The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mystery solved: spitting up blood (also salt recomm.)

For anyone who remembers my panic-stricken post a month ago about my horse spitting up blood... vet came out (emergency, of course) and couldn't find anything... next day had his teeth floated and the vet found a cracked tooth. Could not for the life of me figure out how my horse managed to chip a whole section off his tooth.

He tried to eat his freaking Himalayan salt rock. As in ROCK. BO found a separated sliver of it in the corner of his stall the other day. It was already worn down to a tiny loop, and apparently he decided it was like those candy necklaces--once you suck on 'em for a while, they're edible. This is the same horse who tried to eat the Christmas tree, the St. Patrick's Day shamrocks, his first show ribbon and the little wooden running horse decoration on his stall. Silly pony. So I'm debating getting him another Himalayan rock, because I like those better than the regular salt blocks, and hoping he's learned his lesson; or splurging on the crazy amount of money to get giant tubs of Dynamite loose salt/minerals, because I do like their ingredients. Anyone know of any other good loose salt/mineral combinations with healthy ingredients?

In the meantime he has one of those Tractor Supply horse mineral blocks, with selenium, flavoured like apple--so he has been gnawing happily away at that, since it breaks when he bites in...

Default Hay

Can I say something? Something I noticed...I bought one of those Himilayian salt blocks and had that in the stall. Then when winter arrived, I thought I would get a plain salt block in addition. So he now has both in his stall...Well, the next day, that white salt lick was licked down quite a bit.

I wonder if there is something in those Himilayian salts that initially the horses love but then they don't want. I would actually now have both licks for them to choose from...
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

I'd love to hear more experiences with the Himalayan salt rocks. I just got one, expected the nice round cores on strings shown in the photo, instead got a huge pink boulder.

At first my horse was afraid of it. Now it's in his feed bin and he's clearly been moving it around but I don't even know if he's licking it.

Sam loved his Himalayan block (apparently too much). It was down to just a nub when he chomped into it. I actually got it because of its hardness--he likes trying to eat things in general and demolishes an ordinary salt block pretty quickly. They're so hard it's hard to tell if they're being licked at first, though when they start to get whittled down they go faster, it seems.

For pity's sake, you've just told us that the horse fractured a tooth on the damn stuff--what makes it so majickal that you'd contemplate letting him do it again?

No, he hasn't "learned his lesson".
    He's a horse.
    He hasn't got the mental apparatus to make the connection.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

So, did you have an actual helpful contribution to add, Ghazzu?

I said that while I preferred the Himalayan ones to the regular salt blocks, I was questioning whether this was a fluke accident or not. Horses are capable of running into an electric fence, going "Oh crap, that hurt," and avoiding it in the future; I don't know whether a horse can also bite into something, go "Oh crap, that hurt," and avoid it in the future. Nobody said anything about the "majickal" properties of Himalayan salt licks vs. regular salt licks, and since I've never heard of another horse managing to injure himself on a salt block advertised as being too hard to chew on, I don't think it's much of a stretch to at least wonder if it's likely to happen again or if it were merely an accident.

That being said, I also said that I would prefer to find a loose salt/mineral combination, and asked for suggestions. So, what do you suggest?

I would think that a horse could actually fracture his tooth on any salt block if he was biting down hard enough. It could have been a fluke.

Fluke or not I'd remove the possibility of a second occurance for safety's sake. Not all horses make the "cause and effect" connection and you've already stated that he will continue to try to chew up inedible hard things despite past failures.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

You know, you can go to the feed store and buy a bag of Morton's loose white salt (just like table salt) for $10.00 and it's a 50 pound bag. You can feed it in those little mineral feeders that attach to the wall. Unless of course you have horses like mine who feel the need to poop in them. *sigh* so I put the salt in one of those small feed pans and they lick it out of that, until Cricket grabs it and flings it, so I only put a little in at a time. Or you can buy Redmonds salt which is also a loose salt.

I tried those silly pink blocks and they were gone in no time.
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

Ah, that's a good idea regarding the bulk table salt... fortunately, my horse may be silly enough to like eating random things, but he decided after pooping in his bucket once that there really was no advantage to that, so I think he'd be okay with the mineral feeders. (:

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    Ah, that's a good idea regarding the bulk table salt... fortunately, my horse may be silly enough to like eating random things, but he decided after pooping in his bucket once that there really was no advantage to that, so I think he'd be okay with the mineral feeders. (:
    Unless he starts chowing down on mineral laden blocks. Selenium poisoning ain't pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Unless he starts chowing down on mineral laden blocks. Selenium poisoning ain't pretty.
    Yeah, that's why I don't want to use the regular blocks. He eats them so quickly I worry about the content, because I can't imagine that even the plain salt ones are good to eat that much of quickly. The Himalayan ones slowed him down a lot until this accident, but I'm hoping that loose minerals/salt will work without the fascination of biting things. (:

I wish I could get my horses to show that much interest in any kind of salt blocks! I have to DUST one of my horses' salt blocks (he has a choice of three kinds, in case it's an aversion to one particular type). I think I would go to loose salt with one like yours; it's just not worth the risk of injuring another tooth, plus he sounds like he's more interested in chewing something up than getting salt, and he probably doesn't need as much salt as he's getting using the blocks as chew toys.

Both my guys really like the himilayan blocks, but it is in the stall in the barn, and they live out, so they each have access to it twice a week or so. Usually they poop, check for hay and grain, sniff the water bucket then go at the salt ring for about 10 minutes. I'm putting up eye hooks in their run in so they can each have an individual one outside in the future- some horses do get obsessive, about licking or chewing etc. In that case I would NOT think a free choice salt lick the best plan for your horse.
    Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

I have a natural salt block on a rope that my horse can lick, but he seems to prefer the lose sea salt instead I found

I just put a little Morton's Lite Salt in my horse's AM vitamin container. She has one of those mineral blocks on the wall of her stall, but doesn't seem to bother with it at all.
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

You could try Redmond salt by Advanced Biological Concepts.
    It is a loose mineral salt, that you can get on either smartpak or KV vet
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ductclassid=85

You would need a mineral feeder, as it is loose.
    My horses ate it in a slow and methodical way, and no broken teeth
    "Half the failures in life result from pulling in one's horse when it is leaping."

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=eca0d15457