The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rancher View Post
    I am on the phone to a friend of mine in California. A horse she is looking after is down and wont get up. They gave him some banamine an hour ago and want to know when they can give him another dose. The horse has a bad hip I guess and doesn't want to get up. His temp was 96 when she found him 3 hours ago and it's 98 now. So when can he get some more banamine? She gave him 10 ccs of it. They have been calling numerous vets and they can't get one to come out. Any other suggestions? When ever he tries to get up his feet slip out on on the mud and that hurts his hip and he stops trying. He is a 20 year old TB.
    They did call Vets. The Vets did not do emergency service where they live and they had to wait for regular hours at 8am CA time. They even asking for recommendations of an East Coast Vet that might already be open to ask if more Banamine was OK. Ghazzu checked in an hour later.

Just to be clear, Rancher is in another country. A friend called and asked what to do so Rancher posted in the middle of the night, for friend, who was very very far away.

In many places Vets do not do ER calls anymore. In some places they do not even do farm calls anymore. Supply and demand. Where I live we have tons and tons of Vets. They still work 24/7, but its is changing places where here are few Vets.

That is horrifying!! Good lord! What would you do if the horse colicked??? Although I have to say- I experienced something similar at a show in Vermont at a horse show. Horse coliced and vet would not come out. Told us to call someone else- who turned out to be a cow vet. She got worse, first vet FINALLY came out, and when she was later admitted to an equine hospital they said that if she had been treated correctly the first time it may not have progressed the way it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Kementari View Post
    I've experienced it. I honestly wouldn't believe it otherwise, but we had a horse who tore a huge chunk of skin open on a Friday night (a corner tear, like what happens when a blanket gets caught on something, and a good 6 inches across the top and 10+ inches on the side - needed cleaning and suturing, not to mention antibiotics) and NO VET would come until Monday. We had THREE local vets, and they ALL said no (and not just no farm call; "No, we aren't open"). There was no money owed or extenuating circumstances or anything - just NO. It was mind boggling. I had never thought ANY vet would decline to come for 48+ hours in an emergency, let alone EVERY vet.

Poor horse - we gave him bute, banamine, and ACE (and antibiotics we had on hand), and cleaned and stitched him up ourselves. It was awful, but you do what you have to, and we had no other choices. Luckily the horse came through the ordeal well, no infection, most of the stitches held, and the scar wasn't even very bad, ultimately. But I've never forgiven those vets (and thankfully I no longer live in the area - our vets out here are all great about responding to emergencies!).

Jingles for the down horse - I hoped the vet has arrived and done what needs to be done by now.

Quote Originally Posted by equinelaw View Post
    They did call Vets. The Vets did not do emergency service where they live and they had to wait for regular hours at 8am CA time. They even asking for recommendations of an East Coast Vet that might already be open to ask if more Banamine was OK. Ghazzu checked in an hour later.

Just to be clear, Rancher is in another country. A friend called and asked what to do so Rancher posted in the middle of the night, for friend, who was very very far away.

In many places Vets do not do ER calls anymore. In some places they do not even do farm calls anymore. Supply and demand. Where I live we have tons and tons of Vets. They still work 24/7, but its is changing places where here are few Vets.
    No, they did not...This very same topic is posted by the same person on anther forum. They did not call anywhere until this morning. They called one number and said, "noper, they don't have emergency" and gave up there. The emergency pager number was easily found on line by someone on the other BB and they still avoided calling for a bit.

Has the horse been looked at yet or no? Updates? Euthanized? Anything?

Pardon me Trub but you need to get your facts straight before you go accusing her of not calling the vet. She called numerous vets that wouldnt come out. Apple Valley Equine just kept giving her 'Sorry, we are closed'. The rest were closed as well. Mistyblue found a phone number of a vet fairly far away that they didn't know existed. And when they called him he STILL wouldn't come out because he said the horse would be dead before he got there anyway.

The horse was put down an hour ago. I wasn't home to get the message from her.
    My horses past and present....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgMOjxvLMJo

Sorry that your friend had this difficult situation.
    Did the vet have any thoughts on the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkers On View Post
    Sorry that your friend had this difficult situation.
    Did the vet have any thoughts on the problem?
    She was bawling so hard on the message that I have been reluctant to call her back. All she said was that he was gone. It was an hour ago and I hope she has been able to get to sleep. I don't want to wake her up if she is sleeping. She sat outside with him since 11pm last night.

Default Rancher

I'm so sorry your friend didn't have more luck.
    I'm sorry about her loss. Let her know folks are sending cyberhugs her way
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by marta View Post
    I'm so sorry your friend didn't have more luck.
    I'm sorry about her loss. Let her know folks are sending cyberhugs her way
    Thank you. I will.

I am glad it is done, for all concerned. Someone else said it but I will echo the sentiment.......Rancher, you are a good friend!

Please pass along more cyberhugs for your friend and the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Rancher View Post
    She was bawling so hard on the message that I have been reluctant to call her back. All she said was that he was gone. It was an hour ago and I hope she has been able to get to sleep. I don't want to wake her up if she is sleeping. She sat outside with him since 11pm last night.
    So So sorry your friend had to go through this. I had to wait for a vet for 3 or 4 hours to put down my filly and that was traumatic enough. An over night vigil is just over the top. My heart goes out to her.

