The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by paohatch View Post
    I was just forwarded this by a friend. Apparently there are many mares in foal. The link will take you to all of the information. It is this Saturday, December 6th in MT. Vernon WI. This is close to Madison WI.

I don't know anything more than what I have read, sorry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may want to let your friend/mailing list know that this is in Mt. Vernon ILLINOIS, not Wisconsin. This is in southern IL, not all that close to Wisconsin (it is closer to Tennessee, Kentucky, and St. Louis)- I'm guessing about 6 hrs from Madison

And they are even selling a horse trailer. And wheelbarrows. Really, everything including the kitchen sink.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

I made my donation to the ILEHC and have passed along the information to some of my "horsey" friends. They got back to me right away!

Making a donation is easy. go to http://www.ilehc.org and click the donate button. This can be done through paypal too.

Gail Vacca, President of the Illinois Equine Humane Center, NFP is going personally and will be applying the donations to help with at risk horses. Thank goodness for the Illinois Equine Humane Center doing what they can to help!

PLEASE all who've posted consider making a donation, it will help Gail save more horses!
    Do you truly love horses? Then help save a horse from slaughter. Support the ASPCA and Support an Equine Rescue Organization!

http://MemphisHorses.blogspot.com

Default Ditto what ashleep said!

I sent my donation to IEHC too. Gail works tirelessly for horses at risk. I know they'll be able to snare several, the question is just how many. There are some really lovely horses there.

Fingers crossed.
    Don't wrassle with a hog. You just get dirty, and the hog likes it.

Collecting Thoroughbreds - tales of a re-rider and some TBs

If I was a bit closer, I would drive down and get Fun Dance.

If anyone is going to purchase a horse, please let Gail know once you get there, so no-one bids against each other on the at risk horses.

I am sure it will be easy to figure out who she is; there will be a couple of other ladies with her.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Hi everyone,

Sorry it took so long to get here to thank everyone for their support. Im just getting ready to leave for the auction and wanted to quickly note that if anyone is going to the sale, please try to look me up so that we'll know which horses you intend to bid on. This will help me to determine which horses might be at risk and who we need to turn our focus to. With 65 head being offered, it would be nice to know who is likely to be safe, and who might not be.

My cell # is 815-761-4937. Hope to see you there. Again, thanks to all who have stepped up to help the Mt. Vernon horses.

Gail Vacca, President
    Illinois Equine Humane Center, NFP
    www.ilehc.org
    www.horse-protection.org

No Horses to Slaughter Clique

Bunp for those who are planning to attend.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Bumping. Any updates?

How did the auction go? I "thought" Megan was in Frankfort. Turns out she went to the auction and bought one (that she admits). Unfortunately, she's got a 4-horse trailer and I'm terrified that she'll bring it home full.

secretariat--

That's why I didn't go. I'm a sucker for such things and I already have 3 of my own (two are not rideable, one's too young and one's retired) and a foster. I would have filled my trailer if I'd gone, I just know it, and then I would have been scrambling to take care of them.

I hope the auction went OK and they found homes. It's very hard to not participate....

Lee Ann -- Megan and I have a bet -- she says the filly she bought will go advanced. The bet is $50; do you realize how much more than that it will cost me to get her to advanced, even if she's as good as Randy or Nemo? These were NICE horses, breaks my heart.

We LOVE With Approval horses. This will be 2 (3?4?5?) of them that we own. The gelding we already have won the 4 yo YEH class at Richland this year.

Default Sale

Just back from the sale... Stuck in IL all night, as roads were too bad to drive the LONG way home. I decided that (1) the relation there to one of my top young horses was too good to pass on, and (2) it's Christmastime and perhaps we could do a little, tiny, tiny bit of good in the world. A dear friend passed this week, and I wanted to put some good karma into the world after such a miserable week of tears.

The sale was very, very difficult for us... There were over 300 buyers registered, and I thought the horses would be safe and we wouldn't buy anything. The girls who went with me and myself decided in the middle of the day that we wouldn't need to buy anything, though there were MANY nice horses that were VERY fancy. But sadly, after waiting all day for the rest of the items---land, tractors, truck, equipment, etc--most of the buyers left. Then there were perhaps 50-75 people left around the fence for the horse auction (just an estimate).

Yearlings to 4yo's were selling mostly for $300 to $600, with some outliers down to $150 and up to $1,200. I believe one sold for about $3k and one for about $4k.

The broodmares were very upsetting... They were selling for $100 to $300, some in foal to very nice sires. Foals were also selling for an estimated $100 to $300.

I met quite a few very nice people who were giving their all and banding together at saving as many as possible. I so enjoyed meeting others who cared enough to stand out in the FREEZING cold temperatures, shivering, to try to save these horses. I have no way of knowing how many were saved and how many went to slaughter... But for all of my favorite event prospects, I gained assurances from different groups of women in the crowd that all would be bought by these several different groups---and all were.

And thank goodness for this board... I think quite a few eventers and other COTH'ers were there, all shelling out their hard-earned cash to give these gorgeous youngsters a chance at a good life. What incredibly good people there are in the world.

Personally, I am thrilled to have purchased Lot #13, a fancy gray filly who is closely kin to one of my event horses!! I adore her.... She is a 2006 model, so will go home to KY with me to go eat bluegrass and get fat and think about how to become a future eventing star. And in memory of my dear horsey friend who passed this week, we might name the filly after her... She was a horse person, and only horse people can appreciate that comment.

