The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation PLEASE HELP! I need a cure for my very very bored horse!

So my horse is on stall rest for a month or two (at least) longer and any ways he is bored. He has chewed on wood, nearly deystroyed a wheel barrels tire, tried to pull hay bails into his stall, chew on anything he can reach and thrown things everywhere. And now he has broken a plexi glass window!

I am at my breaking point with him! I not only want him not to get hurt but I don't want him to destroy the entire barn!

He doesn't play with the plain stall balls. His favorite thigns are lead ropes halters, and anything else he isnt supposed to get his mouth on. I am so tempted just to through some halters and lead ropes in his stall for him but I forsee that he will definatly get all tangled up in those.

I think I will bring up old eskadrons or something and just let him chew on those (he loved doing that when I used to ride him).

I have been wary to try likits as he was very prone to colic for a while, but at this point I am willing to try anything!

PLEASE HELP

Thank you

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Does he have company in the barn with him? My gelding was on two weeks of stall rest and cannot eat hay (colic surgery rehab - long story), so I rotated my other two horses every other hour to babysit with him. It also helped that he had to be hand grazed every other hour (yes, he can eat grass and complete feed just not hay), so he was getting out of his stall.

Can your horse be hand walked or is this complete stall rest?

I bought a Likit - not one of the horses will touch it .

As to stall toys, the trick is to rotate them, they get bored with a toy (just like children) and are more amused with a new one every day.

I had a friend that put empty plastic soda bottles in the stall with his horse, the gelding liked to "destroy" them, and at least he was not destroying the barn!

He ussually has company in there with him and now he has a horse beside him. Unfortuneatly he is a maniac for handwalking and especially with there being ice (Oh how I love Canadian Winters) he cannot be handwalked.

I will try some of these things out and pray something works.

I am SO not one of these people, but...clicker training. It really helped my gelding get through months and months of stall rest for a fractured shoulder. It was something that really was able to engage his brain without leaving his stall. I found this book very useful.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Just found an interesting article by doing a google search, some alternative ideas for stall toys and ways to alleviate stall boredom:

http://www.todayshorse.com/Articles/...nteresting.htm

Also, I saw these at the QH Congress and thought they were a good idea:

http://www.horseplayproducts.com/

One more site with some other horse toys:

http://inventorspot.com/articles/hor...rseplay_c_6563

You may want to discuss with your vet about putting the horse on a long acting tranquilizer.
    Copyright ©2007-2012, Percheron X
    My creative work may be used on the COTH forum only.

I like to give my rehabbers a *day stall* and a *night stall*
    They get "turned out" into a different stall during the day. It really helps break the routine.

The layup stall has a dutch door on the back. I put a horse in the attached paddock and the two can visit and groom each other (supervised, usually) while I clean.

A hay net with tiny openings is good, too. You can find them in the Dover catalog.

I feel for you --- my horse fractured his pelvis and is on a 6-8 month layup now. We are only 2 weeks into it. The day stall/night stall thing really helps him.

It's the right time of year for "Beet Pulpsickles!" For my horses that are stuck inside for various reasons, I take a water bucket, spray it with PAM, fill it half way full with beet pulp or alfalfa cubes. Fill it to the top with water stir it up until well mixed, leave it outside over night to freeze solid, dump it out into a rubber feed tub, and put it in his stall - it will take him all day to eat it - YUM! He won't be able to leave it alone - YUM!

Since you're desperate... my guy LOVED empty milk jugs to play with when he was on stall rest - and they're cheap; just tie them up with baling twine and you're good to go. If you want to make it really funny, put a few of his favorite treats inside...

I second, or third the Uncle Jimmy's, too. Didn't have them when the horse was on stall rest, but got one last winter and it was HILARIOUS to watch - hang it somewhere where he can't pin it against the wall. Lasts forever, too...
    "This thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down" - Mary Pickford

I feel for you. My gelding has basically been on stall rest since may. He spends most of his time outside in a 12x14 and he is bored to death. He gets walking but only 20 minutes, vet said to add 5 more minutes every two weeks. My gelding stands by the door and claws & bangs the wall with his foot, I am afaird he is going to injure his foot. If I turn him out even in 20x20 he runs like a nut. I hand walk him with a big dose of ace. It helps alittle. I wish I could fast foward to recheck in January when I hopefully progress to mounted walk which is easier.

Best luck, Stall rest is hard!

I had a horse on stall rest for 7 months.
    Poor thing was horribly bored.
    He is a good horse and was able to stay in his stall with just a stall guard up, so I hung a pony pop in the door where he couldn't pin it against the wall and really go at it.
    I also bought a small holed hay bag and put his day hay in that. It would take him all day to eat that hay.
    I tried to mix it up a bit, hang the pony pop some days and not others, use the hay bag only during the day.

Bottom line is stall rest is hard.
    "Half the failures in life result from pulling in one's horse when it is leaping."

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=eca0d15457

A potentially cheaper alternative to the treat balls is a large swede with a hole bored through it and a rope made out of baling twine. Same principle, you hang it in the stall and let the horse enjoy trying to eat it.