and thankfully it was a short drive at 40mph.

I will be hauling an aluminum Eby 3h gooseneck in the spring with it and I'm sure the truck will do just fine. Mine's rated to tow 10,000 lbs same as my GMC was, but it gets up and goes quicker and stops sooner. I'm sure the horses will appreciate the smoother ride. My hubby appreciates that when I HAVE to stop the truck will stop. It also drives like a sportscar if you are so inclined. I try to drive mine like a granny to maximize MPG and stay around 17mpg on back roads and 18 on highway trips. It is nice to have the power when you need it though.

Hope that helps.
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here." ~ Desiderata by Max Ehrmann

Does anyone have the 4.7L V8?
    "Friend of Bar.ka"

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky Boy View Post

I prefer the 4.7 over the 5.7 because I'll be driving it daily and I figure it's a little better on gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky Boy View Post
    Does anyone have the 4.7L V8?

Most of the time the smaller engine in a pickup will get worse mpg, it has to work harder to pull the truck. If I read Toyota's website correctly the 4.7 is rated one less mpg on the highway and the same in the city as the 5.7, so the 5.7 should technically save fuel in the long run.

I would go with the 5.7 if I were you.
    Disclaimer;
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
    Not in the 42% or the 96%

We are looking into buying one......

We have 2 friends that both have them and use them for towing atv trailers )one had a 3 spot and the other is a huge 6 spot trailer).

They come already wired for the brake controllers and a heavy duty tow package. They have more towing capacity then Ford and get better gas mileage. They both have the 5.7L engines. One friend also has a 2006 Dodge Ram for work and he hates it compared to his Tundra.

We got a Tundra this spring and it's been great so far! Our old Chevy was literally coming apart at the seams so I think anything would seem a vast improvement but the Tundra really has been a great truck for me so far. It hauled me, my Papa, my pony, and all of my crap from Massachusetts from California without complaint so it passed the test for me.

1 members found this post helpful.

Another excellent report on a Tundra. We live in the PNW and consistently haul two horses over the mountain passes, and the truck has no problems.

I was also immensely impressed the time we were nearly stuck hauling in the snow -- the snow started falling in the middle of a jumping lesson with my excellent and very beloved hunter and we still needed to haul home (30 miles) over hilly terrain. As this was early in the season (Thanksgiving) and on an island (hence few plows) the road was quite treacherous. All 30 miles were spent nail biting and wondering what in the world we were thinking leaving the barn and risking our necks in this deathtrap. But the amazing truck pulled beloved Roy and his worried owners home, passing cars in ditches, impassably steep hills and idiot people wandering in the middle of the highway (did I mention that this much snow was unusual?).

All in all - excellent truck. Withstands the needs of a farm (hauling and pulling tons of stuff) and is exceedingly comfortable for people and puppies.

1 members found this post helpful.

I've decided on the 5.7L V8. I'm told that because of the 6 spd transmission, it can get better mileage than the 4.7 on the highway.

Thanks for the input.
    "Friend of Bar.ka"

Thumbs up You won't regret it

I've had mine since January. It's the 2008 Double Cab 5.7L Shortbox, the color is 'something' pyrite. Every day I give it a good morning kiss. Does that tell you how much I love this truck?

Good to hear! I was initially thinking I'd replace my dead truck with another F150 supercrew but I was so impressed with the Tundra. I picked the Timberland Mica. Green is my favorite color.
    Yours is Pyrite Mica. If I could have seen one in person, I might have picked that one.
    "Friend of Bar.ka"