Any other success stories???? I know we all did our best, and am scared to think of the negative stories... So let's focus on what we could do!!

Quote Originally Posted by hhfarm View Post
    Personally, I am thrilled to have purchased Lot #13, a fancy gray filly who is closely kin to one of my event horses!! I adore her.... She is a 2006 model, so will go home to KY with me to go eat bluegrass and get fat and think about how to become a future eventing star. And in memory of my dear horsey friend who passed this week, we might name the filly after her... She was a horse person, and only horse people can appreciate that comment.

Any other success stories???? I know we all did our best, and am scared to think of the negative stories... So let's focus on what we could do!!
    Megan--that is the one I would have bought had I gone! I loved her pedigree and structure. I'm so glad you bought her.

Did someone buy the gray stallion? I would have wanted him, too, though I have no use for a stallion.

P.S. Howard--if she goes to Advanced I'll buy you lunch and a beer for all your suppport.
    Last edited by LAZ; Dec. 6, 2008 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Adding P.S.

Default Update from another board..

Since I know everyone is looking for news....

Update on ABR said "they" bought 14 horses and the kill buyers left empty handed. I don't know if "they" meant one rescue group or a group of them but the news is great!!

It sounds like it was a long, cold day and I am sure better information will be coming. But in the meantime - great work!!!!!!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

One of the 14, according to the Alex Brown post was Company Approval, the gray stallion. He'll make a very nice gelding for someone.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Vineyridge and Tracey, can you share how you found that info? That is GREAT!!!!!!!!!! I was very worried when horses were sellling for $100.... Especially the nice babies.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    One of the 14, according to the Alex Brown post was Company Approval, the gray stallion. He'll make a very nice gelding for someone.
    It hurts a little because he would make SUCH a nice sporthorse stallion... but I'm just glad he's not dead. Sigh. If only I had the means and the wherewithal and the knowledge of stallion ownership, I would have gotten him myself.

Kudos to EVERYONE to participated and saved some wonderful horses. hhfarm, you are my HERO!!!! Would you post pictures so I can live through you vicariously?

Lee Ann -- you're on!! and don't forget the beer (I can skip the food, but I'm holding you to the beer!!).

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Here are copies of two posts on the Alex Brown Racing Forum where the Fans of Barbaro meet and help raise money for horses in danger.
    Thay got 14 horses!!! There were killers there at least 2 maybe more but the killers got NONE of them!!!
    Here is a list of the horses. I only have the numbers right now Gail is exhausted and trying to get in a hotel and something to eat. She said it was freezing and she had nothing to eat all day.
    6. 8. 12. 19, 24, 25, 27, 31, 33, 34, 37, 41, 51, 55 and one older gelding that wasn't in the catalog but the killers bid on him so Gail got him.
    ANDY - Gail got PJ's Play, Ivy Mist went to a good home and her baby wasn't offered for sale at all. Gail is not sure what happened to the baby.
    YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEE the killers went home empty handed http://latigo.marestare.com/forum/Sm...ault/yeah2.gif
    I will try to put a list of the horses with their numbers in a minute.
    YOU CAN LOOK AT PICS HERE I COULD NOT COPY THEM SORRY : )
    http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/sh...1&type=at&in=3
    # 6 ~ XCELLENT JAZZ
    # 8 ~ CONTE'S WHIRL
    Company One By 2006 Bay Filly Sire: Company Approval Dam: Penny One (Numerous) Illinois Sired and Foaled Lot #12

Sharp ‘N’ Appealing 2006 Bay Gelding Sire: Deodar Dam: Sharp “N’ Lively Indiana Foaled Lot #19
    Unnamed Chestnut Filly Foaled March 30, 2007 By: Dave And Busters Out of: Litigant Cat

Unnamed Chestnut Filly Foaled May 8, 2007 By: Dave And Busters Out of: Rylee Belle

Unnamed Gray or Roan Filly Foaled April 5, 2007 By: Company Approval Out of Silver Eloquence

Company Approval Gray/Roan Foaled 1996 Sire: With Approval Dam: Company Girl

Sunshine DottieAge: 6 LBD: 5-24-08 Foal to Penn Pacific Filly by side: by Dave and Busters Born: 4-12-08 Lot #33 &34

P.J.’s Play Age: 10 LBD: 6-2-08 Open Filly by side: by Company Approval Born: 4-9-08 Lot # 37 & 38 I AM NOT SURE ABOUT THE FILLY WILL UPDATE ASAP

Sooner Defence Age: 8 LBD: 5-19-08 Open Lot #41

Lady Garthorn Age: 16 Open Lot #51

Sharp N Lively Age: 17 LBD: 5-23-08 In foal to Penn Pacific Lot #55

AND AN OLDER GELDING WHO DID NOT GO TO THE KILLERS!!!
    Last edited by vineyridge; Dec. 6, 2008 at 10:58 PM.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Default crossposting from ABR

http://forums.delphiforums.com/alexb...?msg=31141.224

Unfortunately, it sounds as if rescues were outbidding each other and private buyers... sigh... and apparently there were no KBs there either... who to believe?

Hopefully, the horses are safe!