The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Canadian $$ at par for stud fees?

I was talking to some friends today about the number of Canadian mare owners that are going to be limited to selecting stallions in Canada this year due to the exchange rate being so poor, but then I remembered that I have seen in the past some stallion owners accept Canadian $$'s at par for stud fees. Could we start a list of those stallion owners that do so?

Good idea. It does get costly with the exchange rate now to shop for stallions in the USA. However, that being said I've decided on two stallions from down south for my girls in the coming year at full price in US funds.

Quote Originally Posted by Galileo1998 View Post
    I was talking to some friends today about the number of Canadian mare owners that are going to be limited to selecting stallions in Canada this year due to the exchange rate being so poor, but then I remembered that I have seen in the past some stallion owners accept Canadian $$'s at par for stud fees. Could we start a list of those stallion owners that do so?
    The exchange rate isn't poor...it just went back to normal. Before late last year when our dollar started climbing, the exchange rate between Canada and the US has stayed pretty consistent for the last four years. Previous to that, our exchange rate was as bad as 42 cents on the dollar. Right now, it's 80 cents on the dollar. I wouldn't call that poor...just back to normal again!
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Oldenburg & RPSI approved pony stallions Daventry's Power Play & Goldhills Brandysnap
    Also home to Daventry Equine Appraisals www.EquineAppraisers.com

Just contact the stallion owners and see if they are interested.

Enough MO in the USA may be sitting on the sidelines that the SO would appreciate the business.

The exchange rate has been much much worse in the past....however, I think that a lot of U.S. mare owners might not be breeding too much in the next couple of years, so I suppose if there was ever a time to ask for something on par...now might be the time.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    The exchange rate has been much much worse in the past....however, I think that a lot of U.S. mare owners might not be breeding too much in the next couple of years, so I suppose if there was ever a time to ask for something on par...now might be the time.
    As a Stallion and Mare Owner myself, although I'm located in Canada...the US is already suffering such a huge loss as a result of the poor economy. I agree that a lot of US Mare Owners likely won't be breeding next year, or will be cutting back. As a Mare Owner, I can't imagine asking a US Stallion Owner, who's already going to be suffering a loss of breedings next year, to take a bigger loss and give me a stud fee at par just because our exchange rate went back to normal. And, as a Stallion Owner, I would be offended.

I've noticed many Stallion Owners already offering extra deals for 2009. In my opinion, they're already doing their part to try and help everyone else out but no one realizes the loss they end up taking as a result!
    Home of Oldenburg & RPSI approved pony stallions Daventry's Power Play & Goldhills Brandysnap

We do accept the Canadian exchange rate for Nevada's stud fee, but not the collection & shipping fees. I do try to help out our Canadian customers. We shipped into Nova Scotia last year, with excellent semen of over 70% at 48 hours, and the mare is in foal, so Nevada is another option for breeding in that area (no overnight shipping) with a bit of planning. (My breeder used P & E for timing)

Quote Originally Posted by Daventry View Post
    As a Mare Owner, I can't imagine asking a US Stallion Owner, who's already going to be suffering a loss of breedings next year, to take a bigger loss and give me a stud fee at par just because our exchange rate went back to normal. And, as a Stallion Owner, I would be offended.
    Perhaps you can't imagine it, but some US stallion owners do offer "at par" pricing, and since as you say the exchange rate has only returned to "normal" it's no better or worse a deal for the US stallion owners now than it was when they offered it in years past. As a business person, I can't imagine being "offended" at someone trying to find a way to make it affordable to do business with me. I always have the option of making the decision to say no but at least the question starts a dialogue.

Oh boy, I sure hope a stallion owner wouldn't be that sensitive and take offense to negotiating a price that could lead to more business.

I increased my business with US stallion owners when the currency was at par, and I know I was not the only one. The US stallion owners likely saw an increase in Canadian business because of the more favourable exchange rate.

The reality is that money talks, and now that the US dollar has gone up in value these stallion owners risk losing some of that business.

Money is tight here too and most mare owners have no choice to shop on a tight budget to stay in this business.

