The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone know what happened to Wanderin Boy today?

It was the Cigar Mile, he broke down at the top of the stretch. Matt C tut tutted, but then no one else mentioned it. Anyone? Anyone?
    Another killer of threads

Unfortunately I read on another forum that Wanderin Boy fractured the sesamoids in the left front and was euthanized.

From bloodhorse.com
    Wanderin Boy, a 7-year-old Seeking the Gold gelding who had a record of 9-6-3 from 24 career starts and earnings in excess of $1.2 million entering the Cigar MIle, fractured the sesamoids in his left-front leg and was euthanized. The horse, owned by Stone Farm and trained by Nick Zito, was pulled up by jockey John Velazquez as the field turned for home.
    RIP Wanderin Boy you will be missed.

He was one of my very favorites - game and speedy. So many top horses had to run the race of their lives to beat him. Such a shame - my reaction when I read about it isn't fit to print.

Poor boy, and my condolences to everyone who loved him. He was special.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

RIP Wanderin' Boy ~ another special TB crosses the Rainbow Bridge....
    ~Darci~
    "We have an obligation. We are their keepers." ~Roy Jackson

A somewhat disconcerting eulogy by Steve Haskin:

http://racing.bloodhorse.com/article/48251.htm

Bad business for good geldings, I guess.

This is just getting too heartbreaking. I love racing, but I'm so depressed by all the breakdowns/euthanasias. I'm just gonna' stop watching or reading about it!

-Christine

Except he wasn't a gelding. Keep that in mind the next time you feel like complaining about whisking one away to the breeding shed "too early."

I was watching on HRTV and those heartless so n sos didn't say anything! Although they had a lot to say about the 2yr old filly that broke down, and how they hoped she'd be back next yr. I guess if he would have won and then broke down, like her, he'd have merited some further mention
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Except he wasn't a gelding. Keep that in mind the next time you feel like complaining about whisking one away to the breeding shed "too early."
    What on earth made me think he was a gelding? I thought I'd read somewhere he was, but it's entirely possible that I leapt to the conclusion, just based on his age, I suppose. But I'm not one of those who complains when healthy horses retire from the track, for any reason.

Sorry I didn't mean you specifically when I said you. Its a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario that ended the worst possible way.

That just bites

Nick remarked the other day that as a trainer he wasn't enthusiastic about the Kentucky Derby chase as much he was about racing his fleet of older horses. On a weekend where 7-yr old Commentator lost in the Clark Handicap that was bad enough but to lhave to put down one of his most favorite runners it has to just break his heart.

Quote Originally Posted by grits View Post
    What on earth made me think he was a gelding? I thought I'd read somewhere he was, but it's entirely possible that I leapt to the conclusion, just based on his age, I suppose.
    The NYRA press release stated that he was a gelding. The Blood-Horse picked that up from the release and, for a while, their article called Wanderin Boy a gelding as well.

Wanderin Boy was a true sweetheart of a horse.

He sure was a warrior wasn't he!

I've always had a special interest in anything owned by Stone Farm. I used to own a son of Gato Del Sol (whom was owned by the Hancocks and just passed away) I always thought it was great how they brought him back home from Japan (I believe) so he would avoid slaughter. They sound like really nice people who really care about their horses.
    ~Darci~
    "We have an obligation. We are their keepers." ~Roy Jackson

I've always thought there should be a limit to how many surgeries, fractures, etc. Something that requires a horse like this to retire.
    I was at Keeneland when he broke his maiden and followed him since. He should have been allowed to retire. He, like many, deserved better.

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkers On View Post
    I've always thought there should be a limit to how many surgeries, fractures, etc. Something that requires a horse like this to retire.
    I was at Keeneland when he broke his maiden and followed him since. He should have been allowed to retire. He, like many, deserved better.
    What, in your opinion, is "deserving better"? That horse was bred to run. It was in his blood an obviously in his heart to run. Have you ever been to a TB breeding farm? ALL the horses were bred to run and they LOVE to do it. Wanderin Boy could have not ran well after his past injuries and probably would have been retired. BUT he didn't give up. He wanted to run, and therefore he ran well- even after injuries. That horse had heart and as sad as it is, he did die doing what he loved to do... run. I hate when they break down. But had he been retired, he could have done the same thing in the field. Just because a TB isn't racing anymore doesn't mean you can stop them from running their hearts out in the field... bad steps happen... in ALL sports and liesure. JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Nothinsweetr View Post
    What, in your opinion, is "deserving better"? That horse was bred to run. It was in his blood an obviously in his heart to run. Have you ever been to a TB breeding farm? ALL the horses were bred to run and they LOVE to do it. Wanderin Boy could have not ran well after his past injuries and probably would have been retired. BUT he didn't give up. He wanted to run, and therefore he ran well- even after injuries. That horse had heart and as sad as it is, he did die doing what he loved to do... run. I hate when they break down. But had he been retired, he could have done the same thing in the field. Just because a TB isn't racing anymore doesn't mean you can stop them from running their hearts out in the field... bad steps happen... in ALL sports and liesure. JMHO.
    Oh my Here we go with the "have you ever's"
    Well let's see.
    What is my opinion of deserving better.
    Uh not dying on the race track. Not running to his death. A different career before he dies in a horse ambulance.

