The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Very bad season :-(

I have never had anything like that !

First weeks to wait for the first heat after foaling. Than a beautiful nice big follicle, Insemination really on the spot. Nothing. Inseminated again, different stallion (Don't ask). Follicle not really good. Still in wait for check.

Number two: Good follicle, insemination also on the spot, nothing. Is going to going to be short cycled now.

Number three sort of does not get at all into heat ! Will also try to stimulate her.
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
    Filly Londontime - Sandro Hit - Rouletto
    http://youtu.be/1O23BeiKpkY

Unhappy

Sounds like the year I am having as well
    Horse#1` doubles ovulates gives 2 embryos only 1 makes it
    second cycle same thing- double ovulation, 1 makes it but is gone at 28 days so net result nothing
    Horse #2 Beatiful cycle follicle, semen looks super, perfect timing nothing
    second attempt same stallion- nothing same follicle wonderful timing and semen
    third attempt- wonderful timing and great follicle, different semen-not as good as first- nothing
    Mare #3 first cycle bred on good follicle, good semen, grade 3 embryo did not make it
    second cylcle with different stallion andallowed to carry6, waiting for preg check end of next week
    Mare #4 good cycle, timing and pregnant
    Mare # 5 is going anovulatory, brining up follicles b ut not ovulating
    Mare #6 does not involute well but bred on 28 day heat with wonderful semen and is pregnant
    Mare #7 was just bred Thursday with very good semen and timing, but having fluid. in the wait period for the next 2 weeks.

Breeding and foaling this year is abnormaly bad
    Maryanna Haymon- Marydell Farm - Home to Don Principe & Doctor Wendell MF
    www.marydellfarm.com
    2012 USDF Champion Breeder! 2007, 2011 USEF Champ Breeder
    2009,2010,2011 USDF Res Breeder of the Year!

So far - touch wood - we are at about 95-98% success with live cover and shipped semen breedngs for my stallion and for the outside stallion I am collecting for as well

But I do agree its been a nutty year. Mares hanging onto follicles until they get huge, so if you dont follow them through to ovulation, you may well have bred too early. Multiple follicles, mares not teasing one iota even though the vet says they are a breed today based on U/S findings. Mares being receptive for live covers for about 2 minutes and if you blink and miss it, thats it

I am SO fortunate that my stallion gets parked in his paddock right beside the mares we are watching so no matter what the vet says, his is the final and definitive word. I have found over the years I can trust what he tells me 100% of the time

I cant imagine trying to breed with frozen this year or with no stallion on the property to help. It also doesnt help that 10-14 days ago we had snow, sleet, ice pellets and temperatures in the 30's and 40's and the last few days they have been in the 90's. The mares must be SO screwed up hormonally its not funny ...

What does he know that we don't? LOL

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueColours View Post

I cant imagine trying to breed with frozen this year or with no stallion on the property to help. It also doesnt help that 10-14 days ago we had snow, sleet, ice pellets and temperatures in the 30's and 40's and the last few days they have been in the 90's. The mares must be SO screwed up hormonally its not funny ...
    LOL- my mare was parked at my vets for breeding last year. The boy in the next paddock was as good an indicator as the u/s. She never truly sunk to teasing to him, but that mini donkey told us all we needed to know.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

Seems like those years just happen. There are years when I've just given up - start out thinking it will be 4 or 5 foals, and end up with one or two. And other years, the stars align and the semen swims straight! I had one year where TWO mares had hemoragic follicles. Like it was a contagious illness.

Those bad years are money pits, that is for sure

I have one mare here that I bred last year, but came back into heat.... I didn't rebreed. Late in winter she started chunking up... thought she was pregnant, but nope. Its June and she has yet to show a heat!! She will be getting a work up from the vet shortly.
    Had two clients mares come in for breeding and they were serviced fine (the first was a maiden and wasn't overy thrilled with the process).
    My teaser pony is out on loan so I have to use the stallion to tease and I HATE that. Can't wait for my WeeMan to come home lol!! I am hoping to cover 2-3 of my own this year, and two that I would like to breed have already had nice heats, so fingers crossed
    www.muskokalakesconnemaras.com
    Wonderful ponies for family or show!

My year too. I was hoping that it was not across the pond too, Alexandra. Here in FL, I am out of time for breeding as I don't want foals in the hot months. Things have to improve next year. I hope that your year gets better with the next cycle.

I got really lucky this year and both of mine caught first try, but I will say neither showed heat like they usually due. One I had to manipulate to make sure I knew when she was going to go. Just did the 30 day check and both are still in foal. Will check again on 60 days and hope to try and sex them.

Then I pray and get ulcers until the foals are on the ground and healthy. Why do we breed again?

Count me in as one who had a bad year too

I am frankly giving serious thought to "retiring" from breeding. This year both of my mares did get pregnant, and both lost it, one was gone at the 30 day check, and the other lost it sometime between 13 and 16 days then would not come back into season as her body was still thinking it was pregnant.

Ad that to last year having one absorb at 90-100 days, and the last 3 years trying to get one pregnant with no reason why she wouldn't take. So for me in 4 seasons trying with 10 mares(some of them are repeats) I got 4 foals and lost lots of money!

