The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    splash2009 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CAJumper View Post
    I'd be curious to know how much the Innovations are selling for. I have one that I need to put on ebay this week, but honestly didn't know where to start the pricing. They are great saddles, I hate to part with mine!
    [edit]
    Last edited by admin; Apr. 7, 2010 at 03:10 PM. Reason: to remove wanted advertising

I've a Pro-Fit that is in great condition (has that nice patina from consistent good care) that I am thinking of selling. I liked this saddle much better than the newer Stabilizer's, Innovations and such. It has a little deeper seat which is nice in the jumpers. I'm seeing prices all over the board like some said anywhere from $600 to $1700...how on earth do you set a fair price??

I paid $3200 for a lightly used County Innovation in Bull Leather. My County rep just told me that I can probably sell it for $3500. So seems like you'd probably be in the $2500-$3500 range for a newish used Innovation.

I have a Stabilizer XTR and an Innovation and there are definitely some differences. I don't find that my Innovation is any deeper than my Stabilizer, but it does have a much more forward balance. I LOVE where it puts me for the big jumps. Having said that, I rode in my Stabilizer through the AO Jumpers and never had any complaints (until I got my Innovation, that is ). The seat size is also a little different. A 17" in a Stabilizer is bigger than a 17" in an Innovation (I hope I got that right....if you ride in a 17" saddle you can likely do a 17 1/2" in an Innovation). And the trees are a little wider on the Innovation, so if you need a medium tree in a Stabilizer, you might find that you need a medium-narrow in the Innovation.

I would highly suggest contacting your local County rep and having them come out to do a fitting. That way you can figure out what you like and what you need and then go about finding exactly what they fitted TO YOU. The rep can also look in the used/demo inventory to see if they have what you need at a price you can pay.
    Last edited by PNWjumper; May. 14, 2009 at 10:51 PM. Reason: had the sizing backwards which someone just PM'ed me about! :-)

Check out Trumbull Mountain Tack shop online. I have bought my used County saddle from them in the past and found them to be extermely reasonable. I would call them as well because sometimes they have some they have not listed yet. I bought mine which was in good condition for about $1,500. They let you ride in the saddle for a week with your irons. I would also call your local County rep. Good luck!!! I love mine and so do my horses.

Recently bought an 18" stabilizer xtr narrow with skid row panels on ebay brand new for $2k. Exactly what I needed and although I wasn't ready to spend the money I figured that same saddle was not going to come around at that price again so I bought it. Love it! I have bought several county saddles new and a few used on ebay but I know what models work for me and my horses.

Cool! I just bought a used County Stablilizer! It's a 17', narrow, w/ skid row panels, low, forward flap. OP, mine was much cheaper.Guess it depends! It's also six years old, that might have affected the $$$. Most importantly, it fits my boy. All my horses before him have been wide. Extremely wide. I never knew how hard it is to find narrow saddles!

Quote Originally Posted by sobriquet View Post
    Straightforward question here. I really want to consider the County saddles as my next saddle as I've been on an unending quest for something that actually fits me and puts my leg in the correct position, and I've heard great reviews of all their saddles. But you don't see many used ones for sale (I'll take that as a good sign, people don't want to get rid of them?). Can I get a range of prices I would expect to pay for a used one, of course it will depend on the individual saddle too, but maybe a low end people have seen and up?

Thanks.
    I have paid 700 to 900 for the 2 I bought used on Ebay. They are certainly not new but in good shape. I did have to cruise Ebay for some time to get what I wanted at that price.....but with patience it can be done! A lot depends on HOW old/used it is of course......for a nearly new one you are probably looking at closer to 2K+.

I just got a great deal on a Stabilizer, demo, for 1600. That's a pretty outstanding price for a demo, I got lucky! You'll be spending a bit more on an innovation I believe; I rode in that one and liked it but didn't fit my horse as well. Good luck, I love my County!

Default prices for used County saddles

I sold my County Innovation for $2500 not too long ago - it was the high-end bull leather and cost $4000 new, was in excellent condition. A friend sold hers for about the same, so I think this is a good ballpark figure. As it happens, I know of another County Innovation, also in the bull leather, that is for sale now in my barn. It's a 17.5 narrow tree, with the skid row panels, in very good condition also. I should point out that the County saddles tend to run wide, so the narrow tree will probably fit a horse that normally takes a medium. Mine was a narrow tree, and it fit my fairly wide warmblood cross. P.M. me if you'd like more details on this saddle.

