The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default APHA People - Registration Transfer Help

Looking for anyone who is APHA-literate when it comes to transfering ownership.

A friend has a horse who's certificate appears to not be updated. The certificate is confusing to me, as I am not familiar with this registry. She wants to sell the horse at the Paint sale, and needs a Transfer Certificate to do so. She is not listed as the owner, and it appears that the horse has gone through a few owners between her and the last listed.

How to proceed? More info can be provided, if needed.

TIA!

Who ever is the last listed owner on the papers has to sign the transfer to be able to get the papers into another persons name.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

There is a form on the APHA website. It will explain what to do. Print that form out.
    You may have to email APHA and have them email you the forms if you can't access them on the site.

The owner of record (should be on a little sticker on the actual papers near the bottom) has to fill that out, send in with the requested documentation and some $$ with the original papers, and the APHA will transfer everything and send the papers back with a new sticker with the new owners info.
    Now whether or not the last owner of record will do it since the horse has been passed around some in between remains to be seen, if you can find those people.
    I know on the sticker on my paint mare's papers it has my address so you could google them or send them a letter.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Ok - on the back of the papers the seller is listed as the breeder - their name is typed on it. Then there is another handwritten name underneath that, with the date of the sale, address, etc. Everything but the buyers APHA ID.

Were the papers supposed to be mailed back for this handwritten owner's name to be placed on them officially??

The next problem is that I'm not sure if the current owner purchased this horse from that owner - there might have been someone in between, but not sure.

My mare's papers are in the firesafe downstairs, I'll have to get them out tomorrow and look at the back. I can't find the key right now or I would get them now. On the bottom of the front side it has a couple of little sticker strips that list the previous owners, each time they got sent in APHA stuck a new sticker on it and sent it back to the new owner.
    How old is the horse? Your papers might be different from mine.
    Go to the APHA website and look at what it says. It says something on there about when the horse is sold the seller is supposed to complete the transfer paperwork and send it in with the $$ etc and the papers will be sent to the new owner.. Both parties have to sign the transfer form or the APHA wont accept it. I would imagine if you can get whomever is on the papers to complete everything and send it in that APHA wouldn't know the difference, but the trick will be getting that other person to sign everything when there have been other owners etc.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Horse is 5. There are no stickers on his papers anywhere. Methinks that they were never transfered from the first owner, I'm afraid.

ok I found the key and got my mares papers out. These were issued when she was born in 1999, so maybe the form has changed in subsequent years. There is nothing on the back except a printed Notice about what the different categories are of paint registration. There are no spaces provided to write anything either like there are on TB papers.
    On the front it lists all the info about the breeder owner etc etc etc. and on the bottom are the three little stickers from each time ownership was transferred.
    When I bought my mare, we printed the form off the website, followed the instructions on it and sent it in. I got the original papers back from APHA within about 2 weeks, but there was a provision to have it expedited for an additional fee, of course.
    So I would suggest that you start trying to get in contact with whomever is listed on the papers, and print that form. Then go from there. Hopefully that person will agree to sign the paperwork and you can get your little packet together and send it in.
    You can always email APHA if you have questions.

www.apha.com
    the phone number for forms requests during working hours is 817-834-APHA x261, 24/7 is x271, although I just printed it off the website, I think you still can
    on line registration is x793, general registration info is x788
    hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Personal Champ View Post
    Were the papers supposed to be mailed back for this handwritten owner's name to be placed on them officially??

The next problem is that I'm not sure if the current owner purchased this horse from that owner - there might have been someone in between, but not sure.
    Yes they should have been sent in to be transferred officially. THe little stickers on mine have the owners name, city and state and apha id. I don't know if APHA recognizes the handwritten stuff but I kinda doubt it.

When I bought my paint he hadn't been transferred to the people I bought him from.I called the association and they just told me to put the date I bought him and sign it.No problem....got the papers in proper order.Call them,they are great to deal with.

Yeah there are no stickers or anything. I have a signature on the transfer form from the 1st transfer, but he never got an ID number, or at least it's not on the papers themselves.

Shalomypony, how long did it take your horse's papers to get in order? This sounds like what she may have to do, and it's good to know that you had a positive experience doing the same type of thing.

Just call the APHA. They're really nice and helpful on the phone.
    Aren't these lovely... Designer Browbands You know you want one!

Call the APHA they are really easy to work with and very helpful. On my paint's papers (she is 5 too) everything on the front is typed, when I purchased her the former owner signed the back and I sent the papers in, they sent me a new set with everything typed, so it sounds as if nothing was ever sent in originally.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA/ PtHA Mare

I believe there is supposed to be a verified trail from one owner to the next -- for example, when I bought a Paint for resale, I had to change her papers into my name so I could then legitimately give them to the new owner. Now this might be different if original owner had been local or inclined to do a favor -- mine was in Canada and it was like pulling teeth, so I of course didn't want to dump that chore on someone down the line from me.