I am looking at US stallions for 2009 and I would love to know if anyone is offering "at par" it would really influence my decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Galileo1998 View Post
    Perhaps you can't imagine it, but some US stallion owners do offer "at par" pricing, and since as you say the exchange rate has only returned to "normal" it's no better or worse a deal for the US stallion owners now than it was when they offered it in years past. As a business person, I can't imagine being "offended" at someone trying to find a way to make it affordable to do business with me. I always have the option of making the decision to say no but at least the question starts a dialogue.
    No, that's not quite what I meant. What I was saying was that, in the middle of this poor economy, when many stallion owners have already dropped their stud fees to help accommodate Mare Owners and still offering discounts on top of that, I can't imagine going to one of them and asking them to drop the stud fee even further on top of that.

IMO if a stallion owner has already discounted their stud fee due to market conditions, as a kind of "economic stimulus" , then I think it would be a bit out there to ask for a further reduction by accepting CDN $ at par. If not...fair game I say. They can always decline. And I see Fairview's point about not applying it to booking fee or shipping fee. Those costs stay the same for the SO.

I am using a US stallion this year for the first time, but his stud fee was "on sale" when I booked so I would not have asked for a further discount. In the past I have done on farm AI or frozen, this will be a different experience for me. I am already a bit nervous about shipping issues and border crossings. My previous breedings entailed dropping off the mare and saying "call me when she's confirmed in foal and I will pick her up" That was a nice.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

If its already "on sale" then I would not ask for a further discount, I agree that it is rude. But really is there any harm in asking?

I'm really not sure how you got the idea that I was asking for further "at par" discounts off an already discounted fee. I simply asked for the names of stallion owners that offer Canadian $$'s at par.

And yes, I agree entirely with Fairview about the need for collection/shipping costs to stay in US currency because that is out of the stallion owners hands.

The smallest part of the expense in creating the foal is the stud fee. Rather than shop for the lowest stud fees, select a stallion based on the prospect of creating the foal of your dreams. Then make a list of stallions that compliment your mare, see if any of these guys are in the upcoming auctions, and see how the bidding goes. You may get a stallion share at a heavy discount from the list price.

Some stallion owners are advertising heavily discounted prices now.

The purchase of a stallion share has many factors to consider in pricing -- a discount for a performance mare or mare with special bloodlines. Or multiple mare discounts, or repeat breeding discounts. Young stallions need foal crops in order for the SO to learn about his best crosses.

There's no harm in asking but prepared to give information about yourself, your mare and your plans for the foal.

A contract for breeding is a business partnership on a small scale. The stallion owner needs to see benefit too -- not just another foal on the ground, but one that has a prospect for being a really good foal in a home with visibility or plans for competition, or a track record in the business.

I think it would be difficult to come up with a list of SO discounts that are available across the board. You need to negotiate with what you have to offer, too.

JMHO.

I'm NOT shopping for the lowest stud fee. Again, I have no idea where you would get that idea based on a question about which stallion owners offer an at par discount?

I always offer information on my mares up front, as well as what purpose I am breeding for and what my plans are for the youngster, stallion owners don't have to ask me because I've already told them in my first contact.

This is really no different then asking which stallion owners offer an early booking discount. I could quite easily make you a list of those. I was just trying to help other Canadians by letting them hear about stallions they may have considered out of their budget because of the exchange rate.

i think there is nothign wrong in asking what the rates are for canadian breeders. Alot of SO's in the states have the same price (either fund) some don't.

BUT i would be offended (though i know in my heart i shouldn't be) if i was asked for a cheaper rate because of an exchange rate.

Vice versa i've seen Canadian SO's have "American breeder rates" and "Canadian breeder rates" never hurts to ask if they have different rates. BUt i think that askig for a 'discounted fee' because your canadian ad the exchange rate is uncouth. .
    Qualified Saddle Fitter with the S.M.S.
    www.ravenwoodaussies.com

I think it's a good idea
    Last edited by busybee; Dec. 2, 2008 at 01:27 PM. Reason: spelling

I'll do it, it's a great idea. I really enjoy the Canadian breeders and want to make it feasible for them to shop for stallions in the US.
    www.grayfoxfarms.com Home of Redwine, Aloha, Federalist, Romantic Star and Rated R.