The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Leather Halter Help, Please!

So I am looking in to getting a leather halter with a nameplate, for a good friend for X-mas. I need help pricing things out!

I called one of my local tack stores and they dont have any halters cheaper than $50, and with a name plate it would be about $70 total. I really cant spend that much so I am trying to go a cheaper route.

I found this halter on e-bay, what do you think of it? I dont know much about leather halters, and what is good and bad.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/CLEARANCE-Leathe...1%7C240%3A1318

The horse I am getting it for is a Hanoverian, big boy, probably 16'3 or so.

any ideas for me? I dont really want to spend more than $60. (at most!)

thanks a bunch!

*We tolerate behaviors in human beings that would horrify us if we saw them in a horse.*
    R.I.P El Salvador*
    [COLOR="SlateGray"]

Quillin turnout halter: http://quillin.com/jshop/product.php...4d9e27b2e62e01

Warmblood, double crown, throat snap, name plate with one line: $45.45.

I don't know where you are in upstate NY but I know there are a lot of Amish in central NY & generally upstate. Either try to find an Amish harness shop or go with the advice to buy from Quillan. I would think that ebay halter probably comes from India & you should run the other way. The leather will be stiff & not very strong.

Nski.....that looks like the halter Dover has as one of their "bonus buys". If so, I have several of them and they oil up well and are very durable. Not top quality leather but fine for everyday use at the barn. If it is the same halter, they run fairly true to size.

Do yourself a ginormous favor and search the forums for more about Quillin Halters. GREAT deal. The pictures at Quillin.com absolutely do NOT do their product justice.

This is my Quillin sale halter (which, by the way, still looks like this after 2 years of daily use and hanging outside in all weather on the turnout gate):
    http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...y/IMG_4801.jpg

Even with all the options on that halter (english chin, double buckle, throat snap, two-line engraving, etc.), it's a big fat $57.45 + 99 cent shipping (99 cent shipping only if you order it today).

For the budget buyer, a kyhorse.com halter is also a steal of a deal. Their Turnout Halter can be had for $27 + $5 engraving + $5 shipping, for a total of $37. Their sale halter is around $48.

does Quillin have fast shipping?

eta:
    Do you think I should get warmblood size? I wouldnt say the horse's head is huge but im worried about getting one that wont fit.
    i may have a picture, let me see if i can dig it up.
    *We tolerate behaviors in human beings that would horrify us if we saw them in a horse.*
    R.I.P El Salvador*
    [COLOR="SlateGray"]

here is a pic, hes being a goof! but its all I have!
    http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...00474800agJGMZ
    R.I.P El Salvador*
    [COLOR="SlateGray"]

I have a Quillin's halter and it is very, very nice.
    Special Horses - equine volunteer to assist equines in need!
    www.specialhorses.org

The racetrack halter from here was absolutely beautiful. I think it was around $50 with a name plate.

http://www.pinkstons.com/halters.html

Exclamation Shipping 99 cents at Quillin's Dec 1st!

Ooh, Quillin's! Quillin's! Quillin's!

Shipping for orders placed TODAY (Dec 1st) at Quillin's is 99 cents!!! (jn4jenny, I just feel it bears repeating )

I found the "regular" size mare turnout halter to be a rather generous fit for my 16.1 TB gelding (who, by the way, we are NOT telling that he is wearing the "mare" turnout halter.)

Quote Originally Posted by Nski32 View Post

eta:
    Do you think I should get warmblood size? I wouldnt say the horse's head is huge but im worried about getting one that wont fit.
    i may have a picture, let me see if i can dig it up.
    There is extensive sizing info on the Quillin web site. They are also a family owned business and are super helpful on the phone; chances are that whomever answers the phone will have the last name "Quillin". They can probably tell you more about turnaround time.

i would have to go up and measure him for the size chart, and my friend is probably up there riding him right about now! Im afraid they will sell out if I take too much time.

Plus I want the 99cent shipping!!
    R.I.P El Salvador*
    [COLOR="SlateGray"]

Have to agree... Quillin is the way to go. LOVE MY HALTER.

i would have to go up and measure him for the size chart, and my friend is probably up there riding him right about now! Im afraid they will sell out if I take too much time.

Plus I want the 99cent shipping!!
    So get on the phone and call them.

They most certainly will not sell out. They custom make the halters themselves in their own factory, and they make them by the hundreds for the big Thoroughbred farms in Kentucky.

They were VERY helpful to my mom for my halter sizing. Even though I am a studly OTTB I wear a cob/yearling no 2 size! (But don't tell the warmbloods and drafts at my barn!)
    Special Horses - equine volunteer to assist equines in need!
    www.specialhorses.org

I just bought my kids the Perri's Track halter for about $45 online. great quality. they are cob size though.

I ordered nameplates for $10/ each.

well i just went to the barn to try and measure him, and of course my friend was there so I just did a "drive by".

im thinking about just getting a plain large. idk!
    R.I.P El Salvador*
    [COLOR="SlateGray"]

Well, I ordered an Average size. It should fit. I got double buckles and ajustable chin, so hopefully it will work well!
    R.I.P El Salvador*
    [COLOR="SlateGray"]

Unfortunately, no. I found them to be very slow, mainly because each halter is made as they receive the order, at least that is what they told me. Still, they make a good product at a very reasonable price so worth the wait IMO. Maybe with Christmas coming up they have a large pre-made supply?

I use Fennells halters. They are located in Lexington, on the Red Mile. Even their triple stitched show halters are around 48.00. I use them for every day. I have had mine for at least five years and they still look great. I have only had to replace the adjustable chin strap, as they love to play halter tag with those!! Check them out! They have less expensive ones too! Fennells.com