The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

I could be wrong by my old timer vet told me that a smaller bullet is better (he recomended a .22, I think) because it's less likey to come back out. He also said to aim down the horse's neck.

I've also heard of a horse that got loose and had been hit by a car. Horse was running madly on the Dales. They couldn't get close enough to catch him, so asked a hunter with a rifle to shoot the horse. I believe that he aimed for the heart and dropped the horse like that. I wouldn't recomend it at all, but the man was an experenced deer hunter and knew where to aim for a clean shot.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I totally forgot to post this here. I did post it on another board.

For those that may be wondering what the final diagnosis was, here it is. I got this message from my friend the day after.

"As you know George made it through the night. The vet Mistyblue found refused to come out sayng George's temp was so low he wouldn't survive the hour it woud've taken him to drive (94 degrees) didn't understand the temp never got over 96 during the night with 10 people rubbing and patting him and 2 blankets to warm him up. That was about 7am. When AV Equine opened at 8am the vet came immediately and he was finally put down about 830. The poor guy never quit the ground was torn up from him trying to get up, but the rear left leg wasn't working at all, he couldn't move it. I'm really glad the owner made the decision (over the phone) to euthanize him instead of causing more pain w/o guaranteed results. He's been down probably 12hrs or so. Vet said his kidneys were probably shut down and possibly his liver that would have been worth taking a chance on with meds if the leg would move. But for a 20yr old tb I don't think it was fair. If anything like this happens to mine, please don't hesitate to end it however possible I would never want them to suffer like he did even if you can't get a hold of me. I am pretty devestated by it more b/c of how long he suffered and that he never gave up, we had to do that for him. Thanks, too for being there to look up stuff for me, I'm sure you were exhausted too."

When she talks about HER horses she is talking about 2 that I am boarding for her. Yes...2000 miles away. There was 3, but we just sold one. Hopefully they can go home next spring! I NEVER want to have to make 'that call' to her.
    My horses past and present....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgMOjxvLMJo

I'm so sorry your friend and her horse had to go through that.

In case you or anyone else is in that situation again, here is an article that describes how to humanely perform euthanasia with a gun. If anyone finds themselves in the situation Rancher's friend found herself in I'd call the local law enforcement, show them this, and get them to put the horse out of it's misery.

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vetext..._horses2-2.pdf

My first pony got hit by a car when someone opened our gate. She was lying on the ground thrashing (it was horrible for me to see as a young teen) and our local sheriff had to shoot her, but he didn't do a good job and had to shoot a couple of times. So if a vet can come out that's your best bet, but if not, well, you have to be tougher than you think. Fortunately the sheriff was close and we didn't have to wait long, but my mom really couldn't do it, and my dad was out of town. I've had to kill my own goat (my dog got hold of it) and it was HARD.

Rancher, I'm so sorry for your friend - that must have been a horrible night.

Rancher, I am very sorry for your friend. A sad time all around. Thank you for bringing this important issue to light. Again, my condolences to you all.

Thanks to the folks who answered my questions about euthanasia. I really appreciate it. I'm not experienced with a firearm, just enough for self defense. I know this now: after watching my beloved old horse thrash wildly on the ground, I could have shot him in a heartbeat. I am glad we could get the vet out, but now I know I could do it in certain circumstances. Watching a horse I loved suffer so violently was just horrible.

Next time... though I hope it never happens, Rancher can and will call me. I could have and would have gotten a vet there and gone along. We would have been there long before morning to put the poor soul out of his misery. Heart breaking. This entire story is heart breaking for all involved

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkers On View Post
    Next time... though I hope it never happens, Rancher can and will call me. I could have and would have gotten a vet there and gone along. We would have been there long before morning to put the poor soul out of his misery. Heart breaking. This entire story is heart breaking for all involved
    Blinkers...I totally crapped the bed on that one. I have no idea why I didn't even remember that you lived in Cali. You just never crossed my mind and I don't know why. It was stupid. If it EVER happens again I call YOU. I promise!
    My horses past and present....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgMOjxvLMJo

This is all so scary. It reminds me that I need to get some fresh tranq from the vet - I try to have it on hand in case anything happens. At least I could make the horse comfortable while waiting on the vet. In my case, the vet is only 2 miles away, but who knows in an emergency.