I recently started riding again and I may just stick with that!
    Check us out on Facebook at EVER AFTER FARM

Quote Originally Posted by TrueColours View Post
    So far - touch wood - we are at about 95-98% success with live cover and shipped semen breedngs for my stallion and for the outside stallion I am collecting for as well

But I do agree its been a nutty year. Mares hanging onto follicles until they get huge, so if you dont follow them through to ovulation, you may well have bred too early. Multiple follicles, mares not teasing one iota even though the vet says they are a breed today based on U/S findings. Mares being receptive for live covers for about 2 minutes and if you blink and miss it, thats it

I am SO fortunate that my stallion gets parked in his paddock right beside the mares we are watching so no matter what the vet says, his is the final and definitive word. I have found over the years I can trust what he tells me 100% of the time

I am also so fortunate to have stallions on the same property and not just one. I am so fortunate that the vet is really checking the mares very often. And she normally has a successrate over the years for about 98% with different stalliosn and mares and we are also so fortunate to be able to analyze the semen that goes into the mares.

I have never before heard that doing live cover does give you only a two minute window of reception.

I hear ya! this year has been a tough one for me too. i will not have a foal next year as my mare is recovering from colic surgery she had 24 hours after foaling this year. This years foal is exactly what I ordered...a stunning jet black filly! But she has some unexplained problem with an artery in her right rear leg that is getting CT scanned June 14th. Not one vet at Rood & Riddle, Cornell, UPenn, UC Davis, NC State and at Atlanta Equine have ever seen such a thing The good news is they all think it should be fixable once it is determined what it is.

So talk about an expensive year (no insurance on my broodie and foal's issue is now considered uninsurable)!!!!

This might be it for me too in regards to breeding. I may just stick to riding solely now.
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

I am sorry and empathize with everyone having issues - I am not out of the woods yet but did manage to get both mares pregnant - one with effort - but knock wood - not over worrying - great vet helps !
    At times, I wonder if Mother Nature isn't telling us something via reproductive "hiccups"- with all the wild weather and climate irregularities ? MN telegraphs: not THIS year

And Blume Farm - I had MY big colic 2 years ago DURING a pregnancy - also no insurance - ugh! But both did great - albeit for a lot of do-re-mi!!
    Good luck with filly!!!
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

Oh no - you misunderstood Alexandra!

Mares being receptive for live covers for about 2 minutes and if you blink and miss it, thats it
    and you commented:

I have never before heard that doing live cover does give you only a two minute window of reception. .
    Its just with Live Cover we have to be so sure that they are ready so the stallion and I dont both get the snot kicked out of us! Sometimes an idiot that knows nothing about horses can look and see they are VERY ready. This year, they are not showing the same. Instead of staying by the fence line all day long, squatting and peeing and driving the stallion crazy, they might wander over once. For 10 or 20 seconds, and thats it.

That what I meant when I said they "show" for maybe 2 minutes and thats it and if you arent standing there watching them all day long, you can blink and miss the fact they showed interest in the stallion for 2 minutes and thats all

Crazy year for sure ...

Update: For number three vet and I had a misunderstanding not does not get in heat, but was inseminated ... I received a message yesterday: Found an embryo !
    Londontime - Sandro Hit - Rouletto

3 members found this post helpful.

With live cover we breed every 48 hours until the mares say STOP and most of the time the mares are pregnant.
    Gwendolyn
    http://www.gestuet-falkenhorst.com
    Exceptional colored German WBs, TBs and Arabians

With live cover we breed every 48 hours until the mares say STOP and most of the time the mares are pregnant.
    Thats great - so do I - IF the mare is teasing and IF the stallion is showing any interest in her at all. But the one in now for breeding is showing "0" interest in him, He is showing "0" interest in her, as of yesterday she had a softening 40mm follicle and she still clamps her tail tight to her rear end and tries to sit down when he comes close. NO show at all. The vet says she's a breed - the mare and the stallion say differently when in close quarters. She squirts and pees for the gelding at home and lets him mount her all day long, every day, so its not like she is not used to something jumping up on her back

With this mare, I have to get the vet in every 2nd day to let me know what is going on. I would have no clue otherwise

Its SO frustrating! We are also debating putting her on Regumate 5 days out from ovulation in case this is a hormonal issue. She was like this last year and is exactly the same this year - hormonally she wants nothing to do with the whole breeding thing

this sounds like a strong maiden mare. If this happens here we give domosedan to the mare and twitch and hobble her and after the stallion has jumped on the sleeping beauty two or three times, they mostly let loose and let him do the deed, it just needs some extra efforts. We just had one of those today too. Palladium did a great job
    Gwendolyn
    http://www.gestuet-falkenhorst.com
    Exceptional colored German WBs, TBs and Arabians

Good to hear on Palladium Gwen!

Another factor that we may or may not be dealing with, on this mare

She was on Winstrol at the track and was VERY studdy. When she retired and this client bought her, when they put her in with the gelding (the one that loves her now and mounts her) she challenged him, he pinned his ears flat back and charged at her (totally not normal behaviour for him) and ran her through the fence and she got chewed up pretty badly. Her whinny is very deep and she bellows - its not a high pitched mare whinny and apparently if any new horses come into "her" herd, she exhibits stallion like behaviour towards them.

My stallion doesnt hate her and doesnt see her as a threat, but he has no interest in her.

Over 1 year later I cant see there is any testosterone residual in her system at all - can there be ???

If she was on heavy, long term doses of Winstrol, is it possible something hormonally / reproductively was irreperably damaged?

Vet is coming back out again tomorrow to check and see if she has ovulated. Crossing my fingers all we need to do is sit back and wait and see if she is in foal yet ...