The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Equus Magazine: Just not what it used to be?

I used to subscribe to this magazine from about the mid 80s to mid 90s I suppose, tired of it, and let it lapse. Then I got the screamin' good offer in the mail to try it again. I signed up and just received my first copy. First impressions?

Meh Disappointed. From the crappy paper quality to the thin issue to the topics covered...I just found myself underwhelmed.

Who here get Equus that has for a while? Did I just hit the bad luck lottery on this issue being my first, or what are your thoughts about this magazine's current quality?

I let my subscription lapse this year. The magazines have been very thin and the content is not what it used to be.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

90% of horse mags are crap now !

Most of them are owned by the same publishing company too.

I only take COTH anymore...only so many times I can read "sizing your winter blanket" surrounded by ads for the same brand as shown illustrating the article.

No content for anybody that is not relatively new anymore in any of them.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

And if you have been getting the same mag long enough, you start to notice that the articles will repeat themselves. I have let all of mine lapse and right now I am only getting the Trail Rider mag and it is starting to get on my nerves.

I have pretty much every Equus ever printed.

What I see is the affects of the Internet. We might discuss a topic out here and next month you will see an article in the magazine. Internet is instant, as soon as the news breaks the magazines can't get it out that fast.

They still cover things I haven't heard yet so I keep my subscription up. I wonder how long any magazine will continue competing against the Internet.

I think the thinning may just be advertisement, which is fine with me!
    /Don't Judge...
    1 in 100 children, 1 in 94 boys and 1 in 88 military children...
    It’s time to listen.
    Every day!/

I've let them all lapse, too. I find it's the same basic stuff over and over, and too many ads. Some of them remind me of the women's supermarket magazines "10 tips to win your man's love!" or "3 easy pie recipes to wow your neighbors".

I sort of like the COTH forum for more in depth information - I can ignore the stuff that doesn't interest me, but there's always tons of stuff that does interest me, and a wide variety of people at different levels and in different disciplines.

Ever notice on COTH, there will be repeats, too though? Every few months some one asks "anyone ever use a Mikmar?" or "how can I teach my pony to drive" or "my horse is bolting" or "what's the best way to remove ticks" etc.

I also get Equus, but just because of the bargain it is (plus the free ball-cap). Same with Practical Horseman.

My favourite mag...Horse & Hound, an amazing weekly with beautiful color photos and they cover everything from dressage to driving (good medical articles too!).

Western Horseman is pretty good too! It has poetry, artist/sculpture interviews etc. It's amazingly broad in it's coverage.

Hunter & Sport Horse can be very good (I've had articles published in that one, so I'm biased...If you can write, submit articles, they love to fill the pages).

I used to love Horse Digest, they pulled articles from everyone.

I think a lot of riders have gotten lazy and never "learned" the basics via Pony Club, 4-H or FFA...so they don't really wish to read the nuts & bolts sorts of articles...so you get a lot of fluff and filler.

How Sad.

Any one ever see "Cowboys and Indians" TSC has it sometimes. It's more a western lifestyle magazine, but there's a fair amount of horse stuff in it - interviews with saddlemakers and artists, etc.

I do like Western Horseman at the moment, though I figure I'll get bored with it eventually.

I like Eclectic Horseman, too - sort of blends Western (vaquero style) and dressage.

Default Hay

I agree! And Practical has dropped off. When Mandy Lorraine was at the helm, it was a sophisticated, excellent magazine...I get the feeling, they're dumbing down a bit.

I did noticed a drop off when the whole line of magazines left the tutelage of Primedia. I don't know the name of the new owners but I think they have dropped off under them...
    Last edited by pines4equines; Dec. 2, 2008 at 12:34 PM. Reason: typo
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by pines4equines View Post
    I did noticed a drop off when the whole line of magazines left the tutelage of Primedia. I don't know the name of the new owners but I think they have dropped off under them...
    You all should let the new owners know that. Don't write just to the editors (although they DO want to hear from you, too), but also write to the owners of the magazine.

The people working at EQUUS are some great people and I enjoy working with them. However I don't know anyone at the company who owns the magazine now.

ALSO - if you all have ideas for articles, write the editors. Or write me and I'll pitch the ideas to the editors.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    90% of horse mags are crap now !
    This is true - I recently was cleaning out the attic and ran across a stack of Equus from the 70's. I actually had the first magazine edition published. I sat down and thumbed through about 15 years worth. No comparison between the magazine content back then and now.

I know it's bad when I can sit down and read Eqqus and PH cover to cover in less than an hour.

I can't tell which if it blows or sucks. both.

Source Interlink Media is the publisher of Equus, Practical Horseman, Dressage Today, Horse & Rider, and Arabain Horse World.

Here is a link to the compy website. http://www.sourceinterlinkmedia.com/

I work with them, though not on these titles and I'm sure that they would appreciate any constructive input you are willing to give. They are good people.

Magazines will listen to their subscribers if they give feedback in a logical and constructive way. They know that it does not do them or their advertisers any good if the editorial content is not relevant to the majority of their subscribers. So give them a call or send an email and let them know as a subscriber what you would like to see in the magazine. If enough speak up then maybe you can help shape the direction of the editorial content.
    Last edited by pds; Dec. 2, 2008 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Curb Appeal View Post
    I let my subscription lapse this year. The magazines have been very thin and the content is not what it used to be.
    Ditto. I would guess after 50 years of horse publications, magazines begin to run out of ideas. I subscribe(d) to Equus, Practical Horseman and Horse and Rider. I hate all of them. Well, maybe not hate, but am not renewing. I forget which one it is, but one of them is full of Parelli nonsense now, which I can't stand. Find out whether my horse is an introvert or an extrovert is just not appealing to me

I guess Practical Horseman is ok...I like the GM clinic. But holy shit, they will slap you silly with renewal notices. In fact, that is why I'm NOT renewing. When I still had 10 issues left, I started getting the phony 'bills' that trick you into renewing. Super annoying. From there on out it only got worse with more solicitation. Stop crying wolf when I have a year of issues left...

I DO however really love Hunter & Sport Horse. If you are into hunters/jumpers/XC/dressage/sport horse breeding, you MUST check it out. It's a great magazine. Funny, good articles, gorgeous horses, it does a great job covering all of the aspects with no gimmicky advertising.

I also love the QH Journal. But if you're not into QHs, you won't dig it. I'll admit I mostly like it for the pretty pictures (no shortage of 'look at us' advertisements there) - there is a small bit of technical info and advice also - and good breed changes/association information as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by barka.lounger View Post
    u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

I've had Equus for YEARS - I used to save them, my own personal library. However, the 'net has better, newer info at my fingertips. no wondering WHICH year and WHICH mag.

I was gonna dump Equus years ago - then they ran the HYPP article and named names.

I was gonna dump them again - and they ran the HERDA articles naming names.

I no longer have QH's (thanks to all the genetic crap there!) and went gaited horse.

PH and H&R - I get PH for Kips writing. But will probably let the mag lapse with the cost.

H&R - geared to the show divas. YAWN. Will prolly let that lapse too.

For Equus to get me again there needs to be another HERDA or HYPP tell all. But one I am interested in at this time.
    Crayola posse ~ Lazer Lemon yellow
    Take time to give...it is too short a day to be selfish. - Ben Franklin