Default Pricing of Used County saddles

Hey all,

I'm having a tough time finding a used county with skid row panels. I'm looking for an Innovation, but would definitely try a Pro-fit or Stablizer (Symmetry). Seat size 18, I think. The county rep had a demo that fit my horse perfectly, but they wouldn't sell it. It was a 17.5, which felt a little snug to me; she told me that she would probably stick to a 17.5 for my horse (he's a little bit short-backed--I can post a picture of the saddle on him and separately, for you guys to judge. I do need forward flap, medium tree, brown.

How much should I expect to spend? I can't stomach the new prices for County, and am also trying Black Country as the quality seems same and the prices are about half for new saddles. Also, the turnaround time is 3 weeks!

thanks! kris

To all on this thread, I'll remind you that it's against the Forum Rules to advertise For Sale or Wanted items! General discussions about pricing are acceptable, but not specific conversations about items for sale or wanted.

Moderator 3

I just purchased a almost new county innovation with the upgraded leather and panels and paid $2800. I also looked at a few demos that were all priced above $3000 for the upgraded leather. It is also my understanding that a county saddle cannot be sold as a demo until it is at least three years old- not that it really matters they are all in excellent condition - but just a bit older models.

I also noticed that they are really hard to find used! I searched on ebay and couldn't find anything. I got really lucky and just happened across the perfect one in a tack store. Someone had basically ordered the saddle and then quit riding.

The other models seem to be less expensive and more available used.

They are definitely worth the money though - I love mine.

I just sent back an 18" stabilizer wide tree that didn't fit either me or my horse that the person was asking $1700 neg.
    Common sense is the least common thing in the world.

Pictures: http://community.webshots.com/album/62832282gErEqu

Default County saddles

Yeah, I can't find any on ebay (or anywhere else, for that matter) either, except for one that's been advertised for months and months--it's a narrow, and they want $3500.

I bet that as soon as I order a different saddle, the market floods with Countys. What do you think?

Frustrating part: A county rep in another state (who I didn't realize was a rep at first) was advertising on her site that she had lots of demos for sale. Her email address was a private one, not with "county" in it. I contacted her, and she said she had both a 17.5 and an 18 available, and that she was happy to send them to me for trial. Then, when she asked where I lived and I told her, she refused to work with me further and told me I had to go through my own rep. My own rep (a super person) has been looking for me as well, and knows I've been trolling the internet and contacting tack shops and saddle fitters all over the country. I tried to explain this to the other person, but no go--even though I'd cc'd my rep on the email(s).

It left a really bad taste in my mouth. I've heard a lot about County having poor customer service, but since my own rep has been so great, I didn't think too much about it. Now I wonder. Since I've had such a great experience with Trumbull Mtn, and the BC saddles seem so similar, maybe I'll be better off going with BC.

Since we're discussing County saddles . . . my trainer has an older (not quite sure how old) County Competitor (the close contact, not the dressage) that is very comfortable and fits my high-withered TB mare very well. I can't find this model on County's website, and I'm sure it has been replaced by another model. Does anyone know anything about the Competitor model, or what current model would be closest to it? We don't have a County rep in the area, so having someone come out is not an option.
    ~*Friend of bar.ka*~

Quote Originally Posted by 3DogNight View Post
    We don't have a County rep in the area, so having someone come out is not an option.
    Unless he quit doing it, yes you do. He lives right over in Washtenaw County. http://www.greatlakessaddles.com/services

[edit]
    Last edited by admin; Apr. 15, 2010 at 08:37 PM. Reason: to remove advertising
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    Unless he quit doing it, yes you do. He lives right over in Washtenaw County. http://www.greatlakessaddles.com/services
    Thank you for the link. I will definitely contact him. His name did not come up in any of the searches I tried for this area.
    ~*Friend of bar.ka*~

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    Thank you for the link! I had Jeff come out and measure my horse and myself, and if I can convince my husband that I need to spend $4100 on a new saddle, I'm going to end up with a brand new Stabilizer XTR, bull leather, with all the appropriate gullets and channels for my mare and pencil rolls and calf blocks for myself. I'm hoping it doesn't take much convincing, as after sitting in the demo models he brought out, it's very difficult to sit in my current saddle.

Any ideas (other than the obvious) for buttering up DH? I really want this saddle!
    ~*Friend of bar.ka*~

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by 3DogNight View Post
    (other than the obvious)
    That usually works!! Good Luck!!
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

1 members found this post helpful.