The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I just called her and the horse is still alive and they are waiting for the vet clinic to open at 8am so they can call someone to come out. That's all I know.

They couldn't roll the horse because that would mean pulling on his bad leg and it was just too cruel to try and do when he probably isn't getting up anyway.
    My horses past and present....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgMOjxvLMJo

Honestly, having been in the situation with a downed horse like I wrote before, could I go back in time, I wouldn't have flipped Cashel over to try and help her get up. It was pretty traumatic, at least for me, and I think for her.
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Cashela View Post
    Honestly, having been in the situation with a downed horse like I wrote before, could I go back in time, I wouldn't have flipped Cashel over to try and help her get up. It was pretty traumatic, at least for me, and I think for her.
    Ya, they are not going to. I am pretty sure that once the vet gets there they are just going to put the horse down.

I'm sorry this happened. It does sound like an injury to hip or pelvis.
    I used to have a horse with a bad leg; every now and then she would lay down wrong on the slope, that leg would go numb on her and she couldn't get up. We would roll her over and she would get right up. For her, it was more traumatic to be lying there helpless than to be rolled over. But then, she was an exceptionally smart, independent, very non-panicky, very thinking horse. I've never seen another like her.
    "Uh, if you're going to try that, shouldn't you unplug it first?"

Default 3 years ago on christmas eve i dealt with that.

old TB down in the mud couldn't get up. we tried and tried. then gave him banamine on vet's instructions, covered him w/ blankets and dragged him to a dry spot out of the mud. left him there (we tried to get him up for hours to no avail) not really expecting a happy ending. the next a.m. he was up and walking around eating hay! what a great christmas that was

keep him warm. the vet told us that after you give banamine it will be even harder to get the horse up. so don't try to get him up. just keep him warm and hopefully he'll be able to stand up on his own in a little while.

lots of luck!
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Poor old guy. Will be looking for updates, happy or not.

You're a great friend.
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

Arent' there any local horse farms you can call for help? I'm thinking if you state your case, someone with sedation might come over to help. Just get the owners' permission before bringing a stranger into the mix.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I've been there and it's horrible.

Despite what my gut is telling me, I am jingling for a positive outcome for the old fellow. But, I do agree that a bullet would be far kinder than letting him suffer any longer waiting for a vet to come put him down. Keep us posted.

Rancher any news?

Me too, oldgreymare.

Jingles and prayers, rancher.

Apple Valley Equine Finally opened up and they are going to have someone out there in 10 min.

What the heck type of vet doesn't go to an emergency? I don't get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rienzi View Post
    I'm sorry this happened. It does sound like an injury to hip or pelvis.
    I used to have a horse with a bad leg; every now and then she would lay down wrong on the slope, that leg would go numb on her and she couldn't get up. We would roll her over and she would get right up. For her, it was more traumatic to be lying there helpless than to be rolled over. But then, she was an exceptionally smart, independent, very non-panicky, very thinking horse. I've never seen another like her.

I wish that had worked for us We got my girl flipped over and at that point it had become very apparent that she had given up. She had that blank stare and I really knew that it was time and at that point we had already been waiting on the vet to get there. the vet didn't say otherwise when she saw her about not putting her down.
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkers On View Post
    We have one here that will NOT come after hours if you are not an established patient. Sucks, IMO.

Rancher, I hope the old guys passing is quick and peaceful.

I've experienced it. I honestly wouldn't believe it otherwise, but we had a horse who tore a huge chunk of skin open on a Friday night (a corner tear, like what happens when a blanket gets caught on something, and a good 6 inches across the top and 10+ inches on the side - needed cleaning and suturing, not to mention antibiotics) and NO VET would come until Monday. We had THREE local vets, and they ALL said no (and not just no farm call; "No, we aren't open"). There was no money owed or extenuating circumstances or anything - just NO. It was mind boggling. I had never thought ANY vet would decline to come for 48+ hours in an emergency, let alone EVERY vet.

Poor horse - we gave him bute, banamine, and ACE (and antibiotics we had on hand), and cleaned and stitched him up ourselves. It was awful, but you do what you have to, and we had no other choices. Luckily the horse came through the ordeal well, no infection, most of the stitches held, and the scar wasn't even very bad, ultimately. But I've never forgiven those vets (and thankfully I no longer live in the area - our vets out here are all great about responding to emergencies!).

Jingles for the down horse - I hoped the vet has arrived and done what needs to be done by now.
    Proud member of the EDRF

Quote Originally Posted by theoldgreymare View Post
    We have one here that will NOT come after hours if you are not an established patient. Sucks, IMO.

Rancher, I hope the old guys passing is quick and peaceful.

That's why I make sure I use a vet for annual shots, instead of doing it myself. Same thing for the dogs. It's also nice to have someone familiar with your animal when it is healthy, so they know what is abnormal. I think websites like 1-800-PETMEDS are nice to have, but use my vet instead. I'd rather pay a little extra, but know that I do expect service and get it,when I have a problem.

They did/do have an emergency service but the OP and friend did not call. The number was easily found during an online search by others.

Thankfully the poor horse will finally get the vet help that it needs.

Wow. It just seems so wrong that they wouldn't come out in a desperate situation. I guess I can sort of understand the "if you aren't a client" thing, but what a way to gain a new client. You think that someone in a likely resulting in death situation would transfer business to the person who helped in a time of need.
    It's a shame, truly.

So sorry, been there done that, I know what its like.

Hope the horse will soon be out of pain. It is imperative to establish a regular relationship with a vet that does emergency visits for just this reason. My vet will not go to emergency calls unless you are a regular customer.

I had been between vets when I had an emergency and couldn't get anyone out. If you live any where near a race track call them and ask for the track vet. That was what I ended up doing.
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

Wow. It just seems so wrong that they wouldn't come out in a desperate situation. I guess I can sort of understand the "if you aren't a client" thing, but what a way to gain a new client. You think that someone in a likely resulting in death situation would transfer business to the person who helped in a time of need.
    It's a shame, truly.
    You have to actually call the vet for them to know there is an emergency in need of service.