The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default To-Die-For Dapples & Shine

My filly has a gorgeous deep red bay coat and she sheds out beautifully in the spring/summer and has shiny and soft hair...until the hottest part of summer when everything dries up and eventually her coat bleaches out and even topical conditioners and sunscreens dont help. (We didnt use a fly sheet last summer because of the mischevious pony she was pastured with, but we will this summer)

So this season I want to try a feed-thru-the-feed system and need suggestions for a product that isnt going to wipe out my bank account, is easy to feed, palatable, and will keep her coat shiny, soft, and *maybe* we can have some dapples in there too!

I've heard the arguements for flax, oil, omega horseshine, paprika, etc SO my question is what is you vote?

What product do you SWEAR by...that you simply wouldnt give up feeding to your horse(s) and why? Post before and after pics if you have some to share!

She is currently on a maintenance diet of 2 lbs of TC Growth a Day with a pound of 30%, 4 oz of Biotin, and 1/4 cup of Canola Oil and 24/7 turnout on good grass, good free choice hay in the winter. This wasnt the diet she was being fed last summer so I'm hoping it will help a little, but I'm really looking for that product that can accomplish and replace the Biotin and Oil and produce even better results.

Thanks!
    Crayola Posse~Aquamarine
    Love vs Money...for the love of my horse, I have no money!

Search here for copper and fading and you may find your answer

I am pretty sure there is a phone number to call on your Triple Crown bag to talk to a nutritionist. Call.

Quote Originally Posted by Evalee Hunter View Post
    I am pretty sure there is a phone number to call on your Triple Crown bag to talk to a nutritionist. Call.

Already have. The girl said they really arent inthe market to suggest products outside of their product line and that she is getting all the nutrition she needs from the products that I have her on. It was my own choice to add the Biotin and Oil for skin, coat, and feet. She blossomed alone on the TC in the span of 30 days after bouncing back from an unfortunate situation at a previous boarding barn where she wasnt getting the care I expected.

I'm just looking for that little extra.
    Crayola Posse~Aquamarine
    Love vs Money...for the love of my horse, I have no money!

I would replace the biotin and oil with omega horseshine. OH has biotin in it, and it is high in fat (being a flax supplement).

Keeping her covered will help a ton, or keeping her in during the day if that is possible. My mare tends to hang out in the shade all day on her own, so she stays pretty shiney as long as she has shade available (which she does on my property, but some places I have boarded do not have much shade).

While she is getting most of the nutrition she needs from the triple crown products, she could still be short on some things from your grasses and hays. My filly was the only one that bleached out this past summer. Added a mineral supplement that had a good amount of copper in it and her coat immediately bounced back.

Quote Originally Posted by Empressive Award View Post
    My filly has a gorgeous deep red bay coat and she sheds out beautifully in the spring/summer and has shiny and soft hair...until the hottest part of summer when everything dries up and eventually her coat bleaches out and even topical conditioners and sunscreens dont help. (We didnt use a fly sheet last summer because of the mischevious pony she was pastured with, but we will this summer)

So this season I want to try a feed-thru-the-feed system and need suggestions for a product that isnt going to wipe out my bank account, is easy to feed, palatable, and will keep her coat shiny, soft, and *maybe* we can have some dapples in there too!

I've heard the arguements for flax, oil, omega horseshine, paprika, etc SO my question is what is you vote?

What product do you SWEAR by...that you simply wouldnt give up feeding to your horse(s) and why? Post before and after pics if you have some to share!

She is currently on a maintenance diet of 2 lbs of TC Growth a Day with a pound of 30%, 4 oz of Biotin, and 1/4 cup of Canola Oil and 24/7 turnout on good grass, good free choice hay in the winter. This wasnt the diet she was being fed last summer so I'm hoping it will help a little, but I'm really looking for that product that can accomplish and replace the Biotin and Oil and produce even better results.

Thanks!
    Black as Knight makes products for all color coats. It's a great product. I know, I've used it. Your horse will NOT bleach out in the summer.

Grapeseed extract, available for $10/lb at herbalcom.com has worked wonders for my horses, and much better than anything else I had tried (flax, rice bran and other fat supplements, paprika, calf manna, copper, etc.). My horses have always been well fed and though I was sure nothing was lacking in their diet I still had some skin issues...a bay who bleached and a paint who burned. Grapeseed extract fixed both, and it's cheap.

When I was 8 and 1/2 months pregnant, I fell asleep on a lounge chair outside and got a bad sunburn. I was horrified, and called my doctor's office. The nurse told me to get some grapeseed extract at GNC or the drugstore. My sunburn was gone within 24 hours, without peeling. I was amazed. I continue to take it, and use it especially if I am going on vacation or going to be out in the sun for a long period of time (of course I still use sunscreen).

