The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Altamont Sport Horses View Post
    Por favor, nunca da Ud. alimento dulce a mi caballo. El debe comer Triple Crown Low Starch y no otra alimento excepto el heno. Si le come otro tipos de alimento el va a tener más ulceras en el estómago. Se duelen mucho las ulceras y el medication cuesta mucho dinero. Yo pagué mucho dinero durante el año pasado porque el tiene ulceras. Mucho gracias para su ayuda.

Translated to mean: Please, never feed sweet feed to my horse. He should eat Triple Crown Low Starch and no other feeds except hay. If he eats other types of feed he is going to have more ulcers in his stomach. Ulceras are very painful and the medication is very expensive. I paid a lot of money during the last year because he has ulcers. Thank you very much for your help.
    Thank you for this, ASH. I printed it out and put it on my horse's stall, with highlighted portions. I hemmed and hawed over doing it because I'm afraid it'll be taken the wrong way, but ultimately decided that it needs to be up there for all to see.

There are also a few "treat queens" at the barn who like to go around stuffing horses' faces with all kinds of treats, and being the ham that he is, my horse loves it. Not so good for his belly, though. I added to the above English paragraph, "ALSO, PLEASE DO NOT FEED HIM ANY HORSE TREATS." I know I'm going to get a lot of eye-rolling "stick-in-the-mud" accusations, but so be it. My standard response will be, "You can give him a treat if you buy him a tube of Gastrogard. That'll be $37, please."

I think the real trick, though, will be if anybody actually bothers to read the note. There seems to be a lot of selective illiteracy going around.

Oh man I'd be pissed.

Boarding can be rough. Always making concessions and trying to weigh the options. It is a constant struggle.

Sounds like you are on good terms with the BO though so hopefully she kicks some serious butt.... yikes that is a major, expensive mistake..... not to mention detrimental to your horse!

At least you found the root cause though, I suppose!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

I left a barn over a very similar situation. It made even madder when I got the vet bill for the gastroguard...

I'm glad it sounds like you can work it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritazza View Post
    Ugh!!! How awful. Welcome to my life as a boarder last year, except that instead of feeding the WRONG thing, they were saving themselves a buck by not feeding hay unless I was around to supervise.... at all. Literally, I think she was getting 1 flake a day, and probably not even on the day I wasn't there (which thankfully were rare).

It's time to pack up and go, for everybody's sake. Get him somewhere that is trustworthy, even if this person is your friend. It's better to just get out!
    Ritazza I must have boarded at the same barn as you because I used to watch them SPLIT single flakes (we are talking small flakes). That was it for me......that particular place was not cheap either.

I don't worry at all about the responsibility level of the person who does the feeding at my barn, but I have a horse with a difficult constitution, so I baggie up every feed, complete with supplements. It makes it incredibly easy and more or less fool proof for everyone.

If you really want to keep a close watch, label each baggie with the day of the week and put them out 7 at a time.

Sometimes, it's just easier to develop a working solution to the problem rather than up and move.

That's why I do partial care where I can buy and feed my own feed. I've done full care and 100% of the time they aren't feeding what they are supposed to feed or how much or whatever. I buy the most expensive hay around and feed a LOT of it (not that I'm bragging -- it still sucks!), but my board is $100 less every month than the cheapest full care barn around.

Sounds like otherwise you are happy and have likely fixed the problem. I know a lot of people who would pay a premium for a BO who would listen to her boarders and follow their instructions. Mistakes happen!

I'm going to agree with bagging up your own feed. You can label them AM and PM and just say you are making things easier for everyone. I've had to do it before, and no one had a problem with it. That way you will know for sure that your horse is eating the right grain, and you may not have to move to an even worse situation. I only leave four smartpaks at my current barn at a time, so I can check to see if they are being fed or not. They once went about four days without feeding any supplements, so I went straight to the board and wrote a big note. They've been much better about it lately. I just always keep a watchful eye out, and will keep reminding people as necessary.

Yup, I agree. Bag the food, a week's worth in advance. Get the gallon-sized baggies at the grocery store. They hold a good amount. This way you can stay with your friend, and control what your horse is fed. I have done it this way for years.

Yup. Bag the daily rations. Provide a container and the people feeding can return the plastic bags to the container.

Put up a "NO TREATS it will make the horse SICK" sign. That's about the only thing that other boarders will respond to. I have ALWAYS asked neighboring horse owners first and RESPECTED their responses in regard to those issues. One horse was not allowed treats, so I had permission to give him a handful of hay - which I did whenever I gave my horse something extra in his stall.

If this barn has everything else that works for you, stick with it. No matter where you go, there will be "things" and issues that will aggravate you - it's in our nature (horse owners. LOL).