The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Help! Horse emergency....

I am on the phone to a friend of mine in California. A horse she is looking after is down and wont get up. They gave him some banamine an hour ago and want to know when they can give him another dose. The horse has a bad hip I guess and doesn't want to get up. His temp was 96 when she found him 3 hours ago and it's 98 now. So when can he get some more banamine? She gave him 10 ccs of it. They have been calling numerous vets and they can't get one to come out. Any other suggestions? When ever he tries to get up his feet slip out on on the mud and that hurts his hip and he stops trying. He is a 20 year old TB.
    My horses past and present....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgMOjxvLMJo

So they have pulled the mats of the horse trailer and have been trying to get them under his legs for when he goes to try to get up again. Right now he has no energy and wont even try.

Quote Originally Posted by Rancher View Post
    So they have pulled the mats of the horse trailer and have been trying to get them under his legs for when he goes to try to get up again. Right now he has no energy and wont even try.
    What does the horse's gums look like~~ pink, white, gray, blue?

Put the halter and lead rope on the horse and pull hard enough to get the horse to pull back. The horse can then use the taught rope and an extra leg. You brace and they have a hand up. Treat it like a cast horse. If he rope wont work throw a bucket at it. I know that sounds harsh, but I have sen many an old horse jump up and get moving from a close clanking bucket.

10c of Bananine should not be re-dosed for awhile-- My Vet always say 6-8 hours minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    What does the horse's gums look like~~ pink, white, gray, blue?
    They are white.

Quote Originally Posted by equinelaw View Post
    Put the halter and lead rope on the horse and pull hard enough to get the horse to pull back. The horse can then use the taught rope and an extra leg. You brace and they have a hand up. Treat it like a cast horse. If he rope wont work throw a bucket at it. I know that sounds harsh, but I have sen many an old horse jump up and get moving from a close clanking bucket.

10c of Bananine should not be re-dosed for awhile-- My Vet always say 6-8 hours minimum.
    No, they are thinking now that his hip is actually broken. He isn't going to get to his feet.

What are the side effects to giving too much Banamine? Is it possible to just give him too much until they can get a vet out in about 4 hours to put him down?

Sounds like an emergency !!!! Is he responsive at all ? Sounds to me like he is in shock. Try to get him warm and get a vet ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfe View Post
    Sounds like an emergency !!!! Is he responsive at all ? Sounds to me like he is in shock. Try to get him warm and get a vet ASAP.
    No vet! I you can find one in the Apple Vally CA area then you are doing better than her. They don't do house calls and if you can maybe talk one into doing it they certainly wont after hours. They are trying to find ANYONE that can put this horse down.

He isn't really responsive.

I honestly do not know. Death is one, but that the point here. Worse would be some rupture of an ulcer.

While certainly not my idea and not my choice I have seen older horses just not be able to get up and get shocky from the cold ground. They will "sit" and spin and the just lie down and give up, but not necessarily a broken hip. Just cold and too stiff to make the push off the ground.

On the other hand I have seen a horse with a fractured pelvis get up. I know you are not there and can't see for yourself. If they try hard to make the horse warm and comfortable and clam then 4 hours is not that horrible.

I have been told by the Vet to stack meds for really painful colics--just not stacking NSAIDS but rompum or some other cocktail they wont cure anything but makes the horse not really care. Do they have anythsing else besides Banamine and Bute?

Its 4 hours until morning there,but the Vets on the East coast are up in an hour?

No, they are thinking now that his hip is actually broken. He isn't going to get to his feet.

What are the side effects to giving too much Banamine? Is it possible to just give him too much until they can get a vet out in about 4 hours to put him down?
    It would not help.My vet does not want it given more than 8 to 12 hours apart, apparently more does not improve the situation. Do they have anything else they can give him ? Can they ask the vet ?
    I would think something like Turb or even Xylazine would be better.
    Make sure to keep him warm.

Quote Originally Posted by equinelaw View Post
    I honestly do not know. Death is one, but that the point here. Worse would be some rupture of an ulcer.

While certainly not my idea and not my choice I have seen older horses just not be able to get up and get shocky from the cold ground. They will "sit" and spin and the just lie down and give up, but not necessarily a broken hip. Just cold and too stiff to make the push off the ground.

On the other hand I have seen a horse with a fractured pelvis get up. I know you are not there and can't see for yourself. If they try hard to make the horse warm and comfortable and clam then 4 hours is not that horrible.

I have been told by the Vet to stack meds for really painful colics--just not stacking NSAIDS but rompum or some other cocktail they wont cure anything but makes the horse not really care. Do they have anythsing else besides Banamine and Bute?

Its 4 hours until morning there,but the Vets on the East coast are up in an hour?
    They don't have anything else. He has just been like this since sometime before she found him at 11pm. I guess the only thing to do is keep him warm as possible and wait.

Anyone know any good vets that might be up soon that they can call?

Horse: A 3-fold intramuscular dose of 1.5 mg/lb of body weight daily for 10 consecutive days was safe. No changes were observed in hematology, serum chemistry, or urinalysis values. Intravenous dosages of 0.5 mg/lb daily for 15 days; 1.5 mg/lb daily for 10 days; and 2.5 mg/lb daily for 5 days produced no changes in blood or urine parameters. No injection site irritation was observed following intramuscular injection of the 0.5 mg/lb recommended dose. Some irritation was observed following a 3-fold dose administered intramuscularly.

3x safe from manufacturer. I am not a Vet. Split the differance andmaybe PM Gazzu.

Anyone know any good vets that might be up soon that they can call?
    I don't know any that would diagnose over the phone. PM Ghazzu as she gets up early and keep posting until most COTHrs get up and on-line in the next 2 hours. Some have close relationships with Vets or are Vets.

You can call the company that makes Banamine and get the maximum dose. They should be open already or soon. The website said 3x was still safe.

It said Banamine was stronger then opiates. That's got to help.

Would it be possible to slide a tarp under him so he does not lay in the wet mud ?
    If they are sure that the hip is broken ( how do they know ?) could the sheriff or state police be called ? A bullet would be kinder than leaving him in the mud.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfe View Post
    Would it be possible to slide a tarp under him so he does not lay in the wet mud ?
    If they are sure that the hip is broken ( how do they know ?) could the sheriff or state police be called ? A bullet would be kinder than leaving him in the mud.
    He was trying to get up and an they heard some cracking and popping in his hip and he freaks out of you pull on that leg (they were going to try to flip him). I *think* he is currently laying on blankets and he has two blankets on him. Like I said, they don't know it's broken, they think it is.

I just asked her about the sherriff or police and the owners daughter is there and said no. ARGH! My friend can't do much if the owners are telling her no.

I think at this point they are just going to wait for a vet. I hate to say it, but I REALLY need to get back to bed.

He was trying to get up and an they heard some cracking and popping in his hip and he freaks out of you pull on that leg (they were going to try to flip him). I *think* he is currently laying on blankets and he has two blankets on him. Like I said, they don't know it's broken, they think it is.

I just asked her about the sherriff or police and the owners daughter is there and said no. ARGH! My friend can't do much if the owners are telling her no.

I think at this point they are just going to wait for a vet. I hate to say it, but I REALLY need to get back to bed.
    You are a good friend, please give us an update when you have a chance.
    Hope you get some sleep.

R, I think it is time for them to put him down. This is what happened with Cashel, except there was no cracking in the hip nor banamine given. She simply laid down with her bad leg under her and could not get back up. We did flip her but now that I think of it that was worse then just letting her be. I had told her to give me a sign when she was ready to be put down and that was my sign. I knew then that she wasn't getting up and an hour later (it was Thanksgiving night) she was put to rest.
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

My first thought was to suggest you try and roll him to the opposite side--sometimes the down leg gets stiff and they can't push with it, but can with the other--but it sounds like you can't get him to participate.

I doubt that a second dose of Banamine is going to make much difference in the comfort level. The main risk in a horse in this condition is probably renal compromise.

I've been where you're at. You have my sympathy.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Google search gave this result for apple valley CA

Apple Valley Equine Hospital
    (760) 247-4226
    10083 Deep Creek Rd
    Apple Valley, CA 92308
    Copyright ©2007-2012, Percheron X
    My creative work may be used on the COTH forum only.