It may not be easy for her to get over this.
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkers On View Post
    What the heck type of vet doesn't go to an emergency? I don't get it!
    I'm not getting this, either. There have been several threads lately about folks having trouble getting vets out in an emergency. Lots of reasons given by numerous posters, but bottom line, it's a troubling trend that I'm seeing over and over. Wonder how this affects your insurance payout if the eventual outcome is death of the horse and you were unable to get the vet out to help.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I'm sorry for your friends loss, and that she had to go through such a heart wrenching experience all because she couldn't find anyone to help her.

I hope this might be a reminder to all horse owners on this board to check with your vet to find out what their emergency policies are, and if they don't have 24x7 coverage, to get numbers that they call call. For example, our small animal vet does not have 24x7 coverage, but on their voice mail it does give you the numbers of the two 24x7 emergency animal vets that are open.

Also, find out if anywhere in your area if there is someone that does body removals. Some of those folks will also shoot the horse if necessary (at least the guy in our area does it).

Get all those names and numbers and put them in your contact lists on your cell phones. And then hopefully you will never have to use them.

Amen, Munchkin.

When the horse is down, is not the time to find out that none of the vets you have listed won't come out.

I have my regular vet's number, as well as an emergency vet. If he's not available, I have 3 other numbers I can call for mobile emergency vets. I may live in Redneckville, VA, but there's no way an animal of mine would go all night without veterinary care.

I also second getting the info for backhoe or removal services before you need them. I have those numbers posted on my refrigerator, along with all the vet numbers.
    Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

Unfortunately for your friend it is also the area that probably played a problem. For those that don't know Northern CA, Apple Valley is this little town up in the hills about an 1 to 1.5 hours from Sacramento. It is not an easy drive even during the day and there is really not much there. Again not that it helps now but should this ever arise again in the future for your friend she should call the local Animal Control and report a downed horse. They have to come investigate and if the leg had been mentioned they should have come out right away and can make a vet come to euthanize or have somebody that could have shot it.

We had a mare to the same injury in her stall. She was a 26 year old appy warhorse. What it probably was it their hip flexor get quite stretched with age and in Shilah's case it ruptured and wasn't keeping her hip in the socket which makes a horrendous bone breaking sound when they try to move it although nothing was broken. Unfortunately at that age there is also nothing that can be done and generally results in them being euthanized.

Hugs to your friend and I hope she was able to get even a tiny bit of sleep. If they called around and the owners didn't want the sheriff called then there was nothing she could do past wait and make the horse as comfortable as possible. Good news is the horse probably wasn't that painful being down between the shock and the banamine and was most likely pretty out of it.

There are a lot of great vets around here who make farm calls (some that's all they do) and some will come right away even if you are not their client.

My regular vet went on vacation this summer, but he answered his cell and gave me the name of an associate. He came right out, in the middle of the night, to stitch up a horse that had gotten cut. We liked this young man so much, we've called him again for non-emergency stuff.

This is cowboy country and there are a lot of vets who will help a horse, just to be helpin'.

I'm very sorry the horse was not able to be seen for so long. It seems the owner did everything she could to make the horse as comfortable as possible. That's all anyone could ask of her.

I'm very sorry for your friends loss.

Quote Originally Posted by mjrtango93 View Post
    Unfortunately for your friend it is also the area that probably played a problem. For those that don't know Northern CA, Apple Valley is this little town up in the hills about an 1 to 1.5 hours from Sacramento. It is not an easy drive even during the day and there is really not much there. Again not that it helps now but should this ever arise again in the future for your friend she should call the local Animal Control and report a downed horse. They have to come investigate and if the leg had been mentioned they should have come out right away and can make a vet come to euthanize or have somebody that could have shot it.

We had a mare to the same injury in her stall. She was a 26 year old appy warhorse. What it probably was it their hip flexor get quite stretched with age and in Shilah's case it ruptured and wasn't keeping her hip in the socket which makes a horrendous bone breaking sound when they try to move it although nothing was broken. Unfortunately at that age there is also nothing that can be done and generally results in them being euthanized.

Hugs to your friend and I hope she was able to get even a tiny bit of sleep. If they called around and the owners didn't want the sheriff called then there was nothing she could do past wait and make the horse as comfortable as possible. Good news is the horse probably wasn't that painful being down between the shock and the banamine and was most likely pretty out of it.
    Are there 2 Apple Valley's?
    Apple Valley I know is maybe 2 hours from Pasadena. Significantly south of Sacramento. Though south of Barstow. San Bernadino county.?? Southern California. I'm confused.

I think mjrtango mixed up Grass Valley and Apple Valley. Apple Valley is pretty remote and not an affluent area so it's not surprising that they couldn't get a vet, especially not knowing the area well.
    Originally Posted by Blinkers On View Post
    What the heck type of vet doesn't go to an emergency? I don't get it!
    All of them these days it seems like. My SOs uncle breeds and lives in a rural area and has practically had to become his own vet over the past 5 or 6 years as he can't get anyone out there after hours most of the time since his old vet retired. And he has hundreds of head of livestock and horses so a good customer.