It is the most powerful antioxidant known to man, 1,000 times more powerful that vitamins C or E, and stays in the system much longer. Bleached coats can possibly be from dietary deficiency, but more often I think it's plain old oxidative damage. I am guessing that some may come along to poo-poo the powers of grapeseed, and that's OK. If you're the skeptical type, I'll leave with some reading material:
    http://carcin.oxfordjournals.org/cgi...stract/27/1/95
    http://www.springerlink.com/content/38veakk98dwtu85d/
    http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/j...85896/abstract
    (yeah, that last one was on hairless mice, but it still speaks to the prevention of UV induced damage).

I've used Super14 from Farnam (I think) for a year now and it's amazing! I put the horses on it last year because they had to live outside for the winter and were incredibly wooly and dull looking. Within 2 weeks of using it their coats were visibly shinier and have stayed cleaner/were easier to clean all winter. Even my 30 yr old that isn't the prettiest anymore lol. My 3 yr old has that bear-warmblood coat going on and throughout the summer he stayed incredibly shiny!

http://grazfamily.myphotoalbum.com/v...06&id=IMG_0151
    (nothing besides a normal soapy bath before a show, he gets groomed maybe 3 or 4 times a week)
    Who needs wings when you've got a jumper?
    http://darkstr.webs.com

I swear by Horsetech's Glanzen. It's flaxseed mixed with trace minerals.

I've used it for years, and I have a blood bay who has a shiny soft coat throughout the summer. I've never used a flysheet on her.

Here's the link: http://www.horsetech.com
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

I feed Source as the only supplimental to a normal pellet feed, and I would not do without it. My horses coats are soft, shiny, have that bloom to them and they look like they've been painted by a dapple brush.

http://www.4source.com/index2.shtml

Paprika, at 4$/lb from herbalcom.com does wonders for coat coloring and fading.

I feed it year round, about a tablespoon or 2 a day, really has kept my black horse black. I'm thrilled with it.

I think it tests (capsacin) but I don't show so it doesn't matter.

saddles Guest

www.totalsupplements.com
    My horses have dapples, soft shiny coat year round and GREAT hooves. Easy to feed, but may not be as palatable as some supplements because there are absolutely no additives. I feed mine with whole oats. $85 for a 4 month supply. Go to the website and have a look.

Flaxseed meal. Amazing stuff!
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

I feed either of the two Dynamite vitamin-mineral supplements and the horses have gorgeous shiney coats year-round despite brutal sunshine. A cloudy day is a good day for me. I was just noticing dapples are coming in now with the winter coats.

I couldn't offer Before and After photos as they have always had the same supplement.

It is very cost effective and labor free as it's the only supplement I feed.

(I do put out free choice minerals in a bucket from time to time.)

A friend of mine rescued a mare and put her on Clovite. Nothing happened, but in less than a week on Dynamite, she saw the bloom return.

Great stuff.

The only things that have ever worked to prevent fading on my horses are products with paprika in them. I feed the Glanzen version of the Black As Knight products since I already have everyone on custom Glanzen products. I pull my show horses off of anything with paprika in it 10(ish) days before a show and they don't suffer any worse for it (ie they don't start fading in that time or after).

I've seen friends have success with copper on horses who had a deficiency, but that's not my problem here.

The flax seed and other products are great and definitely help with the "bloom" of the coat, but I've never found them to make the slightest difference on mine in terms of bleaching/not bleaching.

If they are out in the sun, the only thing that will keep them from fading is a fly sheet with UVA protection. We use them and have no fading problems at all.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Quote Originally Posted by meaty ogre View Post
    Grapeseed extract, available for $10/lb at herbalcom.com has worked wonders for my horses, and much better than anything else I had tried (flax, rice bran and other fat supplements, paprika, calf manna, copper, etc.). My horses have always been well fed and though I was sure nothing was lacking in their diet I still had some skin issues...a bay who bleached and a paint who burned. Grapeseed extract fixed both, and it's cheap.

When I was 8 and 1/2 months pregnant, I fell asleep on a lounge chair outside and got a bad sunburn. I was horrified, and called my doctor's office. The nurse told me to get some grapeseed extract at GNC or the drugstore. My sunburn was gone within 24 hours, without peeling. I was amazed. I continue to take it, and use it especially if I am going on vacation or going to be out in the sun for a long period of time (of course I still use sunscreen).

It is the most powerful antioxidant known to man, 1,000 times more powerful that vitamins C or E, and stays in the system much longer. Bleached coats can possibly be from dietary deficiency, but more often I think it's plain old oxidative damage. I am guessing that some may come along to poo-poo the powers of grapeseed, and that's OK. If you're the skeptical type, I'll leave with some reading material:
    http://carcin.oxfordjournals.org/cgi...stract/27/1/95
    http://www.springerlink.com/content/38veakk98dwtu85d/
    http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/j...85896/abstract
    (yeah, that last one was on hairless mice, but it still speaks to the prevention of UV induced damage).
    Meaty Ogre - thanks for the links. How much of this do you feed?

www.theracell.com

Optimum EQ and Empower-hemp oil. hands down. nothing else even compares-tried em' all.

Better grooming will help. You certainly can stuff them full of coat supplements, oil, grain, etc and it will help. But a good grooming regimen is what gives that extra bit of shine (IMO).