The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Exclamation WINTER folks: Socks. Riding & Chores. DISCUSS.

Please.

What kind? Where do you get? Cost?

I don't mind paying a *little* bit more if they are AWESOME, but I really can't spend $15+ on one pair.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Boy , I have yet to find the perfect sock - I do love the Hot sock toe warmers though - great deal at Costco box of 30 pairs for less than 15.00 . I have tried Smart wool - double socks,etc. to no avail . My feet are cold all year long - I wear socks to sleep in the summer !
    Moving South would seem to be a great cure !!

I love SmartWool socks. They are totally worth the outrageous $15 a pair. I try to buy them discounted... for example, REI gives you a discount if you buy at least three pairs at a time.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

My momma makes my socks for me. They are knitted out of SmartWool and my feet are never cold.

COTHers recommended Thorlo socks to me four years ago: http://www.thorlo.com/ski-socks.php

Have 3 pair and would have toe-sickles were it not for them. Once you've had frostbite, you'd kill for warm socks.

Oh and buy boots in Wide so your feet ain't squished.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Smart wool! I have lots of the ski socks and they're very warm.

REI outlet has some on sale right now for about $8.00 and they're normally $18-20 a pair.
    https://www.facebook.com/HunterHillFarmIowa

Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

I seem to be able to find Fox River socks (very warm, not too thick) at Winners all the time.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Smartwool, but it's all a question of where and when you get them.

I picked up dozens of pairs of them years ago at an LL Bean outlet. They were irregulars for $8 a pair. Four years later, all of the socks are still in daily service. I wash them in PePeDe and lay them flat to dry.

Sierra Trading Post and REI Outlet are my favorite places to get washable wool socks. A few weeks ago, I scored 8 pairs of Life Is Good washable no-itch merino wool socks for $4.93 per pair including shipping. So it can be done, but you have to shop very carefully.

check out TJ Maxx and Marshalls, both places this Fall have had smartwool's, thorlo's, fox river, and some other brands of ski/snow boarding socks. And I agree with the poster that said, make sure your boots are wide or a 1/2 size larger than you would normally wear - it helps to be able to wiggle your toes.

Chocomare: I had a mild frostbite a couple years ago, and have never been the same since. The weird thing is it's warmish days--like mid-30's where I seem to get into trouble. I guess because I'm out doing more, longer, and probably my feet sweat... And of course the *air* might be above freezing, but the ground is still below...

Is BEAUTIFUL today, 40's, but I'm in warming up because was just starting to get too cold in the feets. Smartwool (one, thinnish pair) under muck boots that aren't muck-boot brand but the other one. Boots are big enough... but the cold soaked through after about 90 minutes.

As soon as the circulation is back, I'm going to ride bareback. Himself is CAKED in cement mud, so not going to stress over that. Just going to brush off a place for me to sit, and enjoy. The sun's going down now--so it'll be warmer that way anyway.

Ok, went to the Thorlo site posted above, and have to crack up... they have a section for Law Enforcement. And they have "tactical" socks.

Really.

What makes a sock tactical? And would a tactical sock give me more tact for dressage???

I just love that kind of thing... Methinks most of us popo are FAR too poor to buy TACTICAL socks. I get the 6 pack of black crew socks myself. Then I can loose like, ten of them before I have to buy more... and I never have to 'match' them. If they're black, they pair up.

I normally just wear a very thin pair of ankle socks under a pair of worksocks. This year I invested in a pair of winter paddock boots(Ariat). My feet now sweat when I'm riding
    Pintopiaffe...I do the same thing with my husband. Buy umpteen pairs of black socks, then the dryer monster can eat all it wants for a while. Hubby would be the laughing stock at work if he showed up in "tactical" socks
    *PPP Member*
    "Official" Couch Critic

My regular (year round) riding boots (Equitector) are insulated and I can wear them with a thinnish wool sock and my feet don't get cold as long as I am moving around. Mind you, I'm not standing in water. I'm also not prone to cold feet unless I'm sitting in the passenger side of the car or standing around and not moving.

I do love SmartWools: the big, thick red hiking ones. I wear them winter and summer for my bunions and I have a lot of pairs so I can mix and match. I buy them whenever I see them on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post
    Ok, went to the Thorlo site posted above, and have to crack up... they have a section for Law Enforcement. And they have "tactical" socks.

Really.

What makes a sock tactical? And would a tactical sock give me more tact for dressage???
    Laugh all you want, but if you've ever known a soldier or police officer, you'd know that socks are no joke in those particular professions. Keeping your feet warm, dry, and blister-free can quite literally save your life. If tactical socks wasn't such a huge industry, we probably wouldn't have things like SmartWool today on the regular consumer market. And while we're at it, let's also thank war and crime for giving us Kevlar and ballistic nylon for our horse blankets.

I have a couple strategies: big thick wool socks, shrunken in the dryer to be even thicker and denser, inside muck boots a size too big. Or, inside an old pair of Sorels. Or, with a pair of indoor Smartwools underneath so that when I switch out the muck boots for winter riding boots, the winter riding boots fit with just the indoor Smartwools. Another thing that worked in a previous pair of boots was to get a pair of fancy insulated innersoles, although if your boots aren't big enough they can end up making things worse. And wear a hat - your mother was right, it keeps your feet warm!

My Smartwools last many years, are all the same (thus no matching issues), and I do nothing special to care for them. I think overall they are as economical as the socks I used to buy, as well as more comfortable.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Winter Socks: Dahlgren Alpaca Socks.
    Crayola posse ~ Lazer Lemon yellow
    Take time to give...it is too short a day to be selfish. - Ben Franklin

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I got all my winter socks from Gemplers, and they have a comparison chart:

http://www.gemplers.com/compare/work-socks

For those sub zero days, I resorted to my battery heated socks that I bought at Stateline tack.

Thumbs up ...

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post
    Please.

What kind? Where do you get? Cost?

I don't mind paying a *little* bit more if they are AWESOME, but I really can't spend $15+ on one pair.
    AHA !

Sounds like a Secret Santa item to me ...

Oh Elf of Pintopiaffe !!!

Yours in sport,

Lynn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...
    Suerte Hostage Crisis Survivor
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here are my ugly red ones. They really are comfy though and, as poltroon says, probably more economical because they last forever. $16.76 isn't bad and I bet if you looked around you could find them for less.

http://www.amazingsocks.com/web-pid-...-Sock-item.htm