The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is Smartpak really cheaper with the shipping...

I am thinking of buying the buckets b/c the shipping is making me crazy!
    “If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?”
    ? Rumi

I just went and answered my own question. It is cheaper to buy the big bucket esp since they don't charge FOB.
    “If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?”
    ? Rumi

Smartpak isn't only about price. Convenience is a factor, too. If you are in a boarding barn, or have to ask others to feed your horses occasionally (often), then the Smartpak format can be a big help. Also, big buckets may be cheaper, but unless you're feeding enough horses to use them fairly quickly, you either end up repackaging to prevent opening the big bucket all of the time (exposing the supp to air and risking oxidation or other spoilage) or just having the supp lose some potency.

Also, since the Smartpak shipping isn't based on price or volume, if you order other stuff from them, it can end up being pretty much of a bargain.

Lots of things to consider.

And the customer service is off-the-scale nice!
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

I don't think SmartPaks are ever cheaper than scooping from buckets. Their prices are usually comparable before shipping (and sometimes comparable after, since most places you buy buckets charge shipping too). Smartpaks win in the convenience department... and are really the only way to go in a boarding situation, or if you have multiple horses getting multiple different supplements, IMO. That being said, I'm going to try a switch back to buckets... I have 2 horses (at home) getting the same hoof and joint supplements, and I found a single pelleted supplement (rather than the powder in their Smartpaks) that seems comparable for them. It's not going to be less expensive, but I think it may be easier for me, and I prefer the pellets, should be less waste and mixing for me.

I feed the supplement Succeed. Because of the consisrancy of the product, one needs to be careful when measuring it. In a training barn, with more than one person preparing the feeds, it is cheaper to use SmartPak. Peg

If you really want to find out what is cheaper, look around at other places for different sizes of buckets. Smartpak does not carry the largest size of every supplement. Figure out the per-horse cost, or how many servings you're going to get per bucket. I do this for everything, and I've rarely found Smartpak to be cheaper over, say, Valley Vet including shipping.

I hope all you Smartpak users are recycling the little cups they send stuff in? PLEASE?????
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

I used to use valley vet but the shipping charges got crazy plus if you didn't spend over $50 you got hit up with a surcharge. I use smart pack to by my bucket of supplements now. I save myself over $15 buckets that way.
    I want to be like Barbie because that bitch has everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
    I used to use valley vet but the shipping charges got crazy plus if you didn't spend over $50 you got hit up with a surcharge. I use smart pack to by my bucket of supplements now. I save myself over $15 buckets that way.
    Yep, the freight when I ordered through Jeffers was hideous. It's fine if you need several things, but just ordering one bucket of supplements that's tacking on an additional $10 right off the bat. I just place my first order through Smartpak last week. If they had the one extra supplement I need they could have gotten all of my business.

And when smartpack runs their free shipping, which ends on the 3rd, just checked the banner, it is a good time to get the buckets!!
    Last edited by Puddin Pie; Dec. 1, 2008 at 09:16 PM. Reason: time change
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

I find that ordering bucketed supplements from KVVet is the best value for my money. Sometimes I can order 2 smaller containers and avoid FOB shipping costs.

I agree with those who feed a high-priced supplement and are at boarding barns and need the most accurate and accountable methods of supplementing their horses. SmartPak is the best for those situations.

Since I keep mine at home, I simpy re-use the dozens of supp buckets to set up a week's worth of feed with required supps. I also use spice bottles to pre package my own daily doses. I recycle over, and over, and over, again by using containers with screw on lids.

Another wonderful thing about KV Vet is how they package and ship. Items are taped closed, placed in plastic bags if necessary, packing is an absolute minimum and NO styrofoam peanuts. I LOVE LOVE LOVE KV Vet shipping department.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Quote Originally Posted by gabz View Post
    Another wonderful thing about KV Vet is how they package and ship. Items are taped closed, placed in plastic bags if necessary, packing is an absolute minimum and NO styrofoam peanuts.
    Smartpak does the same thing, and now that you can buy in buckets I have found that their prices are very competitive, and you can't beat the customer service. Occasionally i end up with too many supplements stockpiling up, I just call, have them suspend the order for a cycle or two, and not a problem.

I used to do the individual servings when I was in the boarding barn, which ensured that he was getting his supplements every day, now that they are at home, I can monitor myself.

I use Smartpak, KV Vet and Valley Vet. Customer service at all three has been great for us, and when buying in large containers, sometimes the others come in lower in price than Smartpak even with the shipping charges added in. I am a big comparison shopper, so if one comes in $5 lower than the other at any of these three places, I go in that direction.