The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Where might I find a foal sized neck cradle?

Long story short one of the weanlings has a nice row of sutures on his flank and keeps poking at them with his nose....

Any suggestions as to where a youngster sized cradle could be found?

TIA

My best suggestion would be to custom make one. Doesn't that sound like fun? A craft project with dowels & wooden beads & ... maybe baling twine?

Hmmmmm....craft project indeed. FWIW I called Jeffers and got the measurements of the horse size but it seems like it will be way too big - but I will need to check with an in-the-flesh version to be sure. Oh and while I'm at it - steal the design, too!

Probably a lot cheaper and easier to make with PVC pipe.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Good suggestion, Ghazzu. I think Tasker needs a large enough pipe to go around his neck, then cut it in half, put it on, & duct tape back together. Would that work? Might need to tape padding over the ends, I guess. Or does she need a bunch of little pipes strung together like a "real" neck cradle?

I was thinking lots of short pieces of lightweight 1" pipe, strung on baling twine, with end caps or duct tape so the ends don't rub the skin.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Just an idea for an alternative remedy...I've used cradles on horses for a lot of years..I'd be reluctant to use one on a "baby". They can get in a lot of trouble, get hung on things, scared, strangled!! We had a filly some years ago that had a major cut on her side. She was with my daughter and I was 1200 miles away. The cut was sutured nicely, but when it started to heal and itch she'd rip the stitches out with her teeth. After the third - restitching I made a suggestion to put an old horse blanket on her and thoroughly wet the blanket with "Raplast". A no chew product guaranteed to keep a horse from chewing. One good sniff of the foul smelling blanket and her suture chewing days came to an end!! Cut healed with no more ripping and no scarring. If that idea doesn't appeal to you...you can buy wooden cradles and saw the ends off to the proper length. Making sure to round the ends. Making one from scratch would take a good bit of time!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

I think crosscreeksporthorses has your answer! Why didn't I think of that? You can buy Raplast at Bartville. Do you have a baby sized blanket?

Thanks you guys for the suggestions. The neck cradle is a 'if we have to' option but it is quickly approaching 'we're going to have to' as his nose is bloody from poking at the sutures all night. We talked about the blanket idea with the vet but the problem is that he still has drains in and a ton of drainage coming out. So a blanket would be pressing the nastiness back onto the sutures and creating a plug.

FWIW - I love Raplast!!! It is a great product but is completely useless given the location of this wound.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

What about an Elizabethan Collar for a large dog?

SmartPak has a flexible one.

???

I dunno. Just seems like for a foal it might work.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

We went with a foal stable blanket...the neck cradle was far, far too big and it is too much of a risk to leave him unattended. So the sheet will come off once a day for a quick trip through the laundry and then go back on the young man.

Thanks for all the suggestions & good ideas!

I don't think we have a sheet but we do have a foal blanket or two (if they can be found!) If you want extras so you can wash twice a day, just let us know. I will warn you that a heavy dose of Raplast will not wash out. It ends up inside your washer & then all over the next load of clothes. I refuse to tell my husband what is on his clothes when that happens.

Speaking of Raplast "side effects"....have you ever used it...gotten some on your hands, then accidently rubbed your own eyes??? Or better yet...picked up a drinking glass or coffee cup, transferred the RL to the rim and then taken a drink??? EKKKKK!!! I used to sell Raplast in my tack shop. I had a customer who was in a high risk job and wasn't allowed to carry Mace. They had no such rules against Raplast - who would suspect it - and the woman always carried a spray bottle of the stuff...better than Mace she said!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma