The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Does anyone compete a horse with a roached mane?

I'm curious if anyone compete's a horse with a roached mane and if so, what discipline?

I roached my TB's mane today because it was so encrusted in mud it was like cement. I was pleased at how handsome he looked and thought I might keep it that way, but don't recall seeing horses compete in either hunters or eventing.

Well we need pictures!!!!
    I just did mine for the first time.. I rather enjoy it!
    Zook Suit Riot- Mustang/Paint Gelding
    Proud member of the KELTON'S Crew
    CousinVinsky-Skinny Vinny JockeyClub/Alydar Grandson.Gelding Chestnut.
    CUnex2zdai- 2008 Buttermilk Buckskin Colt -ABHA/IBHA

This is my "little" draft cross BN event prospect. I used to roach her, but I've managed to tame the frizzy mane beast and she looks absolutely stunning braided. But, come summer I may roach her again. However I do love to grab mane over jumps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Donida_schooling 026.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	168.9 KB 
ID:	23230  

Well here's a picture of him
    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...z/100_3444.jpg

I had to cut the mane off with scissors, planned on finishing it with the clippers. But the clippers didn't work so the whole thing is a scissor job.

I think of the time and money to be saved in braiding for shows by keeping his mane roached

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

He definitely has the neck to carry it off. What a cutie!

I showed my guy First Level (dressage) roached.
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/...warmuptrot.jpg
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/...w/softwalk.jpg
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/...w/DSC06457.jpg

The best thing I learned is it does grow back. If I roach by mid-Sept, Oct1 by the latest, I have braidable mane by May.

The Portuguese roach EVERYTHIGN on young horses, and broodmares. The hair grows back more evenly, and semingly thicker because it's all the same length. I've been sooooo tempted, several times, to do my Colonial Spanish filly. She has SO MUCH HAIR for her size!
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

easyklc...I'm loving your horse...large pony? You can't get any more cool than a pink horse. He's a handsome bugger too.
    CrazyGreyHorse...darned good job with scissors alone! I can muck up a roach job with clippers...don't even want to think what I would do with scissors, LOL!
    What do you compete in? I'm not sure what the current fashions are with roaches...but back years ago I used to compete my (also grey) mare with a roached mane all the time. She had w-a-y too much mane to even attempt thinning and braiding and I really stink at thinning, pulling and braiding. I roached her one year and never looked back...she grew it back in for winter (we didn't compete in winter) and I roached it every early spring. Made her cooler in summer too. And she looked *so* much better roached. I competed in jumpers. But there were a few roached manes in hunters then too. I've always liked the looks of a roached mane, on many horses it just enhances their good looks IMO. I think your grey looks good with a roach.
    PintoPiaffe...your guy looks great too! The roach really shows off his neck and his cute head.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

easyklc and pintopiaffe - love the roached manes - both your horses carry the look well.

mistyblue: I've shown hunters in the past, but James doesn't really 'like' hunters. He's a bit too expressive with his tail and ears. I think we're going to venture into eventing this year. He loves cross country. I just have to make him think he loves dressage

LOL, he sounds a bit like my original Misty Blue. (she of the roached mane back in my youth) I started out in hunters with her...but hunters with really speedy gaits and perpetually pinned ears snapping at the other horses don't do so well in hunters. We moved to jumpers and both adored it...that fat little app pony (yep, an app with too much mane, go figure) could maneuver like an eel around even the tightest courses and jumped like crazy. Some day I hope to find another psychotic little horse/large pony just like her.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Some day I hope to find another psychotic little horse/large pony just like her.
    That's what I breed. Well, except for the psychotic part. Big little horses. Or little big horses. Or... whatever. But MAN they are fun, no? My guy in those photos is just 14.3. I've lost another 30lbs since those... my goal is for no one to ever say I'm too big for him. (reached goal #1 which was to fit into an off-the-shelf-shad by the time we are ready. Got the shad, not quite there yet. )

Anyway, I digress. I just adore cobs though, and had to inject that.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

hey, good for you on the weight loss! Although I don't think you look too big for your horse, he's cobby built. My Misty was 14.2 hh and almost 1200 lbs. She had a butt like Aretha Franklin but it housed one helluva engine.
    And yeppers....I ADORE short, large built speedy little horses. Many people assume all cob types are slow, plodding and have jack-hammer trots. Not true! My late mare Galopin was the "ideal" type WB...17hh and huge mover. She was fun to ride, don't get me wrong. But I grinned a lot more riding her companion Petey...14.3hh stocky little QH with more go than a rocket. I find the difference between the oversized but popular horses and the shorties similar to driving a limo and a sports car. Sure the limo has a luxury ride but there's not a lot it can handle. Give me the BMW handling cob any day.
    Glad to know I'm not the only short-horse lover.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

My daughter wants to ride the little big horses or big little horses, but she's going to take after me in height. I'm 5'11.....she is 5'4 and wears a size 10 shoe at 12 yo - she's all legs.

Mistyblue - I don't think James could be a jumper - I don't think I could get him to move fast enough. He has the most beautiful cadenced canter - but he's a tail wringer. It flips and swishes, grrrr.

Well, while speed is fun it isn't as necessary as you think in jumpers. Precision and maneuverability are far more important than speed.
    If he's careful and agile he'd probably do fine. It's usually the combination of the unusual turns, different adjustable distances and different jump types that catches people up between hunters and jumpers.
    Some day enter a lower class at a show for fun...see how both of you like it. One horse I used to show jumpers was pretty pokey...I'd joke that I could hop off and run faster, LOL! And he did a bang-up job on the courses...bold as brass and maneuverable as a snake. I could make up for his lack of speed with his maneuverability. Jumper classes are fun...like a fun obstacle or agility course. (remembering the courses isn't always easy though...I got lost a time or two, LOL)
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Thanks Misty! I am madly in love with her. She's a 15.2 Belgian/QH cross. She's pink indeed in the summer and when I clip her. She also has a very impressive full blonde and red tail. And the sweetest temperament ever.

Very handsome! Great job with the scissors. If I tried that I'd give you all a good laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by crazy gray horse View Post
    Well here's a picture of him
    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...z/100_3444.jpg

I had to cut the mane off with scissors, planned on finishing it with the clippers. But the clippers didn't work so the whole thing is a scissor job.

I think of the time and money to be saved in braiding for shows by keeping his mane roached

Oops, sorry easyklc for calling your mare a he. She is indeed adorable...I really like her. My daughter who's not even horsey would adore it if we had a pink horse. (can you believe the fates blessed me with THREE daughters who NONE like horses or riding????)
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Here's Gus. We haven't competed in a year, but typically show in dressage. Love the sans braids. Way easier . Plus, when's he's muscled up, he looks really nice roached. This photo was taken back in October, after being outta work for nearly 6 months. So, like no topline and a ewe neck .

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...FQ4uUPHNbGKSgw
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

appychik - Gus is cute....I'm really liking the roached look.

And the easyness appeals to me a great deal. The only sad thing is that James' mane is a beautiful silver - not gray - but silver color, and truthfully it's neither too thick nor too thin but juuuussst right for braiding. But I'd rather not braid than braid

misty blue - James is quite adjustable - he rates very easily. He does listen to me. So jumpers may be a good fit. We'll have to give a class or two a try in the spring.