Oooh Have I ever been to a breeding farm?
    Again yes. I have been both an employee on several BIG farms early on in my career in horse racing. Now I am a breeder. So again. Yes.

Yes TB's love to run. Which is something that makes a horse that has had countless fractures, along with some screws a horse that should be handled just about with kid gloves. He could have had a different end to his life. He could have had a much different death. That's our responsibility. To pull the plug and find them a new life before we end theirs. Many retire are retrained and live long productive lives off track. And that's a good thing, a very good thing. And I thank every human being like Laurierace who is committed to the race horse and saves the lives of countless. Who finds homes for as many as she can. Non stop and tirelessly.

Horses that don't quit and done give up are a danger to themselves sometimes and it is our duty to them to take care of a horse that won't quit trying, because they don't look after themselves. It's a special type of horse and it's the most hazardous type to an extent.

Bad steps do not happen. I didn't just fall off the turnip truck. I have never ever seen a sound horse break a leg. Nor will I. I've trained long enough and been around long enough to know and be disturbed somewhat by the "make it or break it" mentality of many. And sure a horse can certainly get hurt in a field. Unmanicured, gopher holes, fences to get cast in, social creatures that kick and can break legs on contact, etc etc.

Please don't preach to me about what I do for a living and have always done for a living. I do it pretty well. I've been around the good the bad and the ugly of this industry. And it's taught me lesson's I won't forget any time soon.

Have YOU ever stood on a track holding a horse that has a very broken leg. Or stood over one lying on the track that never gets up again. Have you ever had that fun ride in the back of an equine ambulance with a horse that has only minutes more to live. That ride in the wagon is one of the most disgusting things I've ever had to do. And one of the most heart breaking.
    Yes, he deserved better.

I had a bad feeling when I saw WB was entered in the Cigar... What a game horse he was and I'm sure his connections are devastated. I have his half brother Mt. Vidmore (full brother to graded stakes placed Vivid Sunset) who is a total class act, even as a breeding stallion. Obviously Wandering Boy was the same.

RIP...

Well let's see.
    What is my opinion of deserving better.
    Uh not dying on the race track. Not running to his death. A different career before he dies in a horse ambulance.

Bad steps do not happen. I didn't just fall off the turnip truck. I have never ever seen a sound horse break a leg. Nor will I. I've trained long enough and been around long enough to know and be disturbed somewhat by the "make it or break it" mentality of many. And sure a horse can certainly get hurt in a field. Unmanicured, gopher holes, fences to get cast in, social creatures that kick and can break legs on contact, etc etc. [/B]
    You can not deny though that the horse did not LOVE what he did. His connections cared about him enough that had he NOT wanted to run anymore, they would have retired him.

And yes, bad steps do happen... I've taken a bad step and sprained my ankle. I've seen horses out in fields just stumble and step funny and wah-la, injured leg or pulled/torn muscle. I've seen a horse trot around a perfect footed arena (in a flat class at a hunter show) and go down after his rider asking him to lengthen his stride. He simply put his weigh in the wrong spot at the wrong time. He had never been lame a day in his life and was in the best shape a 12 yr old horse could be in. He hadn't been broke until he was 4yrs old, was never pushed hard, but kept fit and in shape. Sh*t happens. Horses don't have to have had soundness issues to take bad steps or stumbles.

It's no point arguing, I was just pointing out that TBs DO love to run and yes, he very well could have done the same thing in a field with the same result. At least he didn't die of neglect, starvation or abuse... He was loved up to the end and will always be loved. By his connections and by the public. It is a shame... I feel bad for him and his connections no matter what.

Bad steps do not happen. I didn't just fall off the turnip truck. I have never ever seen a sound horse break a leg. Nor will I. I've trained long enough and been around long enough to know and be disturbed somewhat by the "make it or break it" mentality of many. And sure a horse can certainly get hurt in a field. Unmanicured, gopher holes, fences to get cast in, social creatures that kick and can break legs on contact, etc etc. [/B]
    You have been very fortunate - My totally sound 17 yr OTTB - in front of my own eyes - suffered a spiral fracture of his right knee while cantering in our pasture. I was right there admiring how nice he looked... No one kicked him, no one was chasing him, his knee locked, broke and came out the side of his leg - there were bone fragments on the ground and he was bleeding profusely as an artery was severed. BAD STEPS DO HAPPEN, but I do wonder about Wandering Boy and all his past injuries.

Pat Ness