The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default COTH writer's group

I hope that this is okay to post here. I don't know where else I could have posted it.

Here's a list of interested people:

KayBee
    Pony4me
    Colliemom
    Didgery
    OnThinIce
    Vandy
    Lonewolf
    Scrtwh
    Kookicat

Editing only-

GoForAGallop
    Lcw579

How do you folks want to work this? Would me posting a list of what people write/want to crit and you PMing them directly work best? Anyone want to do it another way?

I'm willing to start by sending out the first few chapters of my novel to interested people.

If anyone want to join, it's not too late. Just shoot me a PM and I'll add you to the list.
    Last edited by kookicat; Dec. 1, 2008 at 01:24 PM.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I'm in, I've got a thriller that needs some editing from an outside source and would love to see what everybody else has working.

I'm not brave enough to share, but like I said on the Off Topic Day board, I'd be more than willing to edit some stuff....pretty fast turnaround, and I read all genres.

I'm not a writer, not brave enough. But I would be happy to read and edit anyone's work.

Added you all to the list. I knew that I'd missed people.

So how would you like to work it?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I have one book published and 2/3rds of a comic thriller in which the main characters have been sitting in a train station for, oh, about 10 years. I keep intending to finish it, and actually have the time now. Maybe after I reach my goal of becoming a COTH Advanced member, I'll do it.

Hello all, I have some stuff I might be interested in sharing...although a lot of it has already been professionally critiqued (workshops in college -- I was very lucky to have amazing (pulitzer prize winning) writers as professors).

Still, I'm sometimes more interested to see what normal (ok, that's a lie...we all know you guys are way above and beyond 'normal') people think. I haven't written (ok, I haven't COMPLETED) anything new since I graduated in May, but I do have somet stuff I never took to class.

But even more than that, I'd be more than willing/interested to read anything you guys have written! I'm always into reading new authors, etc. and I was an English major, so I do have a background in editing. Let me know if I can help with any of it!

On a side note...is there anybody here who used to post on the Towerheads boards a long time ago (read...about 8 years ago)? If so, you might remember something I could share
    "But always, to her, red and green cabbages were to be jade and Burgundy, crysoprase and porphyry. Life has no weapons against a woman like that." - Edna Ferber, So Big

Chronicle of MY Horse

I don't know if I actually have the time for this... I'm at the barn alot. But I am interested.
    "Uh, if you're going to try that, shouldn't you unplug it first?"

written a bit...not alot...yet....but I'm
    Interested

As far as organizing it, kooki, it's pretty easy- and free- to start a YahooGroup (yahoogroups.com).

The system lets members post stuff (i.e. manuscript files), you can set them to be private to group members only, and users can choose how they want to get info (individual emails, daily digests, or go check on the web when they're in the mood). Just a suggestion.

And to keep things HR, I'm trying to push through revising the last three chapters of a paranormal thriller manuscript so I can go ride, 'cause it's GORGEOUS outside today in New England! [Albeit a tad muddy... but we're only down one shoe out of sixteen so far, and that one bit the dust whilst Mr. GAFCT was hunting.]

I kinda sorta write...I missed OT day, can somebody clue me in what this thread's for?

I'm afraid I wouldn't be doing a whole lot of sharing [finally broke through my block and am writing like crazy], but I would be more than willing to do some reading.

Well, I would maybe possibly but not probably share a little.

Blackwatch, I am far from 'normal'. How many teens do you know who are writing crime thrillers and dislike other teens?
    Rebel Without Cash!

I just finished (well, is a book ever really finished?) a kids' story about a pony. I'd love to have some kind-hearted feedback before tackling the Big Wide World of publishers. Can I join the list?
    Click here before you buy.

I would be game for editing and maybe a bit of sharing. I am a bit shy after all.
    If someone sets up the yahoo group I would love to join.
    "Half the failures in life result from pulling in one's horse when it is leaping."

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=eca0d15457

Quote Originally Posted by GoneAwayFarmCT View Post
    As far as organizing it, kooki, it's pretty easy- and free- to start a YahooGroup (yahoogroups.com).

The system lets members post stuff (i.e. manuscript files), you can set them to be private to group members only, and users can choose how they want to get info (individual emails, daily digests, or go check on the web when they're in the mood). Just a suggestion.

And to keep things HR, I'm trying to push through revising the last three chapters of a paranormal thriller manuscript so I can go ride, 'cause it's GORGEOUS outside today in New England! [Albeit a tad muddy... but we're only down one shoe out of sixteen so far, and that one bit the dust whilst Mr. GAFCT was hunting.]

I second the yahoogroups idea. Very easy to set up and join/manage files, etc.

Me, I'd like to start in on a horsey-themed romance novel. Also can/will read any genre.

I would participate too. Most of my stuff is non-fiction, but I need to start playing around with fiction as well.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

I'd love to join too, nothing published nothing written recently, but I have a couple of ideas knocking around. I'd love to read other's works though, and maybe actually write some of my own.....

Yahoo groups works well for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by GoneAwayFarmCT View Post

Google Documents also has a cool system, where you post a documents and then invite people to look at it. They can make suggestions directly in the text and it shows which people made which changes. It's good for collaborative efforts.

I don't even know how to approach this, so I'll just say it. Make sure you can prove who wrote what when. Perhaps a central storage that keeps a copy bore its sent out to really nice but sometimes total strangers on the internet?

Even my paltry computer can send e-mails from any date I chose and re-date files.

Just saying

Glad I checked the board today; this is the first I've heard of this! I'm a full time freelancer and just wrote my fourth book during NaNoWriMo. I had a contract to publish a couple of them but backed out and am looking elsewhere. I also copyedit for a small publishing house.
    Jennifer Walker
    Proud owner of Capt Han Solo+, Arabian stallion http://www.capthansolo.com
    Author, freelance writer http://www.authorjennwalker.com