It might be over now but I *think* that the APHA was doing some sort of amnesty offer whereby you could register a horse without having the solid line from owner to owner. I agree with all who say to call them... they generally go out of their way to be accommodating.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

When I got my paint in '03 she came with coggins, registration papers (last recorded owner was from '98), and a transfer paper (filled out/signed by the last recorded owner).
    I made an error willing out my part of the transfer papers, so APHA rejected them (you're not allowed to cross out/white out anything). They sent me another blank form. Within the same year I got her, she'd had 2 owners who never had her transfered to them (the guy who sold her to me, and the people he got her from), so I had no clue how many hands she'd passed through between 1998 and 2002.
    I got the last registered owner's address from APHA and sent the blank transfer form & a letter to the person. I mailed it to California, and the the partially-completed form came back to me from an Oklahoma address. I guess I'm fortunate that the person either had 2 residences, or left a forwarding address. If the breeder was the last (or only) recorded owner of the horse you could contact them. In my case, I purchased the horse from one person, but transfer records were from someone else.
    I sent in the "new" transfer papers and the registration papers. They put a strip of paper at the bottom of the reg. papers with my name, apha # (I don't remember if I had to join to do the ownership change), and some APHA official's signature. The strip was just glued on below the last recorded owner before being mailed back to me.

There was space at the bottom of the papers for 5 owners. When the 5 spots were filled, the next person to try to transfer the horse to them would have to provide updated photos and new reg. papers would be made. My horse's papers were done in 1998 when she was 4 years old, so I wonder if she either had more then 5 owners before turning 4, or if someone lost her papers and had to have them redone (with new photos) in 1998. She's breeding stock, so maybe her papers are laid out differently then "regular" APHA?

I called APHA and they are only charging 1 transfer fee for multiple owners, as long as you have the transfer paper with the former owner's signature.

So, anyone who has a Paint with multiple unfinished transfers, do it now!!

Default APHA/AQHA Transfer Protocol

For those of you who are buying APHA or AQHA horses for the first time, the transfer of registration papers is not like the Jockey Club (where you just sign the papers.)

When you buy a paint or QH, first be sure the markings on the horse match the registration papers. Then make sure the last RECORDED owner is the person you are dealing with. If it's the same person, then just have them fill out and sign the Official Transfer Report.

APHA: http://www.apha.com/forms/PDFFiles/05TransferReport.pdf
    AQHA: http://www.aqha.com/forms/pdf/TransferReport_408.pdf

http://www.apha.com/forms/PDFFiles/howtransfer.html

If it is NOT the same person, ask if they have a SIGNED Transfer Report from the LAST Recorded Owner. If YES, then take that one in ADDITION to the new Transfer Report with THEIR name signing the horse over to you. Send BOTH in.

If it is NOT the same person and they do NOT have a signed Transfer Report, you will have to contact APHA/AQHA, get the last reported address of the last Recorded Owner, then track them down and get them to sign the horse's Transfer Report to YOU.

APHA and AQHA will not transfer papers without the LAST RECORDED Owner signing the Transfer Report to the current buyer.

For those who don't think it's important to transfer the horse's papers into your name "Because I don't show APHA or AQHA" it IS important you transfer papers so the breed association can keep it's records updated with the horse's current owners, the breeder can track their horses, and with APHA, they offer "PAC" Paint Alternative Competition points where your horse CAN earn points, awards and year end awards by showing open circuit shows! USEF, USDF, USCTA, USPC are all approved PAC events!

http://www.apha.com/pac/index.html
    http://www.apha.com/pac/pacevents.html

While we generally don't give a lick about TB papers unless we plan on breeding a mare, the APHA and AQHA breeders and horses base 100% of it's value on having those papers. If you don't have their papers, you can not show them or register their offspring with APHA/AQHA, and you have lost two big avenues of potential income for future sales. If your horse is Incentive Fund enrolled, you will get CASH BACK at the end of each year by showing in AQHA shows and earning lifetime points! So while we generally poo poo "breed" horses/ "breed" circuit on the H/J circuit, you CAN get money BACK by showing the breed circuit, you can INCREASE the value of your horse by accumulating points through the breed association, and can even go to the World Show which offer hunter and jumper classes and will increase your horse's value drammatically if you place in the Top Ten!

Anyway - that's how you transfer papers, and I urge those of you who have your papers sitting in a desk drawer to go transfer your horse's papers, and try a breed show. The QH/Paint hunters of today aren't your grandad's 14 hand bulldog ponies - they are 17h+ daisy cutting sweepy movers! You'd be amazed! IMO they ARE the TRUE American Warmbloods!